This year seems really weird for video games

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Anyone else get this feeling? This year has been really odd so far. Of course you have stuff like the Mass Effect 3 controversy and that whole Tomb Raider thing but there's others as well. The PS Vita is doing poorly, even in Japan. The Wii U is coming out and excitement doesn't seems up there like it was with the Wii. Apparently now Vivendi is trying to sell Activision Blizzard. Even some of the games are kind of strange. We have Halo 4, the first major Halo game not made by Bungie. We even have a fighting game based off of Persona 4 coming out this year. That's weird. There's also this general odd vibe going on. The industry is shifting into a transitional period so everything is starting to change.

What do you guys think? Weird year or pretty normal? Also anything worth pointing out that I missed (I'm sure there is).

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By zeforgotten

Pretty much feels like every other year to me. 
Aside from everyone getting fired all over the place and then of course the Credits for the Call of Duty games getting shorter and shorter and basically just showing one thing on screen by now: 
"Copy/Paste Person: *insert name here* "

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Hizang

Video games are in a weird place right now, but hey the games are still awesome.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By zaccheus

Yes, I think it has been a pretty weird year for games.

Purpz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Purpz

Nothing amazingly exciting is happening, actually, nothing exciting has happened in a good few years. We're in a rut, the next gen consoles need to hurry and kick of something new; In my opinion.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Mushir

Next year is gonna be awesome. Seems like every game that I was excited for got pushed to 2013.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

Considering that the game I've sunk more hours into this year than any other so far is an RPG for the Wii that almost didn't come out over here, it's a weird year, but I'm enjoying it.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By FreakAche

I have to admit, it kind of seems like a boring year for video games. There's a handful of mildly interesting stuff, but the only games that have really piqued my interest are Dishonoured, Pikmin 3 and Burnout Paradise 2 err... Need For Speed: Most Wanted

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I guess it's weird that one of the most notable games I've played this year is a visual novel about handicapped girls that can be traced back to 4chan, sure.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

Uh its been fairly normal I think. I've still managed to spend way more money than I should on games again.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmilingPig

It’s a really slow year; I guess that most companies are working on next gen.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexW00d

Weird in that their are few good games? Absolutely.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By aurahack

Just like every single year, I look at it now and think "Man, some fucked up shit sure has happened." Then come next year, I look back on it and think "Man, last year was just like every year."

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By mosespippy

I think this year is still an off year. Not like last year when every game with a 3 in the title was slightly worse than their counterpart with a 2 in the title, but off in a different way. In a way that is like the industry realized last years sequels were not exciting so they know they have to try something new but don't know what that something is yet.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deusx

VIDEO GAMES ARE DEAD.

Not really.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Everything is good, nothing stands out.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Roger778

@Mushir:

I agree with you. I was really excited for Prey 2, Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider. Now, I have to wait for them until next year.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Pretty normal year so far. Tons of games purchased. Way too many to play.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rafaelfc

the most disturbing thing this year is that the Battleship game looks playable

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By Justin258

In that Dishonored is the only game I really, really want to play and the only game that's really been interesting me lately is a sixteen year old JRPG?

...yeah, I'd say it's been a pretty weird time for me.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somethings not right.....  

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dylabaloo

Let's hope Assassins Creed 3 doesn't get pushed back.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so...

We still got our annual Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed after all. Quite a few games are getting pushed back to next year, but that happens every year, it's just that it is more high-profile games this year...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Need some GTA 5 news been way to long.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By pweidman

This year has had more than it's share of weird game related controversies agreed, but it just seems like a year when not so many good games dropped, and some that looked promising underdelivered. And far off next-gen looking games stole everyone's attention at E3 too. That feeling could change this fall/winter though with Borderlands 2, Black Ops 2 , Halo 4, AC 3, and Far Cry 3. But there's always a pleasant surprise every year it seems and I can't think of any right now for this year. Console cycle closing blues maybe too.

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Socialone

I'm not a big fan of the series, but Ninja Gaiden III seemed very weird considering its venerable lineage.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ThunderSlash

I find myself clearing out my backlog rather than adding to it this year. THAT IS SO WEIRD SON.

Krishnasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Krishnasu

This is a transition year, so we really only get to see rehashes.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

The industry has begun a transition, and I definitely agree with OP that there seems to be something in the air. Things are changing, but we aren't far enough into this transition to know for sure where we are headed.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kerse

Nah its like this at the end of every generation from what I recall. As far as stuff like mass effect controversy every year has a game or two that riles everyone up, remember how people were acting like skyrim was gonna ruin the elder scrolls franchise before it came out.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By HerbieBug

Console transition period, yes.  Live through a few of them, you start to get a feel for the rhythm.  I rode out the PS1/N64 -> PS2/Xbox jump by upgrading my PC and pcing it up until half way through that gen.  When that gen was on the downswing I hopped on board and played through all the hits.  By the time I was done with that, 360 and PS3 had established libraries.  

What I'm saying here is that PC takes the forefront during the final year and change of a console cycle.  Purchase thee a graphics card and download Steam.  

I need to follow my own advice.  It's time to go back to PC for a couple years I think. 

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HerbieBug
@Socialone said:

I'm not a big fan of the series, but Ninja Gaiden III seemed very weird considering its venerable lineage.

Team Ninja has no soul without Itagaki.  No drive.  No vision.  
Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HerbieBug said:

@Socialone said:

Team Ninja has no soul without Itagaki.  No drive.  No vision.  
RIP in peace cookie face, nevar 4get u 
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By Little_Socrates

I'd agree it's been very, very strange. The most exciting and agreed upon games so far this year are an indie platformer that goes COMPLETELY INSANE with its puzzle logic, an indie art game film-ish thing that tugs at our heartstrings more than anything other game ever because co-op, a Rhythm Heaven game, and a smattering of more controversial titles.

The second half of this year looks more regulated, though.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#35  Edited By BeachThunder

Well, it's a little frustrating that there's a bunch of games being pushed to next year, especially Bioshock =(

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By falserelic

It also seem that the majority of games are pushed back to different dates weird.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Most of the assumed to be great games got pushed back till next year and we're in one of those end of a generation funks right now. I think another issue is that the number of big series has dwindled so much when compared to previous generations that without sequels to games like Gears, Uncharted, etc. the year seems barren which is a sad reflection of the current state of the industry. However, there's still some great stuff coming out,

Persona 4: Arena > Darksiders II > Hitman: Absolution > Halo 4 > AC3 > Dishonored > XCom:EU > RE6 > Borderlands 2 (GOTY) > Torchlight 2 > Far Cry 3 > Spelunky > Endless Space > Rainbow Moon > Deadlight > Sleeping Dogs > Sniper 2 > Dust: An Elysian Tale > Jet Set Radio > Worms Revolution > Doom 3: BFG Edition > Mark of the Ninja > Retro City Rampage > Phobos > Hell Yeah! > Vessel

Now, not all of these are going to be great but most of them look pretty damn good and the influx of cool indie stuff has me excited.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#38  Edited By GunstarRed

Its been weird for sure, but totally in all the right ways. 2012 is full of music rhythm games, thats kinda awesome.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NMC2008

The only odd thing to me is not being hyped for a new Guitar Hero & DJ Hero, nothing excited me like the road to release of those titles.

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By C2C

Seems pretty par for the course so far. If anything, it might be a bit more dull. But some excellent games have come out, and some really bad ones as well. Nothing game changing though.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlatantNinja23

the ps vita not doing well in japan isn't weird. It has no monster hunter, so of course it won't sell.