This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by happypup (27 posts) -


 Thousands dead in Haiti
So, I spilled water over my main laptop, and had to resort to my secondary laptop.  when my browser brought up the current news (I will not say which browser or what homesite), however I was greeted by this image of the atrocity in Haiti.  I feel that the image speaks for itself

#2 Posted by torus (1096 posts) -

Internet explorer and Fox News? You deserve ruining your laptop :P 
 
But yea, extremely tragic :(. Not much can be done to prevent this kind of thing though. Rich countries can build earthquake resistant buildings, but that's not an option for poor countries, and even those probably wouldn't withstand an X MM earthquake.

#3 Edited by mordukai (7133 posts) -

Read about it yesterday. Not pleasant at all. This is the planet reminding us how small we really are. Maybe I should donate a couple of dollars for the relief effort. 

#4 Posted by happypup (27 posts) -
@torus:   Look at the image.  the dynamic action, the visceral action.  the pure video game reality.  Do you really believe that this is a picture of the earthquake in Haiti
#5 Posted by Hailinel (23902 posts) -
@happypup said:
" @torus:   Look at the image.  the dynamic action, the visceral action.  the pure video game reality.  Do you really believe that this is a picture of the earthquake in Haiti "
Don't make light of this.  Just don't.
#6 Posted by torus (1096 posts) -
@happypup said:
" @torus:   Look at the image.  the dynamic action, the visceral action.  the pure video game reality.  Do you really believe that this is a picture of the earthquake in Haiti "
Huh?
#7 Posted by happypup (27 posts) -

Believe me, I am not.  I saw this picture and said "this doesn't belong".  This is wrong.   I brought it to this community because I didn't know where to bring it to.  If I am wrong and this is a real image of the tragedy that occurred during the earthquake in Haiti I apologize.  I only brought it up because I hated the fact that Yahoo news would post a picture that was not from the news coverage from Haiti.  instead they would show a sensationalized picture full of action that would sell the news story.

#8 Posted by Hailinel (23902 posts) -
@happypup: Why on Earth would you think that picture wasn't from Haiti?
#9 Posted by torus (1096 posts) -

I've seen far more remarkable news photography. 

#10 Edited by Manatassi (791 posts) -
@happypup said:

" Believe me, I am not.  I saw this picture and said "this doesn't belong".  This is wrong.   I brought it to this community because I didn't know where to bring it to.  If I am wrong and this is a real image of the tragedy that occurred during the earthquake in Haiti I apologize.  I only brought it up because I hated the fact that Yahoo news would post a picture that was not from the news coverage from Haiti.  instead they would show a sensationalized picture full of action that would sell the news story. "

Edit: Nevermind. dude sounded like making light. careful wording.
#11 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

These people are already so poor. It's painful knowing that this quake decimated what little they had. Corpses are literally rotting in the streets. They don't have a lot of drinking water, food, or money, and certainly no way out. At least the first world countries are sending aid. I hope our countries continue to support this country long after it has stabilized, and make it better than it was before the quake. Sadly, I don't think that's the case. Obama, it seems, cares more about killing people half way across the world than saving the people dying less than a thousand miles away.

#12 Posted by happypup (27 posts) -
@Hailinel:  Dissecting the picture from an artistic perspective.  The arm from the bottom left holding a bludgeoning object.  Connecting to the striped shirted man.  who frames the digging action that encompasses the  middle part of  the picture.  Not to mention The textures on the clothing.   This is fake.  And I hate it so much.
#13 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Nothing but horror.
 
 

#14 Posted by Hailinel (23902 posts) -
@happypup said:
" @Hailinel:  Dissecting the picture from an artistic perspective.  The arm from the bottom left holding a bludgeoning object.  Connecting to the striped shirted man.  who frames the digging action that encompasses the  middle part of  the picture.  Not to mention The textures on the clothing.   This is fake.  And I hate it so much. "
It's one man handing another a piece of debris.  Are you an idiot?
#15 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I can't even tell if happypup is trolling us or not...
 
Regardless, the earthquakes around the world that strikes third world countries or rural areas often makes me feel granted that I live in a first world nation. Its a pity for these people, and there's not much we can do about it when apparently politics see these issues to be mundane and unworthy.
 
But when a natural disaster strikes like Hurricane Katrina, the whole world jumps on the case.

