#1 Edited by psylah (2181 posts) -

Something woke me up early, today. It was a strange feeling, that something needed to be bought. It called out to me.

Every weekend, I go by the local thrift store to see what they've got. I usually pop in to check for an Atari 2600, as I've already gotten a SNES and Genesis from this place, and they usually sell them complete with cables and at least one controller.

But today, I stumbled up on this:

I was dumbfounded. I grew up with a Genesis rather than a SNES, so to see such a large stack of Genesis games, let alone pretty much every Sonic game, was pretty nuts.

Even better, each one is in its own respective case, and is untouched. They have manuals and inserts as well. If they were still wrapped, I'd call them all perfect!

I take it some guy who owned a game / electronics store cleared out some old boxes he had sitting in storage, found these, and decided to donate them.

I ended up buying the two stacks on the left, the rest I was not so sure about buying. If any of you see something that is a must-have and think I should pick it up too, let me know.

And most important of all, CHECK YOUR LOCAL THRIFT STORE! I'm not sure if this sort of thing is common, I live in a fairly well-off neighborhood (I passed this on the way in) but you never know what you may find!

#2 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1663 posts) -

the two on the left you say? Well over on the right it looked like there was a copy of paperboy. I would highly recommend that! Streets of Rage is always fun. Perhaps even more, maybe you should buy them all. It's really in your best interest to.

#3 Posted by Vextroid (1420 posts) -

You bought the stack the contained Sonic 1,3 and Knuckles but you didn't pick up 2? The best Sonic game ever?!

Also Columns/2 and Streets Of Rage.

#4 Posted by Wampa1 (716 posts) -

@psylah: You didn't buy Street's of Rage? Do you hate fun? From there I'd say, Robocop Vs Terminator, The T2 Arcade game and Paperboy are pretty good. Though, that may be nostalgia talking.

#5 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

@Vextroid said:

You bought the stack the contained Sonic 1,3 and Knuckles but you didn't pick up 2? The best Sonic game ever?!

Also Columns/2 and Streets Of Rage.

I already have Sonic 2, of course.

#6 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (737 posts) -

Just buy them ALL.

#7 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

@Wampa1 said:

@psylah: You didn't buy Street's of Rage? Do you hate fun? From there I'd say, Robocop Vs Terminator, The T2 Arcade game and Paperboy are pretty good. Though, that may be nostalgia talking.

My nostalgia for Paperboy was on the NES, and I don't remember ever hearing of a good Termitator or Robocop game...

#8 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Just buy them ALL.

I WOULD buy them all, but it's Christmas and my nephews and nieces need gifts!

#9 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (737 posts) -

@psylah said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

Just buy them ALL.

I WOULD buy them all, but it's Christmas and my nephews and nieces need gifts!

Nuts to them, GENESIS GAMES.

#10 Posted by alternate (2718 posts) -

How much were they asking?

#11 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

@alternate said:

How much were they asking?

$2.95 each, not since Game Room has there been such a deal!

#12 Posted by Swoxx (3003 posts) -

Why is there no one behind the counter? You could've snagged all them games without paying a dime!

#13 Posted by Wampa1 (716 posts) -

@psylah: Trust me VS Terminator is a solid side scrolling shooter, especially if you have any affection for either franchise.

#14 Posted by TehBuLL (613 posts) -

wtf! top left is Mutant League Football....i spent so much renting that game every other week i could have bought it 5x over as a child.

#15 Posted by AlexW00d (6315 posts) -

A thrift store is just a charity shop right? My buddy once found a copy of FFVII in one for like £2.50.

#16 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

A thrift store is just a charity shop right? My buddy once found a copy of FFVII in one for like £2.50.

Yeah, its a place you can dump stuff you think someone else can use, the store resells it and typically gives a portion of the sales proceeds to charity.

#17 Edited by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

Streets of Rage looks to be about 30 bucks on ebay (w/ shipping). Thunderforce II is 40. As far as things that are fun go, I'd say you picked up the right stuff.

#18 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

@Wampa1:

@nintendoeats:

Alright, I will stop by again and pick up:

Streets of Rage, Robocop vs Terminator, Thunderforce II.

#19 Posted by Little_Socrates (5684 posts) -

I think you've got it down! That is fucking awesome.

