• 140 results
#1 Posted by Belmont_Shadow (174 posts) -

LOL.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/83095/time-magazines-game-of-the-year-alan-wake/

#2 Posted by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

Why are you laughing?

#3 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -

They must really like coffee and metaphors

#4 Posted by CitizenKane (10504 posts) -
@OmegaPirate said:
" They must really like coffee and metaphors "
It's TIME magazine, of course they like coffee and metaphors.

To be fair, though, I haven't play Alan Wake yet, so I can't really judge TIME on their pick for GOTY.
#5 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

HOW CUD IT NOT BE BLACKOPS LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Anyways, how peculiar, my dear lad. How peculiar indeed.

#6 Posted by Belmont_Shadow (174 posts) -

Alan wake was decent....but it had so many flaws and issues that noone else will even consider it for nomination let alone giving it top honours. Heavy Rain was a MUCH better game than Alan wake. It's like giving Final Fantasy XIII GOTY, decent game but it should never win GOTY.

#7 Posted by impalerXZ (85 posts) -

Oh shit, I forgot that game came out this year.

#8 Posted by Tordah (2471 posts) -

Congratulations to Remedy!

#9 Posted by OmegaPirate (5523 posts) -
@CitizenKane: I was hoping someone would bite on that one :) good effort! :D
#10 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Because Alan Wake was fucking awesome.And it deserves that spot. 
As for me, Mass Effect 2 came out,soo........

#11 Posted by Belmont_Shadow (174 posts) -
@rjayb89: 
What's funny is that Alan Wake with that award probably wins more than Black ops.
#12 Posted by BeachThunder (11699 posts) -

Ugh, they're wrong. The only acceptable games of the year are Halo: Reach, Call of Duty: Black Ops , Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mass Effect 2,  or Fable III. Everyone knows that, duh.

#13 Posted by dantheman1515 (297 posts) -

Alan Wake was a great game. It was tense every moment and I never knew what was around the corner. Loved every minute of it. Its deserves some awards as it is the most overlooked game of the year.

#14 Posted by Belmont_Shadow (174 posts) -

Halo Reach? hahahaha.

#15 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Not exactly the choice I would make.

#16 Posted by BeachThunder (11699 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"Not exactly the choice I would make. "
ME2?
#17 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

TIME picked Mark Zuckerberg as their person of the year as well. 

Apples and oranges, right?

#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Belmont_Shadow said:
" Halo Reach? hahahaha. "
And your point? The time are free to pick which game they want. No matter what game they picked someone would bitch and moan. Just like you are doing. 
#19 Posted by Belmont_Shadow (174 posts) -
@The_Laughing_Man: 

I'm not moaning. I'm laughing.
#20 Posted by lawlerballer (204 posts) -

Heavy Rain? hahahaha. 

#21 Posted by Sweep (8817 posts) -

Is this one of those U MAD BRO moments? I love those. 

#22 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" Ugh, they're wrong. The only acceptable games of the year are Halo: Reach, Call of Duty: Black Ops , Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mass Effect 2,  or Fable III. Everyone knows that, duh. "
Enough with the Halo, Call of Duty, and Mass Effect 2 bashing. Don't like them? Perfectly fine. But they've been beaten so much, it's practically gotten old and stale. Want to be different? Then bash Metro 2033 or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (Which I really do like).
#23 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4633 posts) -

Holy shit, awesome news. Wasn't expecting that, but AW is probably the most deserving of the award this year.

Now just need someone to give it to Bayonetta, and my faith in the world will be restored.

No doubt the fucking idiot CoD crowd will rage, but who takes their opinion seriously anyway?

#24 Posted by darkwingduck (174 posts) -

im happy for remedy. alan wake was awesome, especially with the two dlcs. now even though it wasnt my pick for goty i could see why TIME would choose it.

#25 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

i get alan wake being a choice.
i passed on it, but i dont see anything to LOL about. 

#26 Posted by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -

That's cool.

#27 Posted by fjor (295 posts) -

LOOOOLLOLLLLLLL

#28 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

haven't played it.

#29 Posted by ZombieSpace (286 posts) -

Alan wake was a great game, grats to remedy

#30 Posted by mikeeegeee (1552 posts) -

Wonderful news. I've yet to play the game, but I will very soon now that I'm done with school. From what I understand, it's a highly polished experience. And, c'mon, it's Remedy.

