• 65 results
#1 Posted by RedCream (706 posts) -

What are games that captured you instantly and played for hours on end? I ask this because I have a lot free time in my hands as of the moment and in the market for some really addicting experience akin to XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Fallout 3, Super Meat Boy etc.

#2 Edited by ElixirBronze (447 posts) -

TF2, World of Warcraft, Diablo 2, Dark Souls...

Probably spent at least 200 hours in each game.. in WoW probably a lot more.

#3 Posted by Unilad (580 posts) -

This may come as a suprise seeing as what Patrick said and all, but I sank hours upon hours continously into Last of Us. My longest stretch was around 6/7 in singleplayer. I got passed a bit I was stuck on and just kept trucking on hard mode. Other than that the multiplayer has taken up a LOAD of my time.

Other games.....Completed FC3 in 2 days. Bioshock Infinite in 2 days.....I've been unemployed lately so I guess it isn't really a fair representation. I have no reason to wake up in the mornings, so just play games long into night after spending the day applying for jobs.

#4 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Civ 5, Marathon Turns = the best time sink.
"Each era is as long as a single game"
Sign me up all the time!

#5 Edited by CaLe (4050 posts) -

Skyrim was the last game I got lost in. I played it for 80 hours the first week it came out. I have gotten into other games since, but I usually finish them pretty quickly. I finished XCOM in 3 days I think, even after losing mid-way through my first attempt. If I enjoy a game I tend to get lost in it until I finish it, then I'm completely done and don't wanna go back. I imagine the next big one for me will be GTA V. I'll add that Dark Souls definitely has the pacing and atmosphere that is easy to lose time to, but it's not for everyone. The Witcher 2 is a good one for this as well.

#6 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1811 posts) -

@redcream said:

What are games that captured you instantly and played for hours on end? I ask this because I have a lot free time in my hands as of the moment and in the market for some really addicting experience akin to XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Fallout 3, Super Meat Boy etc.

You could play more those again, there's always Fire Emblem, Fallout New Vegas, and Dustforce to try out.

#7 Posted by RedCream (706 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: Finished F:NV already but I'll try to get my hands on Fire Emblem and Dustforce. Thanks.

#8 Edited by Irvandus (2878 posts) -

I played Fallout 3 so much I don't want to even think about what my playtime for that game is. Persona 3 took a ton of time to go through. Lately I've been playing a lot of Blood Bowl. Once you've learned the basics it's super addicting.

#9 Edited by Kyelb22 (294 posts) -

I've put a few hundred hours into every Bethesda game post-Oblivion. I just got New Vegas during the steam sale, so I modded the hell out of it and I've already put about 20 hours into it. And this is having already played it through on 360. I just can't get enough of that style of game.

#10 Posted by TheLastGunslinger (310 posts) -

In 2012 I had a week of vacation time that I couldn't carry over to the next year so I took off the entire week when FarCry 3 came out. I ended up 100% the game during my time off. One of the best vacations ever.

#11 Posted by Duder_Me (299 posts) -

The Just Cause 2 demo.

#12 Edited by ProfessorEss (7507 posts) -

Some big ones for me this generation were: Terraria, Just Cause 2, FarCry 2 and 3, Viva Pinata 1 and 2, Jetpack Joyride, Plants vs. Zombies, Tiny Tower, Fallout 3 and the winner by a thousand country miles... World of Warcraft.

#13 Posted by cloudymusic (1230 posts) -

MMOs and any open-world game.

#14 Posted by CitizenKane (10508 posts) -

Any Fallout and Elder Scrolls games, as well as any sim or tycoon game(I have put more time into RollerCoaster Tycoon that any game ever).

#15 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Isaac is a time lord, as are sots: the pit, super house of dead ninjas, FTL, skyrim, don't starve, crusader kings 2, any total war game.

#16 Posted by schreiberty (208 posts) -

Dungeons of Dredmore, Civ 5, Dota2.

The last 2 just because of the lengths of the games and DoD because DoD is fuckin great

#17 Posted by MocBucket62 (1259 posts) -

The Total War titles will consume your time if you play the campaign. XCOM: Enemy Unknown can be a real time sinker too.

