freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By freezerr

Moneyhats or really stupid reviewers?

For the record, the high scores come from Gamezone, Gaming Trend, and Planet Xbox 360. Most well-known sites have given poor marks to Tony Hawk: Ride. See Game Informer, IGN, GameTrailers, and of course Giant Bomb.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Yep, it's a love it or hate it thing. I wonder if the board reacts differently to to people who are in decent shape. Jeff is, after all, pretty damn tall and over the recommended weight limit (I remember him saying that on one of the E3 podcasts). Even if it does behave differently, that doesn't make me believe it's worth anywhere near what they're charging for it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
@TooWalrus: 

But wouldn't the developers have designed the board like that? After all, real skateboards aren't made of paper mache, and most peripherals you stand on are usually made to withstand a lot of weight (I hope they are).
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By raviolisumo

Were the reviews launch day reviews? If so, stupid.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus
@Video_Game_King: I should re-listen to that E3 podcast (but I won't). I think they said the weight limit recommended is under 250 pounds.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King
@TooWalrus: 

I know this is going to get me suspended, but how much does Jeff weigh? I doubt it's 250, and even if he is, I imagine there's some lee-way, about 1-2 pounds.
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Drebin_893
@TooWalrus said:
" @Video_Game_King: I should re-listen to that E3 podcast (but I won't). I think they said the weight limit recommended is under 250 pounds. "
I was always under the impression that it had that weight limit because it was still a prototype version of the board. That's what I remember thinking when I was listening to that podcast, anyways.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus
@Drebin_893: That could totally be true, I've got no clue since I haven't been anywhere the game.

@Video_Game_King: I think I remember him saying something like "What's another 25 pounds" Which would make him around 275, which is imaginable seeing as he's over 6 feet. Then again I might be imagining all of this. I may give it another listen after all.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Karmum

I guess some people liked it, and some people didn't.

Avatar image for funkmasterflare
funkmasterflare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By funkmasterflare

I actually took the time to read one of those reviews (I think it was the one from Gamezone), and it quickly became obvious that regardless of any shady going-ons, they do not know how to write. And I'm not just talking about syntax or anything like that; the review says nothing. It's a waste of unlimited Internet cloud bits. It's amazing some of these publications have followers.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By AndrewB

Why would the board's weight limit really matter, though? I don't think it would affect the performance of it. All you're doing is tilting and covering sensors. I think the  weight limit is mostly for... err... not breaking the board.

Also, all of the sites I know and trust on that list of metacritic ratings are pretty much all in line with one another. I'm not particularly saying the rest are either dumb or paid off, because everyone has their own opinion, but what it comes down to, as always, is what reviewer really speaks for *you*, and what is their opinion?

From the Planet 360 Review:

As I stood there watching Tony Hawk launch his all-new skateboarding game in New York City yesterday I began to see why the team created this completely new experience for fans. Tony Hawk is no longer the twenty-something X-Games champion that he once was, he has aged and is married with a precious little daughter; his times of ruling the skateboarding world are slipping away (he still has skills). That’s why the development team created Tony Hawk: RIDE...  

No, I'm pretty sure it had more to do with them trying to finally switch things up from the usual, so overdone, regular Tony Hawk formula that hasn't done nearly as well as the series used to, coupled with the idea that "Hey, people are buying all these ridiculous plastic instruments. Why don't we make one, too?"; an idea that started to tank sometime during this game's development. Also, isn't it a different developer, altogether?

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

They're going easy on it because it's a new idea, basically the game could be completely broken but if reviewers like the concept they'll give it a high score. Also, fuck every Tony Hawk game after THUG2.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By jeff

The weight limit on the final board is 300 pounds.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ghostiet
@TooWalrus said:
" Yep, it's a love it or hate it thing. I wonder if the board reacts differently to to people who are in decent shape. Jeff is, after all, pretty damn tall and over the recommended weight limit (I remember him saying that on one of the E3 podcasts). Even if it does behave differently, that doesn't make me believe it's worth anywhere near what they're charging for it. "

But Vinny, Drew, Brad and Dave are in better physical shape. If that was the case with the controller, I highly doubt Jeff wouldn't mention it, especially as I can imagine how those people engage in mad shenanigans with the board right after they got it.
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Goly
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" They're going easy on it because it's a new idea, basically the game could be completely broken but if reviewers like the concept they'll give it a high score. Also, fuck every Tony Hawk game after THUG2. "
Fuck every Tony Hawk game after THPS 3.
Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@Goly said:
" @Emandudeguyperson said:
" They're going easy on it because it's a new idea, basically the game could be completely broken but if reviewers like the concept they'll give it a high score. Also, fuck every Tony Hawk game after THUG2. "
Fuck every Tony Hawk game after THPS 3. "
No love for THPS4?
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By JazGalaxy

Jeff likely weighs well over 250 pounds.  I'm 6'1, 28 years old and in moderately athletic shape (I run 2 miles every night) and I weight about 220 or so now, probably. Jeff is older, from what I'm reading taller, and has considerably more mass. You could tell he was getting out of breath in the quicklook. I'm not saying it to call attention to it or anything but it has on occasion worried me in video reviews when you see that he seems to have gained even more weight...

