This is the reason why the Xbox 360 does so poorly in Japan.

• 82 results
L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By L4wz

I wouldn't buy my Xbox 360 if that was the commerical they aired here in the states!
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By delta_ass

Apparently, the Xbox 360 is a machine that causes guys to smack their thighs and sing in the streets?

<Jeff>That commercial is crazy Japanese</Jeff>

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

It caters for the local audience.  I don't think you would buy anything in Japan based on their commercials. 

Me, I love the zaniness (from my western perspective) of Japanese entertainment.  Doesn't put me off.

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By L4wz
@oldschool said:
"It caters for the local audience.  I don't think you would buy anything in Japan based on their commercials.  Me, I love the zaniness (from my western perspective) of Japanese entertainment.  Doesn't put me off. "

Do you mind explaining why it took the Xbox 360 4 years to finally reach 1,000,000 units if it caters to the audience?
GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By GeneralTurkle
@L4wz said:
" @oldschool said:
"It caters for the local audience.  I don't think you would buy anything in Japan based on their commercials.  Me, I love the zaniness (from my western perspective) of Japanese entertainment.  Doesn't put me off. "
Do you mind explaining why it took the Xbox 360 4 years to finally reach 1,000,000 units if it caters to the audience? "
Local audience? like he said.  PS3 is made in Japan, and has alot of games catered towards what they like.  360 is made in America, catered towards what we like.
CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I would also run after them in angry mob style if i saw them in real life wearing those flamboyant clothes.

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By L4wz
@GeneralTurkle said:
" @L4wz said:
" @oldschool said:
Do you mind explaining why it took the Xbox 360 4 years to finally reach 1,000,000 units if it caters to the audience? "
Local audience? like he said.  PS3 is made in Japan, and has alot of games catered towards what they like.  360 is made in America, catered towards what we like. "

Xbox 360 has tons of JRPG's on the console, more so then the PS3. So if I were in Japan and I offered a free New York stake, no one would take it?
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By AgentJ
@L4wz said:
" @oldschool said:
 Maybe because they don't give a rip about Microsoft? or because the XBOX has few games that appeal to that audience? Or because they'd rather buy consoles from Japanese companies? There's lots of reasons. Think of all the games you would associate with "must buy" on the 360. None of those games have sold very well in Japan. They are more interested in Monster Hunter than Gears of War.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Black_Raven

Doesn't seem any more ridiculous than any other Japanese commercial.

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By L4wz
@AgentJ said:
" @L4wz said:
" @oldschool said:
 Maybe because they don't give a rip about Microsoft? or because the XBOX has few games that appeal to that audience? Or because they'd rather buy consoles from Japanese companies? There's lots of reasons. Think of all the games you would associate with "must buy" on the 360. None of those games have sold very well in Japan. They are more interested in Monster Hunter than Gears of War. "

I still blame the commercial.
baconbits33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By baconbits33
@CornontheCobbe said:
" I would also run after them in angry mob style if i saw them in real life wearing those flamboyant clothes. "
That's the style in Asia dude, for this new generation looking like a female is what the Japanese, Korean, and from what I hear Chinese like.
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By iamjohn

You're fully aware that this ad is, like, four years old and they don't use it anymore, right?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
@AgentJ said:
" @L4wz said:
" @oldschool said:
 Maybe because they don't give a rip about Microsoft? or because the XBOX has few games that appeal to that audience? Or because they'd rather buy consoles from Japanese companies? There's lots of reasons. Think of all the games you would associate with "must buy" on the 360. None of those games have sold very well in Japan. They are more interested in Monster Hunter than Gears of War. "
My point wasn't about sales, but in fact how to get sales.  Whether it works or not is a side issue.  These ads are perhaps designed to help the Japanese forget what a crap piece of unreliable hardware they are about to purchase?  The fact that there are a lot of JRPGs on the 360 (which is why I bought one) is irrelevant, they just don't care for the 360 and all those JRPGs have not been system sellers.  Also, a lotend on the PS3 anyway (Star Ocean, Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vesperia).
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

They get motion sickness very easily when they play first person shooter games. Joke aside, Nintendo and Sony got there first.

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By L4wz
@ThePhantomnaut said:
"They get motion sickness very easily when they play first person shooter games. Joke aside, Nintendo and Sony got their first. "

So Japan has to get used to Microsoft first before they start buying their stuff?
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentJ
@L4wz said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
"They get motion sickness very easily when they play first person shooter games. Joke aside, Nintendo and Sony got their first. "
So Japan has to get used to Microsoft first before they start buying their stuff? "
You could say that, though its more that Nintendo and Sony already have that market locked up. 
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@L4wz said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
"They get motion sickness very easily when they play first person shooter games. Joke aside, Nintendo and Sony got there first. "
So Japan has to get used to Microsoft first before they start buying their stuff? "
Well they got used to it with a cholesterol inducing burger named after the latest OS.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
@AgentJ said:
" @L4wz said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
You could say that, though its more that Nintendo and Sony already have that market locked up.  "
When you have a good and reliable provider(s), why look at the newcomer?  Microsoft weren't bringing anything special to the table.  It isn't xenophobic to believe that this USA corporation doesn't understand the local market.  It will take many more years for Microsoft to gain a real foothold in Japan and by that time, the console era will be over.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By lordofultima

