Time to join PC gaming. Need controller.

• 67 results
golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I saw my sister playing Alan Wake on her little laptop and the graphics look better than I thought they would given the power of that thing. I know my laptop is a lot more powerful so I figure I could probably handle some PC games.

The main problem is I can't deal with keyboard and mouse. I hate it. I haven't completed Amnesia because I can't handle WASD movement. If I wanted to buy a controller for PC games what do I need to buy? I have a 360 so I'm pretty comfortable with that controller.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Joeyoe31

A Wired Xbox 360 Controller. Simple as that. It isn't off brand. It's basic and any game that supports a controller definitely supports an Xbox 360 Controller.

psyklon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Wired 360 controller.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I managed to use my ps3 controller to play on pc, though I had to install a program. I'm sure you can do the same with the 360 controller.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

I got a cheapo gamespot brand wired 360 controller which works well.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@joey said:

How does it compare to a real 360 controller?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#7  Edited By fisk0

Yeah, I'd say 360 controller as well. They're the most widely supported these days, and given the proprietary dumb things that Microsoft has done with how it functions (the triggers are for example an analog axis instead of two buttons, and the right stick has the x and y axes mixed up, and all the analog axes are poorly centered and need a 20% dead zone in order to not go crazy) many games that were coded for 360 controller support don't behave when you use regular (PS2 style) HID compliant controllers.

It obviously comes down to what you want to do though, new games are made with the 360 controller in mind, but if you plan to play a lot made before 2007 or so (when the 360 controller started getting support on PC, with Halo 2 Vista, Shadowrun and stuff like that) you may get a lot of issues due to the quirks described above. DosBox handles it pretty well, it can be configured to remap all the buttons and sticks on the 360 controllers to various keyboard buttons and mouse/joystick axis, but older Windows games can get really fiddly unless they directly allow you to bind every joystick axis the way you want, and some won't recognize the right stick or triggers.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wired 360 controller all the way.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wired 360 pad.... although if all you have are wireless 360 pads you can pick up a wireless dongle.

bombedyermom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bombedyermom

360 controller, all the way baby.

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought 2 Razer Onza controllers, tournament edition and normal, and both ran into problems with the analogue stick, making them useless. Tried opening one up to fix it but couldn't get it back together, even though I had done this successfully in the past with sony controllers. If you have a ps3 controller you can get it to work on PC using a USB cable and using a motion-in-joy driver. Otherwise... Wired 360 controller :)

smellylettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Or you could use a wireless xbox360 controller if you already have one and just get an offbrand wireless receiver off of ebay (less than $20) or something. Works great for me.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Learn to use mouse and keyboard by playing something less intensive like Portal

You'll thank me for it long-term, especially if you plan on playing online

Nivash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nivash

@sagalla said:

I bought 2 Razer Onza controllers, tournament edition and normal, and both ran into problems with the analogue stick, making them useless. Tried opening one up to fix it but couldn't get it back together, even though I had done this successfully in the past with sony controllers. If you have a ps3 controller you can get it to work on PC using a USB cable and using a motion-in-joy driver. Otherwise... Wired 360 controller :)

I bought a tournament edition too and my analogue crapped out as well. Read that it might have to do with the adjustable tension screwing up the sensors, but really it's more down to shoddy quality control at Razor. I actually did manage to open up and put mine back together - for all the good that did me. Which is none of the good. It was a nice controller for the month or two it actually worked but I can't really recommend it to anyone after that experience.

I have to echo the sentiment in this thread: get a wired official 360 controller. It's the industry standard at this point. Most games will support it by default with no tinkering required at all and the screen prompts will be the right ones. They are also pretty well made and cheap this late in the console cycle.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't matter first or third party. As long as you get a 360 controller all will be fine.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By fattony12000

Xbox 360 wired controller.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JoeyRavn

@supamon said:

Don't matter first or third party. As long as you get a 360 controller all will be fine.

Uh. No. Get a real 360 gamepad from Microsoft and avoid cheap (or expensive) knockoffs. They are not worth it. The official 360 gamepad is as good as it gets.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog: I've used a wireless xbox controller for years and have never had a problem with it. It's always worked great.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had nothing but issues with off-brand controllers. I highly suggest a 360 controller made by Microsoft.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zenmastah

Got a third party 360 controller first, it broke within a month after purchase so got a official wired 360 controller after that and ive been pleased with it.

The third party controller was Saitek Cyber v5 Rumble Pad btw, stay the fuck away from that POS.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyravn said:

@supamon said:

Uh. No. Get a real 360 gamepad from Microsoft and avoid cheap (or expensive) knockoffs. They are not worth it. The official 360 gamepad is as good as it gets.

I used a Mad Catz 360 controller for over 2 years that has been reliable as hell. It still works right now except for the matte skin that's all sticky and gross now. I know the Razer Onza has infamously bad QA, I had a few friends get it and break within weeks. My colleague got a Razer Sabretooth and while I can't say anything about the build it definitely feels amazing in my hands and the buttons click when you press them like you would if you were using a mechanical keyboard. So to me, I believe there are good 3rd party pads out there and I'm willing to pay a little more for a better experience.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Don't get third party as they are all cheap and flimsy. It's a one time investment but unless you're some kind of lunatic that doesn't wear socks in your house and throws the controller at walls or something then it will last you a long time.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I have a mad catz usb 360 controller that has served me well (although the LB is getting a little untrustworthy and really hurting me in Dark Souls). As long as it's wired and 360 it should be fine. Most games don't even require you to change settings anymore.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti

Wired 360 controller.