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I haven't played it so I can rate it, but the gameplay I've seen looks shallow and uninteresting. It's probably no coincidence that my opinion is similar for most peripheral-based games.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Goly
@Emandudeguyperson said:
" @Goly said:
" @Emandudeguyperson said:
Fuck every Tony Hawk game after THPS 3. "
No love for THPS4? "
well ok, it's just that i stopped caring about the series after 3.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper
@JazGalaxy said:
" Jeff likely weighs well over 250 pounds.  I'm 6'1, 28 years old and in moderately athletic shape (I run 2 miles every night) and I weight about 220 or so now, probably. Jeff is older, from what I'm reading taller, and has considerably more mass. You could tell he was getting out of breath in the quicklook. I'm not saying it to call attention to it or anything but it has on occasion worried me in video reviews when you see that he seems to have gained even more weight... "
Why did you feel the need to point this out? You said it wasn't to call attention to it but what else would you be doing other than that? =\
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm seeing 59.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Branthog

Metac@Suicidal_SNiper said:

" @JazGalaxy said:
" Jeff likely weighs well over 250 pounds.  I'm 6'1, 28 years old and in moderately athletic shape (I run 2 miles every night) and I weight about 220 or so now, probably. Jeff is older, from what I'm reading taller, and has considerably more mass. You could tell he was getting out of breath in the quicklook. I'm not saying it to call attention to it or anything but it has on occasion worried me in video reviews when you see that he seems to have gained even more weight... "
Why did you feel the need to point this out? You said it wasn't to call attention to it but what else would you be doing other than that? =\ "
I guess he felt the need to tell a forum full of men that he's a fit young male that works out a lot. Probably trolling for bears or twinks or whatever.

Jeff could be five foot tall and six hundred pounds for all I care. He's awesome. Also, I'm a dude - so what the fuck do I care?
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Evilsbane

The game blows Jeff hath spoken all who disagree are being a Judas!

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Branthog
@freezerr said:

" Moneyhats or really stupid reviewers? For the record, the high scores come from Gamezone, Gaming Trend, and Planet Xbox 360. Most well-known sites have given poor marks to Tony Hawk: Ride. See Game Informer, IGN, GameTrailers, and of course Giant Bomb. "

I don't know what you're smoking, but I'm seeing  59/100 on the 360 and 51/100 on the PS3. The scores are even lower (3.3/10 and 4.0/10) from Users. Also, who cares? One, it's MetaCritic. Second, Twilight set box office movie records, too. That doesn't offer any commentary on the quality of the film, but on the idiots who consume that shit. Same here.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Branthog
@Evilsbane said:
" The game blows Jeff hath spoken all who disagree are being a Judas! "
Not that anyone needed Jeff to enlighten them, though. Did anyone not now this was going to be steaming fail the first time they heard about it at E3?
Chokobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chokobo

No single player game is worth 200 dollars.

No matter what you pack with it, and even then it better be fucking mindblowing or else it deserves nothing better than a mediocre score.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mrfizzy

Hang on, where is this coming from? coz on Metacritic now it has a score of 51 i think. 

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ArchScabby

Those sites with high reviews went to that stupid review event.  Where you got to play for like 10 hours with hundreds of other people around.  They even said in their reveiw they didn't play the full game, just what they could in that time limit.  But don't worry, they also say they feel comfortable with the amount of time

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By TheJollyRajah

The board doesn't even work for me, and I'm small for a man, only 5'5" and 140 pounds. I'm truly saddened when I think of where this series went... I remember playing Tony Hawk 64, and I remember how good that game was. 

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By evanbrau

Poor Tony Hawks games, I remember staying up till the early hours of the morning playing THPS 2, hell even the demo for the first game has imprinted itself on my mind. Its a shame to see where the series has gone.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gizmo

For me, Tony Hawks died after Pro Skater 3, I remember spending literally DAYS in the editor, making grinds that went on for miles and listening to the INCREDIBLE soundtrack that game had.