I dunno, if anything that video proves that marketing doesn't work in Japan. I just seen that video and ran and bought six 360's, it was that good.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brendan
@oldschool said:
" @AgentJ said:
" @L4wz said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
You could say that, though its more that Nintendo and Sony already have that market locked up.  "
When you have a good and reliable provider(s), why look at the newcomer?  Microsoft weren't bringing anything special to the table.  It isn't xenophobic to believe that this USA corporation doesn't understand the local market.  It will take many more years for Microsoft to gain a real foothold in Japan and by that time, the console era will be over. "

True, and if you look at the history of Japanese consumers, the market has always been extremely insular towards foreign products.  Basically the Japanese always prefer to buy there own stuff, it's almost apart of their culture.  Kind of like how NA's buy stuff from China XD
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By toowalrus

You kidding? Japan LOVES weird boy-band pop music. Have you listened to the intro to Street Fighter IV?

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Karmum
@L4wz said:
" @oldschool said:
It's not like Japan likes all American made products. That's why it has taken four years to for it to reach 1 million sales in Japan. No games to cater to its audience.
L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By L4wz
@Karmum said:
" @L4wz said:
" @oldschool said:
It's not like Japan likes all American made products. That's why it has taken four years to for it to reach 1 million sales in Japan. No games to cater to its audience. "

What do you mean, the 360 has tons of JRPGs
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Karmum
@L4wz said:

" @Karmum said:

" @L4wz said:
" @oldschool said:
It's not like Japan likes all American made products. That's why it has taken four years to for it to reach 1 million sales in Japan. No games to cater to its audience. "
What do you mean, the 360 has tons of JRPGs "
What do you define as "ton?" It doesn't have much more than a PS3 would have. Even though the JRPGs are made in well, Japan, it's still an American based console they would be buying it on. Wonder why there isn't going to be a FF13 X360 Japan port?

Sales wouldn't even be close between PS3 / X360 in Japan. Both Square Enix and Microsoft know that.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgentJ
@L4wz: Not really. And even the ones it does have don't sell well (though they are probably among the best sellers). Compare the JRPGs on the 360 to the numbers on the PS2, DS, or even PS3/Wii, and it doesn't compare. And the biggest problem in the JRPG regard that it doesn't have the most important franchises: Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy. 
L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By L4wz
@Karmum said:
"@L4wz said:

" @Karmum said:

" @L4wz said:
" @oldschool said:
What do you define as "ton?" It doesn't have much more than a PS3 would have. Even though the JRPGs are made in well, Japan, it's still an American based console they would be buying it on. Wonder why there isn't going to be a FF13 X360 Japan port?  Sales wouldn't even be close between PS3 / X360 in Japan. Both Square Enix and Microsoft know that. "

Running by the logic Sony and Nintendo consoles wouldn't sell much because those are Japanese based consoles in American territory.
Matte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Matte

Japan also develops a lot of dating sim and visual novel games that probably would not do to well State side.  Different cultures, different tastes.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@Matte said:
" Japan also develops a lot of dating sim and visual novel games that probably would not do to well State side.  Different cultures, different tastes. "
like Rapelay?
delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29  Edited By delta_ass
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @Matte said:
" Japan also develops a lot of dating sim and visual novel games that probably would not do to well State side.  Different cultures, different tastes. "
like Rapelay? "
Nah dude... that's just regular rape. Boring.

We're talkin crazy tentacle rape.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RsistncE

I think it's pretty obvious why western made consoles and video games aren't doing well...the Japanese are becoming extremely xenophobic due to their own failing game industry and actually will refuse to buy superior western products.

L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By L4wz
@RsistncE said:
"I think it's pretty obvious why western made consoles and video games aren't doing well...the Japanese are becoming extremely xenophobic due to their own failing game industry and actually will refuse to buy superior western products. "

Wow. In addition to being a Halo hating troll you are a racist. Go Figure.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By breadfan

No Caption Provided
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By oldschool
@L4wz said:
" @Karmum said:
"@L4wz said:

" @Karmum said:

