This is a nice time...

WinnipegFats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By WinnipegFats

I finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution the other day, and while Skyrim is sitting there on my shelf calling to me, it is too large a game to start in on with Mass Effect 3 looming so close in the future. I'm taking this time to clean up some games I never finished but did start. I managed to finish Outland finally (awesome game) and now I will be dividing my time between the disappointing Resident Evil 5 and the lovely Bastion. No idea why I stopped Bastion before seeing it through.

This will be a nice time to get through a couple entries on that backlog before diving face-first into Mass Effect and that hot blast of Sci-fi should set me up nicely for a Fantasy chaser via Skyrim.

Of course with my schedule, that means by the time I'm done Skyrim it will be Christmas 2012 and the cycle will start over again. Oh well. There are worse problems I suppose.

*so proud of myself for actually typing up a blog entry before I had to flip another page on the calendar.

WinnipegFats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By WinnipegFats

I finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution the other day, and while Skyrim is sitting there on my shelf calling to me, it is too large a game to start in on with Mass Effect 3 looming so close in the future. I'm taking this time to clean up some games I never finished but did start. I managed to finish Outland finally (awesome game) and now I will be dividing my time between the disappointing Resident Evil 5 and the lovely Bastion. No idea why I stopped Bastion before seeing it through.

This will be a nice time to get through a couple entries on that backlog before diving face-first into Mass Effect and that hot blast of Sci-fi should set me up nicely for a Fantasy chaser via Skyrim.

Of course with my schedule, that means by the time I'm done Skyrim it will be Christmas 2012 and the cycle will start over again. Oh well. There are worse problems I suppose.

*so proud of myself for actually typing up a blog entry before I had to flip another page on the calendar.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Nice blog. I am so close to finishing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but a certain boss fight has me by the ass. Only if I would have chosen differently, I could use my augmentations. Oh well, I've read I can brute force my way through it by saving and trying over and over. Great game other than the boss fights.

WinnipegFats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WinnipegFats

@Claude: Man, those boss fights. Blech. I cheesed every one of them eventually.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By sungahymn

@WinnipegFats: I always wanted to like that game, but it was too...hm, how do I put this..

Let me put it this way: the last time I played the game, I decided to go on a murder rampage. So I killed EVERYONE on the street. Then I hid the bodies behind counters, into manholes, and inside backrooms. I then decided to clean up another street. The cops noticed me killing someone, so they tried to shoot me. I high-profile melee killed the two police officers and my heat went away. Then I realized that what I did was utterly pointless. So I asked why I did this. My answer: I was tired of the game. I kept sneaking around buildings and stealth killing people, so I just wanted a change of pace. But cleaning the streets wasn't fun either. It was random murder, and I wasn't penalized or anything. The A.I. didn't respond to how I killed around thirty civilians. So I just turned it off. Some time later, I uninstalled Deux Ex and never wanted to play it.

Neat ideas, but the world just felt fake to me.

WinnipegFats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WinnipegFats

@sungahymn: Yes, totally agree. I had a similar experience before I went back to my "canon" save. It was an easily breakable experience. I described it to a friend as "the most closed open-world game I've played so far"

If you play by their rules, it's a great experience most of the time, but you have to play the role you are given the way it's given to you to get the most out of the world that has been built. Given that, it's a great world. It just has some caveats.