Thanks for getting Macklemore back into my head.

#20 Edited by StarFoxA (5161 posts) -

I think I see TMNT: Tournament Fighters on the right hand stack. That game is worth almost $100 on eBay.

edit: nevermind, I was looking at an auction for the NES verison. Genesis goes from $15 to $30.

#21 Posted by ajamafalous (12055 posts) -
@dekkadekkadekka said:

Just buy them ALL.

#22 Posted by Levius (1179 posts) -

This takes me back to when my local charity shop sold unboxed N64 games in bundles of 5 for £5, and I could trade them in to the game shop for £2 a game. It was a godsend for a kid who had to save up weeks for games.

#23 Edited by psylah (2181 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

I think you've got it down! That is fucking awesome.

Thanks for getting Macklemore back into my head.

That video is dope.

And completely accurate. You wouldn't believe the people I see going through the Thrift Store. Hot hipster girls, 10/10 club-going black girls in fur coats, flamboyant gay men, and it's always packed. That GT-R parked outside is probably the most expensive I see parked out front, but I also see Porsches, Range Rovers, Corvettes... it's bizarre.

And I love that Delorean.

#24 Posted by bobafettjm (1526 posts) -

Oh man I would have bought all of those for sure, that is a great price for most of those games.

#25 Posted by AlexW00d (6315 posts) -

@psylah said:

@AlexW00d said:

A thrift store is just a charity shop right? My buddy once found a copy of FFVII in one for like £2.50.

Yeah, its a place you can dump stuff you think someone else can use, the store resells it and typically gives a portion of the sales proceeds to charity.

Only a portion of the sales? So they aren't run by the charities themselves then? Interesting.

#26 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@psylah said:

@AlexW00d said:

A thrift store is just a charity shop right? My buddy once found a copy of FFVII in one for like £2.50.

Yeah, its a place you can dump stuff you think someone else can use, the store resells it and typically gives a portion of the sales proceeds to charity.

Only a portion of the sales? So they aren't run by the charities themselves then? Interesting.

It depends, this store was not a chain, just a standalone business. There are Goodwill stores, which are run by the Goodwill organization, they donate to charity. The Salvation Army is another one that runs solely for charity.

#27 Posted by Nick (673 posts) -

Looks like you bought yourself a copy of Mutant League Football, nice find, loved that game when I was a kid.

#28 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

That fucking dirty hipster Macklemore is all I thought of. Fuck.... This is bad. They are winning.

#29 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

@buzz_killington said:

That fucking dirty hipster Macklemore is all I thought of. Fuck.... This is bad. They are winning.

Does he always look like that? I thought he was a comedian making a joke music video...

#30 Posted by ShaggE (6574 posts) -

@psylah said:

@Wampa1 said:

@psylah: You didn't buy Street's of Rage? Do you hate fun? From there I'd say, Robocop Vs Terminator, The T2 Arcade game and Paperboy are pretty good. Though, that may be nostalgia talking.

I don't remember ever hearing of a good Termitator or Robocop game...

The Terminator arcade game and the PC Terminator games were all great. (even if the arcade game has the most bullshit quarter-sucking sequence ever)

Online
#31 Edited by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

I'm always in awe when people find stuff stashes like those, the best thing I've found is a copy of PC doom 3 and a VHS of Predator. For two bucks a pop I would have bought their entire stock.

#32 Posted by Garfield518 (404 posts) -

The license plate of that car says GDZILLA.

Classy.

#33 Posted by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

I love great thrift store finds like this. Lately my Salvation Army has been charging eBay prices for it's retro titles... lame. Totally takes the fun out of finding a rare gem there.

#34 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

@Garfield518 said:

The license plate of that car says GDZILLA.

Classy.

I'm a Nissan fan, so seeing it in the lot gave me an instant boner..

#35 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

This is crazy those are clearly mega drive games :p

#36 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

Small update, along with the odd game or so over the past few months, I found these two:

Two complete NESeses, with AC adapter, RF adapter, 2 controllers and a zapper for each of them. Very clean, no yellowing.

They were 5 dollars each.

A few weeks ago I found this:

The Saitek X52 is the same HOTAS setup Vinny and Drew use for their flight club stuff. I hope that if I can make it to PAX next year I can have them sign it.