" @L4wz said:
" @oldschool said:
What do you define as "ton?" It doesn't have much more than a PS3 would have. Even though the JRPGs are made in well, Japan, it's still an American based console they would be buying it on. Wonder why there isn't going to be a FF13 X360 Japan port?  Sales wouldn't even be close between PS3 / X360 in Japan. Both Square Enix and Microsoft know that. "
Running by the logic Sony and Nintendo consoles wouldn't sell much because those are Japanese based consoles in American territory. "
No, because Sony and Nintendo were in it before Microsoft and have established their credentials.  In Japan, Microsoft have not established a decent name.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By oldschool
@L4wz said:
" @RsistncE said:
"I think it's pretty obvious why western made consoles and video games aren't doing well...the Japanese are becoming extremely xenophobic due to their own failing game industry and actually will refuse to buy superior western products. "
Wow. In addition to being a Halo hating troll you are a racist. Go Figure. "
Western superior products?  That was just a joke right?
Matte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Matte
@Delta_Ass said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @Matte said:
like Rapelay? "
Nah dude... that's just regular rape. Boring. We're talkin crazy tentacle rape. "
Tentacle rape is the least of it, but I was taking about dating sims...not rape sims...
L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By L4wz
@oldschool said:
" @L4wz said:
" @Karmum said:
"@L4wz said:

" @Karmum said:

" @L4wz said:
" @oldschool said:
Running by the logic Sony and Nintendo consoles wouldn't sell much because those are Japanese based consoles in American territory. "
No, because Sony and Nintendo were in it before Microsoft and have established their credentials.  In Japan, Microsoft have not established a decent name. "

It seems like the Xbox 360 is doing a better in Japan then before because it selling twice as more then it used to in Japan.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AgentJ
@RsistncE said:
" I think it's pretty obvious why western made consoles and video games aren't doing well...the Japanese are becoming extremely xenophobic due to their own failing game industry and actually will refuse to buy superior western products. "
I'm not sure whether to post a facepalm or a lolcat.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AgentJ
@L4wz: It's doing better than before, but it's still not doing well. It's got a lot of work to do
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RsistncE
@AgentJ said:

" @RsistncE said:

" I think it's pretty obvious why western made consoles and video games aren't doing well...the Japanese are becoming extremely xenophobic due to their own failing game industry and actually will refuse to buy superior western products. "
I'm not sure whether to post a facepalm or a lolcat. "
The part about their Xenophobia I was being 100% serious about. Go ahead and look it up; I think it was a Capcom dev who was talking about how bad it has gotten in Japan in regards to western developed games. They even have a derogatory term now for western developed games. It's classic xenophobia, it's not like Japan is the first to act in such a way. It's completely expected that when an industry is failing in one country while the similar industry in another country is booming, the country with the failing economy will try to artificially or forcibly boost sales of it's own product and decrease sales of the foreign product. It's common sense really.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AgentJ
@RsistncE said:
" @AgentJ said:

" @RsistncE said:

The part about their Xenophobia I was being 100% serious about. Go ahead and look it up; I think it was a Capcom dev who was talking about how bad it has gotten in Japan in regards to western developed games. They even have a derogatory term now for western developed games. It's classic xenophobia, it's not like Japan is the first to act in such a way. It's completely expected that when an industry is failing in one country while the similar industry in another country is booming, the country with the failing economy will try to artificially or forcibly boost sales of it's own product and decrease sales of the foreign product. It's common sense really. "
It's less about the Xenophobia and more about the "Superior Western Product"
L4wz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By L4wz
@AgentJ said:
" @L4wz: It's doing better than before, but it's still not doing well. It's got a lot of work to do "

I bet if Final Fantasy XIII were exclusive to the Xbox 360 in Japan, sales of the 360 would be off the charts.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RsistncE
@AgentJ said:
" @RsistncE said:
" @AgentJ said:

" @RsistncE said:

The part about their Xenophobia I was being 100% serious about. Go ahead and look it up; I think it was a Capcom dev who was talking about how bad it has gotten in Japan in regards to western developed games. They even have a derogatory term now for western developed games. It's classic xenophobia, it's not like Japan is the first to act in such a way. It's completely expected that when an industry is failing in one country while the similar industry in another country is booming, the country with the failing economy will try to artificially or forcibly boost sales of it's own product and decrease sales of the foreign product. It's common sense really. "
It's less about the Xenophobia and more about the "Superior Western Product" "
Yeah that part was a little tongue in cheek, although you could argue from the market dynamics perspective and safely say that a product that is more successful than another product is the superior product. Although that's another topic for another day.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AgentJ
@L4wz: Oh no question. Guess you didn't see the PS3 sales when the demo disc was released, but because of the consoles price and early lack of games, it was repeatedly being outsold by the 360. It wasn't competing with the Wii until XIII came into the equation.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AgentJ
@RsistncE: Right, but if anyone here followed that logic than everyone would agree that the Wii is the best console of the generation
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RsistncE
@AgentJ: Like I said, that argument only stands from the Economic theory perspective. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of Japanese games and series which I love (the MGS series ranks in my top 3), I just think the energy the Japanese are wasting in trying to avoid a more successful market were be better put to use to innovate and save their own failing game industry.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By JJOR64

Makes me lawl that people still YouTube spam.

On Topic:  WTF!?

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47  Edited By LaszloKovacs

Something about this screams mid 90s American TV.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AgentJ
@RsistncE: I don't see where this "failing" business is coming from. Seems to me more western developers have gone under than japanese ones.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Skald
@L4wz: The Japanese don't like buying foreign goods. That's the reason.
yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By yetiantics

like we do any better?