#18 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6094 posts) -

@schreiberty: Dredmor does take forever and thus falls into the category in and of itself; I can progress through an ASCII roguelike much faster.

Heroes of Might and Magic, any Paradox game, any Koei game. The Last of Us takes around 80 hours to 100% assuming you don't exploit things to make it go faster. Never been able to get into the Total War games since the AI is just too stupid and the way armies interact isn't especially accurate (though there are mods like Stainless Steel to make that stuff better and Napoleon: TW seems to be alright).

#19 Edited by dekkadekkadekka (741 posts) -

I'm playing through Final Fantasy VII on PC. Again.

#20 Posted by MysteriousFawx (384 posts) -

@irvandus said:

I played Fallout 3 so much I don't want to even think about what my playtime for that game is. Persona 3 took a ton of time to go through. Lately I've been playing a lot of Blood Bowl. Once you've learned the basics it's super addicting.

Blood Bowl hooked me something crazy, got a Chaos team leveled up enough to a point where I was injuring over half of the other team before the match finished... I won't get started on the kill count

#21 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6094 posts) -

@dekkadekkadekka: You're a dumbass for buying it on steam, if you already owned it on PC then good on you; though replaying an emulated version of FFIV or FFVI will always be more fun and engaging as well as having the ability to speed things up at will.

#22 Posted by JasonR86 (9723 posts) -

Okami. That's 50+ hours of visual bliss with no thinking required.

#23 Edited by dekkadekkadekka (741 posts) -

@fredchuckdave:

1. Why a dumbass? Although I should point out that I sold a bunch of trading cards which paid for FFVII when it went on sale during the Steam summer sale.

2. I don't like 4 or 6. My actual favourite is 5 but 7 will forever be lodged in my heart.

#24 Posted by believer258 (12176 posts) -

I used to spend days just playing Ratchet and Clank games, particularly 2 and 3. Skyrim captured me for ages, and still does occasionally. I had to drag myself away from Torchlight 2 at 3 AM to go to bed a few times. And Shin Megami Tensei IV is doing the same now, though not quite to the "all day, everyday" extent that these other games did.

#25 Posted by ConfusedOwl (963 posts) -

New Vegas and Skyrim are the obvious but for some reason I spent about 85 hours on Star Ocean 4 a few years back. The story is bad and the voice acting even worse but the gameplay was super addicting. I hear the PS3 version is better, I might pick that up someday if I get a PS3.

#26 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6094 posts) -

@dekkadekkadekka: Eh 12 bucks is a ripoff for a 1997 game unless it's really damn rare; FFVII sold so many copies and is so ubiquitous though; I could see 2-5 bucks being okay. Then again Square Enix is still one of my favorite companies especially due to Tomb Raider and Deus Ex recently so I don't really care if you support them, it's still so dumb though; the game offers absolutely nothing more than it did 16 years ago aside from nostalgia.

#27 Edited by dekkadekkadekka (741 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: It was 40% off during the sale and I already own at least 3 physical copies of it. But you are otherwise correct on all other points.

#28 Edited by BambamCZ (147 posts) -

For me it always were the 4x games. Civilization games, Alpha Centauri, Master of Orion 2, Master of Magic, Call to Power 2 and bunch of others (If you really wanna have a long game, try Galactic Civilizations II). Also agree on the rogue-likes Dungeons of Dredmor and Sword of the Stars are awesome time wasters.

#29 Posted by alanm26v5 (463 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: Considering the popularity of FF7 and some of the prices for iOS ports from Square Enix games, I'm surprised it was only 12 dollars.

I tend to go overboard with games when I get into them. For example, I bought Skyrim shortly after the GOTY discussion about it but it didn't click with me at all and I had written it off. Then about 6 weeks ago I decided to give it another shot and next thing I know I've put in 200 hours.

#30 Posted by DukesT3 (1945 posts) -

The Sims. Being 15 during the summer with that game I'd end up playing for almost a good 10 hours straight.

