#1 Posted by mehojevich (23 posts) -

No division. Less fan boys. No more nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft.
Maybe next generation (whenever that is) will bring more drama at e3 lol

#2 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1328 posts) -

Hopefully this is the last year of many shitty e3s in a row. I think the next gen consoles will really bring some excitement back, because right now with hardly any games there is not much to be found.

#3 Posted by Dalai (7002 posts) -
@mehojevich said:
No division. Less fan boys. No more nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft. Maybe next generation (whenever that is) will bring more drama at e3 lol
Yep. We hate them all now. 

I see the next E3 being much better than in recent years since Microsoft and/or Sony will likely be showcasing hardware and hardware always gets attention. Unless you're Nintendo hardware, then people just bitch and moan.
#4 Posted by BonOrbitz (2175 posts) -

I don't think it's because of a lack of division or less "fanboyism" but because too much is revealed or leaked before the show. Fuck fanboyism and all it's useless banter and arguments.

#5 Posted by me3639 (1729 posts) -

Too many leaks, too many games, too many conventions, too many not showing up.

#6 Posted by Ares42 (2589 posts) -

The reason E3 lost is hype is pretty simple. Broadcasting. It's just a lesson of reality now that we as consumers get to see how lame the shows really are instead of just read about "the awesome gaming convention".

#7 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

The I hope all E3 are like this get your fudging fanboys back to 2007 where they belong.

#8 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

The reason E3 lost is hype is pretty simple. Broadcasting. It's just a lesson of reality now that we as consumers get to see how lame the shows really are instead of just read about "the awesome gaming convention".

Not true, e3 has changed alot since SpikeTV/G4, and web streaming started to bring in huge numbers of people. The big three are realizing that there is no point in appealing specifically to the core audience as mainstream audiences are a large part of the viewership as well. E3 has changed in its definition over the years in terms of the convention as well. Pre-2007 e3 was still the best kind, after the convention was scaled to be much smaller, the ESA has been trying to find something inbetween the pre-2007 e3 and the 2007 e3, which were a huggggeeeee contrast.

#9 Posted by KaneRobot (1432 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

Not really. When the 360 first was released, the following E3 was fantastic. As we watched our choppy & shitty streams on whatever websites had them, we saw that trailers were going up at the same time they were being shown at E3 & they even announced an XBLA release during the show with a "and you can go download it right now" - if Doom were released on XBLA today, who cares. But back then it was pretty awesome to have them do something like that specifically for an audience that wasn't there.

You are right that it's simple though - It's not broadcasting or lack of fanboys or anything else. If the show is lame, it's because companies aren't putting thought and effort into surprising & impressing us. Now in the case of this year, the end-of-cycle factor is definitely part of it, but that doesn't really excuse the few years prior to this.

#10 Posted by addictedtopinescent (3645 posts) -

I agree, so far in the life cycle of the current gen each console has found a niche audience and is focused on pushing out games to satisfy these people.

That being said though, I'd be willing to play this gen for at least another few years.

#11 Posted by Ares42 (2589 posts) -

@endless_void:The "mainstream-ification" has only to do with where the business has been going. I think Jeff illustrated it pretty well when he described this years conferences as average. As a long-time E3 participant he's just used to this stuff. Remember things like how Sonys conferences used to be like 50% showing numbers and talking about how PS2 was awesome. The shows have never been anything amazing, all the hype was just the game reveals (which again, now are already revealed during broadcasted pre-shows etc).

#12 Posted by ShaggE (6343 posts) -

Give me underwhelming E3s over infantile fanboy wars any day.

#13 Posted by Irvandus (2826 posts) -

It's because everyone hates every video game company now.

#14 Edited by endless_void (706 posts) -

@Ares42 said:

@endless_void:The "mainstream-ification" has only to do with where the business has been going. I think Jeff illustrated it pretty well when he described this years conferences as average. As a long-time E3 participant he's just used to this stuff. Remember things like how Sonys conferences used to be like 50% showing numbers and talking about how PS2 was awesome. The shows have never been anything amazing, all the hype was just the game reveals (which again, now are already revealed during broadcasted pre-shows etc).

I think the mainstream audiences have become a major part of the video game industry, products like wii fit, dance central, appeal to them, etc. What I find peculiar is that this is a convention attracting a majority of core games (being most of the press and the thousands of us watching this online)....However I feel like the focus at these conferences is that mainstream content, which isn't geared for the dedicated gamers like us.

Perhaps the reasoning behind this kind of content being shown is companies like Sony wanted to avoid the company's earnings reports (which I actually enjoyed listening to) and replaced that with things like ps move titles or the party games. I'm just thinking back to the 2006 conferences and even though Sony made a joke of themselves at that conference, I still feel like the big three had something to show and it was exciting. 2006 marked the year of a new generation of consoles as well which automatically made it filled with lots of hardware announcements and we were finally shown what these new consoles were capable of. 2005 was the same for microsoft. I just hope when ps4/next xbox is announced, that the shift in focus is back onto the core gamer.

#15 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

a lot of things are being leaked now. people already know what is coming out before E3.

#16 Posted by Raven10 (1736 posts) -

I think one of the big problems is that so much is announced or leaked beforehand. The only game that had zero leaks before the show started and actually showed gameplay was Watch Dogs and it blew everyone away. There were a lot of impressive games at the show this year just the vast majority were sequels and most of them had been shown before the show started or leaked the week before. I don't think EA announced a single game at their press conference. Ubisoft won this E3 simply by having several games on display that no one had seen before. I question why Sony announced almost every game it was going to show before E3. It feels like it would have been a lot smarter to save the God of War and Playstation All Stars reveals for the actual press conference. By showing stuff off the month before they had barely any games to announce and the only one that made a good impression was Beyond. Everything else was a known quantity. Point is, save the reveals for the show and these companies will make E3 succeed again.

#17 Posted by Milkman (16541 posts) -

No division? What is that even suppose to mean? Like long division? Because that's not very exciting at all.

#18 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

The problem this year is that people are ready for the next generation consoles, but instead we get Microsoft and Sony shuffling their feet and stalling.

#19 Posted by endless_void (706 posts) -

@Raven10: I also think the sheer amount of predictability in what software may be announced is also a part of this. Hell, I didn't know a damn thing about a new splinter cell before e3, but I honestly wasn't surprised one bit when I saw it

Same goes for medal of honor.

Same goes for call of duty BO2.

Same goes for New Super Mario Bros WiiU (or whatever its called).

Same goes for Crysis 3.

etc.

#20 Posted by Zor (654 posts) -

I think it was mainly due to the fact that most of the games were announce beforehand, and the new ones were few and far between.

#21 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

How can you have an exciting and hyped E3 with so many uninteresting sequels? Few interesting games, little excitement. Note that most of the current buzz is about Beyond, Watch Dogs, 1313 [ ... ].