This baby cost me 4 washingtons.

#37 Posted by Sor_Eddie (94 posts) -

@psylah said:

@Little_Socrates said:

I think you've got it down! That is fucking awesome.

Thanks for getting Macklemore back into my head.

That video is dope.

And completely accurate. You wouldn't believe the people I see going through the Thrift Store. Hot hipster girls, 10/10 club-going black girls in fur coats, flamboyant gay men, and it's always packed. That GT-R parked outside is probably the most expensive I see parked out front, but I also see Porsches, Range Rovers, Corvettes... it's bizarre.

And I love that Delorean.

Thrift Store literally fucked over actual poor people who NEED to use thrift stores because it encouraged wealthy hipsters to snatch up everything worth owning to wear "ironically", which also resulted in thrift stores raising their prices on everything to take advantage of said wealthy hipsters.

Fuck Macklemore, the sell-out asshole.

#38 Edited by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I bought my Gamecube during my first visit to a similar store... total impulse purchase. May have paid too much for it, but it was the platinum console with the limited edition Wind Waker & Ocarina disc.

Haven't been in a couple of years, but the guy who ran the place was a real crazy bastard. Used to make up prices on the spot, and constantly forgot what he did and didn't have in store. Told my friend he couldn't have a particular N64 game on account of it being super rare, but I went down a week later and he was keeping three copies of it in an ice cream box.

#39 Posted by bobafettjm (1526 posts) -

I go out every single weekend to the few thrift stores that are in my area. Today I even picked up a few games and a Kiwi Game Boy Color.

#40 Posted by YummyTreeSap (316 posts) -

@psylah: My gods, $5/ea. for complete NESes like that? That's pretty rad!

#41 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

@psylah: My gods, $5/ea. for complete NESes like that? That's pretty rad!

When I checked out, they tried to tell me the price was wrong, and it should have been more.

I told them that wasn't my problem, and to ring it up.

#42 Edited by TyCobb (1973 posts) -

Nice score. You made me get the urge to see what the thrift store near my house had. Never been to this one before. Walked there and was saddened to find it was a dump with nothing, but clothes. Oh well, at least I found a sports bar walking back and had some drinks while watching the end of the NASCAR race.

#43 Edited by flasaltine (1684 posts) -

How about pawn shops? Do they have good cheap stuff too? Never been in one.

Also are these local thrift shops or places like goodwill?

#44 Posted by rentfn (1282 posts) -

I go to Flea Markets every now and then with my wife. We went the last weekend it was open that year and I got 50 Atari for 5 bucks. They were in this crate, it was fantastic.

#45 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I think you've got it down! That is fucking awesome.

Thanks for getting Macklemore back into my head.

Try this cover on for size!

#46 Edited by psylah (2181 posts) -

How about pawn shops? Do they have good cheap stuff too? Never been in one.

Also are these local thrift shops or places like goodwill?

At pawn shops, the guys are looking to get as much cash as possible in return for what they bought the stuff for, so the prices can be a bit exorbitant.

The place I am shopping at is not a Goodwill store, in that the proceeds do not go to charity. So I don't feel bad about getting good stuff for cheap. Hell, in the same run I got the NES, I found 2 working Roombas with their chargers and docks. They were 20 dollars each.

#47 Edited by nintendork666 (203 posts) -

Thrift/pawn shops, flea markets, trade centers, and garage/yard/rummage/estate/block sales are definitely all your friends if you're a retro gamer whatsoever.

#48 Posted by YummyTreeSap (316 posts) -

People have gone to thrift shops far before that dumb song was popular. Besides, the things people are buying "ironically" or for costume parties or whatever generally are stuff that people who genuinely need to use thrift stores wouldn't be caught dead wearing. Not that thrift stores are inherently for that purpose anyway—they're mostly a front for the affiliated organizations to earn money.

#49 Posted by psylah (2181 posts) -

Thrift/pawn shops, flea markets, trade centers, and garage/yard/rummage/estate/block sales are definitely all your friends if you're a retro gamer whatsoever.

I remember going to a flea market nearby and going into a store that had a ~25 inch wood panel TV with an Atari 2600 hooked up to it, and about 20 games. They wanted $500 for it, and you had to buy it all as a package. Ridiculous.