Time for a break?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai

So here's the comprehensive list of video games I played this week so far. 

That's the list. Sometimes a man needs to just stay away from the entertainment medium we call gaming. I think my recent hiatus from games reflects both the massive amount of games I played last month and the lack of any major purchases as of late. Last month I probably spent more time in front of my PC or TV playing games in a long time. I can partially blame that on Steam's Christmas sale which introduced me to Sam & Max, possibly the funniest game I've played since Maniac Mansion. There's about 30-40 hours sunk into 2 seasons right there. Mix in some New Super Mario Bros. Wii, No More Heroes 2, and the PC game equivalent of a sampler appetizer at your local T.G.I. Fridays, much time was spent just messing around an hour here and there on all my recent purchases (Indigo Prophecy, Darwinia, Torchlight, every GTA game known to man, etc.) And a lot of Lumines... what a timewaster! Then February hit and I began staying away from games in favor of other things. At this time, I'm a little burned out, bloodied, beaten, and just recovering from last month's gluttony of gaming. 

And this week marks the slowdown, a hiatus if you will, in my gaming habit. Yet here I am making another appearance talking video games instead of playing them. 

So have you ever just stop playing games for an entire week? Wait, of course you have! Let me rephrase that. 

How long have you gone abstaining from video games for no reason? Have you ever just taken a month off because you became bored of them? 

Fine, Wii! I'll take a break, but shut the window! IT'S FUCKING COLD OUTSIDE!
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dalai

So here's the comprehensive list of video games I played this week so far. 

That's the list. Sometimes a man needs to just stay away from the entertainment medium we call gaming. I think my recent hiatus from games reflects both the massive amount of games I played last month and the lack of any major purchases as of late. Last month I probably spent more time in front of my PC or TV playing games in a long time. I can partially blame that on Steam's Christmas sale which introduced me to Sam & Max, possibly the funniest game I've played since Maniac Mansion. There's about 30-40 hours sunk into 2 seasons right there. Mix in some New Super Mario Bros. Wii, No More Heroes 2, and the PC game equivalent of a sampler appetizer at your local T.G.I. Fridays, much time was spent just messing around an hour here and there on all my recent purchases (Indigo Prophecy, Darwinia, Torchlight, every GTA game known to man, etc.) And a lot of Lumines... what a timewaster! Then February hit and I began staying away from games in favor of other things. At this time, I'm a little burned out, bloodied, beaten, and just recovering from last month's gluttony of gaming. 

And this week marks the slowdown, a hiatus if you will, in my gaming habit. Yet here I am making another appearance talking video games instead of playing them. 

So have you ever just stop playing games for an entire week? Wait, of course you have! Let me rephrase that. 

How long have you gone abstaining from video games for no reason? Have you ever just taken a month off because you became bored of them? 

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

The longest I've purposefully abstained from gaming was about a six month period of time when I needed to focus my attention on my studies at a center for the blind.  I eventually caved in and bought a Gamecube.  Non-study related, I'd say two to three weeks at a time once or twice a year for various reasons, but I've been playing pretty regularly for about 20 years now.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

Lately, it's just been days. But I do take a month off from a game or two. Of course, I have a flame game on the side.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By c1337us

I haven't played anything for the last 8 days because I am supposed the be finishing Assassins Creed II before moving on. The fact that I hate it quite a lot is killing my motivation to sit down and play. The longest I haven't played is probably 6 months +

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

When an important college project comes by, no video games.

Avatar image for collegefootballguy
CollegeFootballGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, a year off just for the hell of it
Workyticket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Workyticket

About 2 1/2 years. This was about 12-13 years ago, I thought I'd burned myself out on games and had started uni. Then I saw the Playstation for the first time and it sucked me back in...

IMHO, regular breaks are a good thing. I personally tend to have periods of a month or two where I play a lot, then have 3 or 4 where I may only average 2 or 3 hours a week. That way I still have plenty of time to get on with the other things in life, and helps recharge my gaming batteries.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Tordah

I've never felt burnt out on games, but I don't think I play nearly as much as many of the people on this site. I can go several days without playing anything just cause I'm busy with other stuff. I don't even think about it as breaks anymore. I just play games whenever the urge hits me. Sometimes it's more often, sometimes it's not.

Oh, the Sam & Max games rock!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

Games always manage to fit into my life, regardless of how busy i am ;P
admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By admordem

Only if im forced. 

360 red ringing before I could afford internet. My main PC got destroyed also, and I was stuck with a Pentium 3, with a geforce 2 on it. That greatly reduced my gaming, until i moved back home and found that Horizons runs on it, and even more of a miracle, still had active servers. My cousin, who is also a big gamer, came over and saw what i was using. He couldnt believe it and insisted on lending me a grand and building me a PC.

Cause i was used to it, I prolly couldnt see the funny at the time, but the 6 year old MMO i was playing on an even older PC must have looked really really bad stretched out on my 32inch HDTV :P

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Cerza

Breaks are necessary. If you don't take a break every now and then you'll burn out. I regularly take breaks from gaming after beating a game I have been playing for an extended period of time. How long the break lasts depends on how awesome the game was and how heavily I was playing it. For instance, I didn't play any games for nearly a month after I beat Persona 3 and got the good ending, because the game was amazing. Also, while playing Persona 3 I hadn't been doing anything other than playing it for the 3 or so weeks it took me to beat it. Right now I'm not really playing anything as I just finished beating all three versions of Borderlands and with the Olympics on I have little motivation to game.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kmdrkul

I'm on a little break as well, in part because the semester started up a couple weeks ago but mostly because I'm just completely burned out on games.  The only gaming I've done in the past two weeks is playing about ten minutes worth of MW2 online before getting bored of it, and some local multiplayer on Street Fighter 4 with friends.  I still have Darksiders to finish, an unopened (!!!) copy of Bayonetta, and I want to purchase several games, which I'll refrain from doing because I know I won't get sucked into them like I normally do. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

A day or two at the most.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dalai
@Workyticket said:
" About 2 1/2 years. This was about 12-13 years ago, I thought I'd burned myself out on games and had started uni. Then I saw the Playstation for the first time and it sucked me back in...  IMHO, regular breaks are a good thing. I personally tend to have periods of a month or two where I play a lot, then have 3 or 4 where I may only average 2 or 3 hours a week. That way I still have plenty of time to get on with the other things in life, and helps recharge my gaming batteries. "
I had a similar 2-3 year break about 6 years ago. That was a time where I sparingly played anything and found none of the games or consoles really appealing. Oddly, it was the Wii that caught my attention and dragged me back into gaming. I eventually went back in time to catch up on some of those games I missed from the last decade. 

As for regular breaks... I'll stop for a month after a marathon run of games.
Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Furyjoell
@Tordah said:
" I've never felt burnt out on games, but I don't think I play nearly as much as many of the people on this site. I can go several days without playing anything just cause I'm busy with other stuff. I don't even think about it as breaks anymore. I just play games whenever the urge hits me. Sometimes it's more often, sometimes it's not.  Oh, the Sam & Max games rock! "]  
This, sometimes I find myself thinking "shit I haven't played any games for like 2 weeks". Sometimes I just have no urge to play at all. Then other times I can play almost constantly for days on end. It's really strange actually.