#31 Posted by jeffrud (422 posts) -

Between Civilization III, IV, and V, that's probably about 400 hours of my life. Double that if you include all of the Total War games, though I think excessive Civ has destroyed whatever TW abilities I had. Very different styles of strategy games.

#32 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

Minecraft seems to be endless. Seeing as the whole gameplay is what you want to do, rather than following a set story line.

#33 Posted by MentalDisruption (1670 posts) -

Civilization V and Don't Starve are taking up tons of my time right now.

#34 Posted by Grillbar (1902 posts) -

civ 5, anno 2070, dota 2, skyrim, the last remnant, the settlers 7 path to kingdom, tropico 4, just cause 2,dark souls/demon souls, diablo 3, star craft 2 hots, terraria/minecraft (although i personally diddent like them i would still mention them)

#35 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1681 posts) -

Sign me up all the time!

I tried a marathon game of civ 5 before bed a while back. That was a dumb idea because I didn't get to sleep that night.

#36 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

Sign me up all the time!

I tried a marathon game of civ 5 before bed a while back. That was a dumb idea because I didn't get to sleep that night.

I was gonna do the same thing when the game suddenly got Trading Cards on Steam(Free money! WOO!)
And while just creating a game to play I went "Meh, I'll put it on marathon mode, I'm just gonna quit in an hour or two anyway".. 7 hours later and I saw no signs of me stopping with it.

#37 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

most JRPGs

#38 Posted by Morka (163 posts) -

@zeforgotten said:

@earlessshrimp said:

@zeforgotten said:

Sign me up all the time!

I was gonna do the same thing when the game suddenly got Trading Cards on Steam(Free money! WOO!)

And while just creating a game to play I went "Meh, I'll put it on marathon mode, I'm just gonna quit in an hour or two anyway".. 7 hours later and I saw no signs of me stopping with it.

EXACLY the same thing happened to me aswell. Plus i bought botx of the expansion packs for it. And it all started with those dammned trading cards.

(BRB, gotta take ONE more turn)

#39 Posted by Coafi (1495 posts) -

Tetris.

#40 Edited by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Skyrim. Good god i dont even want to know how many hours ive dumped into it.

#41 Edited by Vasta_Narada (458 posts) -

Mana Khemia, a PS2 JRPG wherein you synthesize ALL OF YOUR STUFF. That game shouldn't be amazing, but all the pieces come together just right, in my opinion.

#42 Posted by BaneFireLord (2956 posts) -

Definitely Skyrim. I played 12 hours straight on release day alone.

#43 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1681 posts) -

@morka: I'm still waiting for the right moment to buy the 2nd expansion pack. When the day does come, that'll be a solid evening of a few beers and some serious Civilizing

#44 Posted by Jeust (10852 posts) -

Persona 3 FES

Fable 2 and 3

Resident Evil 6

Dead Island

#45 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

I'm sinking so much time into Animal Crossing: New Leaf right now and somewhat feel guilty.

Time sink games I love, though, would be Bethesda's open world Elder Scrolls and Fallout 3 including Obsidian's New Vegas as well as any strategy game.

#46 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I don't really do that, given how I schedule my gaming time. And my time in general.

#47 Posted by TheHT (11768 posts) -
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  • Left 4 Dead/Left 4 Dead 2
  • Mount and Blade/Mount and Blade Warband
  • Demon's Souls/Dark Souls
  • Diablo 3
  • Oblivion (it's just such a prettier world than Skyrim to explore)
  • Web of Shadows (hours and hours spent just swingin around)
  • Civ V (I've only played one match I believe, almost non-stop, clocking in around 15 hours)

#48 Edited by Nux (2419 posts) -

Any SMT game really. Besides that I did play Skyrim for 15 hours straight on release day. That was a really good day.

#49 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

SMT/Persona. Bethesda games.

Really any open world game with a decent amount of content becomes a time sink for me.

#50 Posted by Kazzenn (147 posts) -

Crusader Kings 2. The vanilla game plus the Game of Thrones mod made me sink many hours into that game, still jump in from time to time.