#16 Posted by YoThatLimp (1880 posts) -
@Meteora said:

" I can't even tell if happypup is trolling us or not...  Regardless, the earthquakes around the world that strikes third world countries or rural areas often makes me feel granted that I live in a first world nation. Its a pity for these people, and there's not much we can do about it when apparently politics see these issues to be mundane and unworthy.  But when a natural disaster strikes like Hurricane Katrina, the whole world jumps on the case. "

Que?
 
 http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6987365.ece
 http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9D737881.htm
 http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/13/technology/twitter_haiti_donations/
 http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/01/13/haiti.aid.response/
 http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/world/us-comes-to-the-aid-of-haiti_100303361.html
 http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/01/13/world/main6090814.shtml
#17 Posted by happypup (27 posts) -

OK so maybe the picture is real.  I have been staring at it for hours.  Does it convey the reality of the earthquakes in the Dominican Republic.  Maybe it does.  I feel like this is a way for Yahoo news to skirt the issue of what is really going on.  I just don't feel like this image conveys what has been happening in Haiti.
 
At it's worst it is a highly stylized image of the tragedy that is still occurring in Haiti.  I have seen the news from several sources about the earthquakes in Haiti.  And all of the images I have seen have been uncompromising.  This picture from the beginning was a compromise.

#18 Posted by happypup (27 posts) -

I feel like the original unaltered image would portray the message better than a colored, doctored image. 

#19 Posted by Hailinel (23902 posts) -
@happypup said:
" OK so maybe the picture is real.  I have been staring at it for hours.  Does it convey the reality of the earthquakes in the Dominican Republic.  Maybe it does.  I feel like this is a way for Yahoo news to skirt the issue of what is really going on.  I just don't feel like this image conveys what has been happening in Haiti.  At it's worst it is a highly stylized image of the tragedy that is still occurring in Haiti.  I have seen the news from several sources about the earthquakes in Haiti.  And all of the images I have seen have been uncompromising.  This picture from the beginning was a compromise. "
You really are trolling, aren't you?  Do you honestly think a single image, whether it be of survivors gathered or of a building flattened, can accurately sum up the entirety of the devastation in Haiti right now?  Do you realize how unbelievably petty you sound in complaining about the use of a particular image attached to a news story because you think it looks fake?
#20 Posted by happypup (27 posts) -
@Hailinel: You make a strong point.  I am not trying to sum up the tragedy in a single image.  In fact I am trying to do the exact opposite.  I feel like this image is fake.  Perhaps I have no perspective on reality.  I still don't think that overt colorized image's belong in broadcast journalism.   I think we deserve to see the real picture.  
#21 Posted by Hailinel (23902 posts) -
@happypup said:
" @Hailinel: You make a strong point.  I am not trying to sum up the tragedy in a single image.  In fact I am trying to do the exact opposite.  I feel like this image is fake.  Perhaps I have no perspective on reality.  I still don't think that overt colorized image's belong in broadcast journalism.   I think we deserve to see the real picture.   "
It's not altered.
#22 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -
@happypup said:
" I feel like the original unaltered image would portray the message better than a colored, doctored image.  "
Do you know what a flood light is? Because that's what people use in emergency situations like this, when they have to illuminate a vast area with a generator.
#23 Edited by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

Damn this is just tragic news. I feel awful just watching that vid. They're already so poor, and they get hit by this catastrophe. Just doesn't feel good at all.  I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but we're lucky we don't live in third world countries like they are. Though, there's not much we can really do from here. We can donate, but that's about it. Still, better than nothing right? I hope our country and others will do something to help them.

#24 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Ignoring the OP's idiotic line of nonsense totally, this is truly fucked up, their country was already well into ruin before this even happened, It will take years for them to recover from this, if ever. I think the UN and aid agencies may have to stay there long term.  
 
 
On another note, I think it's fucking disgusting how Evangelical Christians are saying this is God's punishment for practising Voodoo.

#25 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -
@Linkyshinks said:
" Ignoring the OP's idiotic line of nonsense totally, this is truly fucked up, their country was already well into ruin before this even happened, It will take years for them to recover from this, if ever. I think the UN and aid agencies may have to stay there long term.   On another note, I think it's fucking disgusting how some Evangelical Christians are saying this is god punishment for practising Voodoo. "
Oh man, don't remind me. I bet they're celebrating and partying about this whole thing, saying all that bullshit. Pisses me off.
#26 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

When you make a thread like this, you need to provide a link to a news story, otherwise it is worthless.  This also belongs in off-topic, not general discussion.  
 