#31 Posted by TenStoryMother (85 posts) -

As flawed as Alan Wake is, it is the only game of last year I still think about on a regular basis.  For me, the world and story Alan Wake portrayed were atypical for videogames, but Remedy somehow managed to make a videogame out of them.  Would Alan Wake make a better movie, maybe, but I like the chances Remedy took and would love to see them explore the Alan Wake story to completion.     
#32 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -
#33 Posted by Baillie (4039 posts) -

Very deserving, I enjoyed the game a huge amount, reminds me to go back and play the DLC!

#34 Posted by Vonocourt (2119 posts) -

I loved Alan Wake, and naw son. Though if this means a sequel may be more likely, I'm all for it.

#35 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -
@GhostlyEnigma:  
STALKER is janky as fuck and kept crashing on me (more than Fallout: New Vegas ever did).  
How's that? ;)
#36 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

Their runner up was Angry Birds. Angry Birds came in second place.

#37 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" TIME picked Mark Zuckerberg as their person of the year as well.  Apples and oranges, right? "
Both the people and journalists overwhelmingly thought it should've been Julian Assange. They changed it last minute to a "safe" option so they wouldn't get persecuted by The Combine.

In other news, Time is not as reputable a publication as it used to be. 
#38 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -
@h0lgr said:
" Their runner up was Angry Birds. Angry Birds came in second place. "
and?
#39 Posted by Meltac (1999 posts) -

I agree. The game was fantastic. 

#40 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -
@stinky: Please, please give it your best shot to tell me why this wins over Mass Effect 2.
#41 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -
@Geno said:
" @Hamz said:
" TIME picked Mark Zuckerberg as their person of the year as well.  Apples and oranges, right? "
Both the people and journalists overwhelmingly thought it should've been Julian Assange. They changed it last minute to a "safe" option so they wouldn't get persecuted by The Combine. In other news, Time is not as reputable a publication as it used to be.  "
Like when TIme made Hitler "Man of the Year" in 1938?
#42 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Yup, that's a list of video games. 

Link.

#43 Posted by Scarlet_Rogue (497 posts) -
@Belmont_Shadow said:
" Alan wake was decent....but it had so many flaws and issues that noone else will even consider it for nomination let alone giving it top honours. Heavy Rain was a MUCH better game than Alan wake. It's like giving Final Fantasy XIII GOTY, decent game but it should never win GOTY. "
I like Heavy Rain, but I wouldn't say it's a much better game than Alan Wake because Heavy Rain wasn't a game at all.
#44 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

So I hear aurahack works for TIME now.

#45 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" @Geno said:
" @Hamz said:
Both the people and journalists overwhelmingly thought it should've been Julian Assange. They changed it last minute to a "safe" option so they wouldn't get persecuted by The Combine. In other news, Time is not as reputable a publication as it used to be.  "
Like when TIme made Hitler "Man of the Year" in 1938? "
Person of the year is whoever made the most change in the world in that year, up to that point in time.  Not all people continue to act the same throughout their lives, and furthermore not everyone chosen are perfect individuals (Winston Churchill won too). If you recall, Hitler hadn't started WWII yet in 1938 and it's not Time's job to predict the future, also let's not get into history's treatment of Hitler being partially victor's justice. Julian Assange, and by proxy Wikileaks since he is their official representative and leader, made a much greater impact this year than Mark Zuckerberg, who was the star subject of a popular movie and that was about it. 
#46 Posted by SteakSushi (14 posts) -
@Belmont_Shadow:  Heavy Rain GOTY? You've got to be kidding right? I loved every second of it, but I would hardly call it a game. It's more of an interactive movie than anything IMO.
#47 Posted by GhostlyEnigma (253 posts) -
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" @GhostlyEnigma:  STALKER is janky as fuck and kept crashing on me (more than Fallout: New Vegas ever did).  How's that? ;) "

Excellent.
#48 Posted by mzuckerm (351 posts) -
@h0lgr:  I haven't played Alan Wake, but I think Mass Effect 2 had a lot of flaws that people gloss over.  For instance: 1) the story was nowhere near as epic as ME1, it felt like a placeholder setting up ME3; 2) combat was improved, but still not all that slick; 3) item drops were pretty weak and generally uninteresting; 4) the response to a poor inventory management was to basically eliminate 90% of the type of inventory (rather than just fix the crappy system).  I could probably go on.  I liked the game a lot, but I don't think it's a runaway pick.
#49 Edited by AndrewB (7492 posts) -

Alan Wake is not the game of the year, but I'm certainly happy to see it getting some recognition because it is in fact an amazing game. Besides that, they're picking a best game of the year, not most popular game of the year.

#50 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

Nice to see that Remedy get's more recognition.