Thoughts on Heavy Rain demo

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nohthink

I am very looking forward to play this game and I solved the 4 evidence event thingy so I got the code for the demo. So I finally played the demo(twice) and these are my thoughts on it.  

Gameplay

You play as two characters; Scott Shelby, the private detective, and Norman Jayden, the FBI agent. It is a very short demo but the game can get even shorter if you make a different choice. Scott Shelby's side of the story starts with a basic tutorial. At first, it is very awkward because you instinctively use analogue stick to move the character but Heavy Rain makes you "steer" the character. Left analogue stick controls the direction but the trigger button(R2) moves the character. Interesting choice but it takes some times to get used to. 

After the tutorial, you're gonna to go to a crummy apartment to meet Lauren Winter. She's a prostitute and Scott wants to get some information out of her. But if you make a wrong choice, you won't get a thing out of her. If you make a right choice, you'll get a plenty of information. After her, you'll fight Lauren's ex-client. In a simple way to put it, it is an elaborate quick time event. You're gonna see a sequence of buttons and all you need to do is to press accordingly. It crates an illusion that it is more than that because even if you fail, it doesn't end. The worst you do, the more bruises Scott will get. After that, you'll get to play as Norman Jayden. 

Norman's side of the story is very investigation focus. You wear these sunglasses, collect evidence and data. Not that interesting but you can learn how the investigation part of Heavy Rain will play out. They completely took out Norman's personal story on purpose so that a player can experience two different sides of Heavy Rain but I have to say, compare to Scott's story, Norman's was not that interesting. 

Visual 

Cannot talk about Heavy Rain without the visual and let me tell you, game looks amazing. They say you need to have at least 50+ inch TV to appreciate the game fully. That may be true but I have 32 inch TV but I still could see how great the game looks. I'm pretty sure it will look better on bigger TV but I did not think having a small TV(well, actually 32 inch is actually not that small) affected the gameplay at all. The rain effect is amazing. When you're in a car and you see rain drops on a windshield and rolls down, it looks really good. The characters' facial expressions are also phenomenon. Great looking game really. What you see in the trailers are incomparable. When you actually see it on your TV, then you know for sure why the visual of Heavy Rain is highly praised.

Overall  

Very very adventurous game. I have a feelings that it is going to be one of those games that is not going to be popular but highly praised by a few because honestly speaking, it just does not feel like a game. It feels a lot like an interactive movie because everything looks like a cut scene. The only "game part" in the demo was the investigation part of it. Quantic Dream made an interesting game and Sony gambled by buying the exclusive rights for the game. i may be a minority but I am very excited for this game because It feels a lot like something I would enjoy.  Hope you enjoyed this reading.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By sjschmidt93

I thought the detective stuff was pretty dumb, but the other part was pretty interesting and I'm lookin' forward to the story.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

I enjoyed the demo.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

Honestly, I can remember looking at older videos where the graphics looked much better than they are in the demo. I'm not saying it's bad at all but I can tell they had to do some downsizing for whatever reasons. I also really couldn't stand the voice acting at all which is a terrible thing for a game like Heavy Rain. Other than that, it was an OK demo