Regardless, sounds like a very tragic situation.  Don't really know what else to say.

#27 Posted by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -
@EvilTwin said:
" When you make a thread like this, you need to provide a link to a news story, otherwise it is worthless.  This also belongs in off-topic, not general discussion.    Regardless, sounds like a very tragic situation.  Don't really know what else to say. "
 
It is a pathetic OP, hardly fitting, and given the OP's replies, disrespectful and worthy of being locked. 
   
 
Someone with some decency should create another thread. I'll be flagging this. 
#28 Posted by happypup (27 posts) -

 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8458330.stm
 
I don't know what to say either.  I hate that I made this  a point of contention.  I hate that people are trying to take advantage of this situation.  I feel like the picture I posted originally is exactly what I hate about this news coverage. 

#29 Edited by lunalicrichard (180 posts) -
@extremeradical:
 i agree completely ! it's just that the aid will be minimal and short lived. in a day or two we will have the next big story and Haiti will be forgotten as so many disasters before this. Haiti is one of the poorest country's in the world due largely to the u.s and the w.t.o  and the supporting of fascist regime's . and that is happening all over . but as long as people are not willing to have a bit less wealth and share the resources with everyone, these tragedy's will occur . the people in the rich first world country's are the only one's who can change these things . the first and foremost thing we need to do is restrict the corporations powers massively !! make them answer to us !! make them see what they are doing and make them accountable !! we must strip them of they're "person " status now !! and treat them as what they are : a real danger to man and the planet . we have to realize that we are on the edge of giving our entire lives into the hands of corporations and they're c.e.o 's. it's insane that we let them put a patent on life !! and now it's not just in the u.s.a , it's global ! that are the people that make the decisions for us all !! democracy is non existend. the goverments of the world are meeting with these company's to make policy on everything we care about . 
Haiti needs help on longterm and aid to rebuild . it's absolutly criminal what has happend at the hands of these corporations. and we pay the bill ,  and the're lives are ruined. 
it needs to stop ! NOW !!!!!!
#30 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -
@happypup said:
"http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8458330.stm"
You should have edited that into your original post and linked it.  
 
@happypup said:
"I feel like the picture I posted originally is exactly what I hate about this news coverage."
That's the problem, using this tragedy as your soapbox to talk about how media reports on things is disrespectful.  Especially considering you're the only one who sees any impropriety in the picture you posted.
 
@Linkyshinks said:
"I'll be flagging this."
Good idea.
#31 Posted by happypup (27 posts) -

I feel that I have misrepresented myself.  When I created this thread I felt that The Picture I posted Was an obvious doctored image.  
 
I did not try to be a troll.  I just wanted people to look at something that just does not look real.  In a community that understands not real.

#32 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -
@lunalicrichard said:
" @extremeradical:  i agree completely ! it's just that the aid will be minimal and short lived. in a day or two we will have the next big story and Haiti will be forgotten as so many disasters before this. Haiti is one of the poorest country's in the world due largely to the u.s and the w.t.o  and the supporting of fascist regime's . and that is happening all over . but as long as people are not willing to have a bit less wealth and share the resources with everyone, these tragedy's will occur . the people in the rich first world country's are the only one's who can change these things . the first and foremost thing we need to do is restrict the corporations powers massively !! make them answer to us !! make them see what they are doing and make them accountable !! we must strip them of they're "person " status now !! and treat them as what they are : a real danger to man and the planet . we have to realize that we are on the edge of giving our entire lives into the hands of corporations and they're c.e.o 's. it's insane that we let them put a patent on life !! and now it's not just in the u.s.a , it's global ! that are the people that make the decisions for us all !! democracy is non existend. the goverments of the world are meeting with these company's to make policy on everything we care about . Haiti needs help on longterm and aid to rebuild . it's absolutly criminal what has happend at the hands of these corporations. and we pay the bill ,  and the're lives are ruined. it needs to stop ! NOW !!!!!! "
Dude, your coo coo for coco puffs.
#33 Posted by erinfizz (1048 posts) -

Feel free to talk about Haiti or photography in another thread...