Over the years I've tried several other 3rd party controllers for PC both cheap and expensive, they were all inferior, in simple manufacturing quality, compatibility, ergonomics, etc.

Although to truly join PC gaming you should learn to love the keyboard and mouse. For certain types of games it's just a much better input method. :)

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

I saw my sister playing Alan Wake on her little laptop

May I marry your sister? I have gold and cattle for trading, comrade.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bemusedchunk

Wired 360 controller.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wired 360 controller. You pay a little more, but why compromise? I've had mine for 6 years now and it still works. It's a quality product that will last for years.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you have a new 360 controller with the transforming d pad, than you're already set! Data goes through the Play and Charge kits on those.

Otherwise like everyone else is saying go pick up a wired controller for cheap or a never wireless with play and charge kit.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

360 controller, but at some point you'll have to learn KB/M because some games don't support the controller. Mass Effect 3, for example. Also, you will never do well in a PC multiplayer shooter with a controller.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@golguin said:

I don't know she sounds pretty competent, I bet she would be the one paying dowry to your parents, or not....

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

360 wired controller is the best, it was also 30 bucks for the longest time, so very affordable too.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By soldierg654342

As others have said, get a wired 360 controller, but make sure it's from Microsoft. Some games don't play nice with non-Microsoft controllers. Most do, but I've had issues with Binary Domain and my PDP Afterglow.

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I use the official microsoft wireless adapter found here, and whatever wireless 360 controller I have laying around. I've never had any of the issues (input lag, desyncing) that I've heard others complain about while using the wireless adapter. Either way you can't go wrong using the 360 controller.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Learn to use mouse and keyboard by playing something less intensive like Portal

You'll thank me for it long-term, especially if you plan on playing online

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@dagbiker said:
@jouseldelka said:

@golguin said:

I don't know she sounds pretty competent, I bet she would be the one paying dowry to your parents, or not....

That'd be funny if this thread got derailed into an argument over who got to marry his sister.

mclargepants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

360 pad is the way to go, but if you can, go wireless. Wires suck! Plus if you hook up to your TV, it'll be that much easier to deal with all of it.

Petturi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Petturi

360 controller, wired or wireless.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#40  Edited By zidd

360 pad is the way to go, but if you can, go wireless. Wires suck!

ONLY if you can get an official Microsoft wireless 360 receiver. There are knockoffs everywhere and they aren't worth the trouble to get them working.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@joeyoe31: I have the same problem. Will any wired controller do, or do I have to get the 360 controller for windows?

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I'm in the same boat. The Steam sale got me some PC games I wanted to try out with a controller. I got a 3rd party one at
Target for 25 bucks. Works great.

I also hooked up my laptop to my TV and tried Steam Big Picture. Pretty cool.

A new PC is definitely in the running with PS4 and Xbox for my next gaming experience.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

@golguin said:

@joey said:

How does it compare to a real 360 controller?

It's pretty close, build quality not quite the same, the dpad still sucks. Buttons, sticks, and triggers feel good.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

If you have a PS3 then you don't need to buy anything.

That's what I use.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By ProfessorEss

@blatantninja23 said:

If you have a new 360 controller with the transforming d pad, than you're already set! Data goes through the Play and Charge kits on those.

Otherwise like everyone else is saying go pick up a wired controller for cheap or a never wireless with play and charge kit.

I just got my friend to try this out (cause if it worked I'd get his old wired). It set up drivers but isn't being recognized by anything.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ProfessorEss

@starvinggamer said:

If you have a PS3 then you don't need to buy anything.

That's what I use.

I assume you mean the DS3?

You need 3rd party software for it right?

What software do you use?

Does it work the same through USB as it does Bluetooth dongle?

As you can probably tell from my message, I have a Dual Shock 3 and know nothing about it. Any pertinent info you felt like spilling would be killer.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JoeyRavn

@supamon said:

@joeyravn said:

@supamon said:

I used a Mad Catz 360 controller for over 2 years that has been reliable as hell. It still works right now except for the matte skin that's all sticky and gross now. I know the Razer Onza has infamously bad QA, I had a few friends get it and break within weeks. My colleague got a Razer Sabretooth and while I can't say anything about the build it definitely feels amazing in my hands and the buttons click when you press them like you would if you were using a mechanical keyboard. So to me, I believe there are good 3rd party pads out there and I'm willing to pay a little more for a better experience.

A Mad Catz 360 gamepad is around $35-40, right? On Amazon you can get an official Microsoft 360 wired gamepad for $35. I just don't see any reason to go with a third-party gamepad when you can get the nearly-perfect official one for the same price (or $5 less).

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@professoress: Well, I mean if you have a PS3, then I'd assume you have either a Sixaxis or a DS3 plus the USB to mini-USB cable.

The software you need is on this site: http://www.motioninjoy.com/

It looks sketchy as fuck but I promise you it's legit. Once you've synced your controller to it, you can have it emulate a 360 controller since all PC games nowadays have built-in 360 controller support.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I used a wired, first-party 360 controller heavily with my PC for about six or seven years before I got a little bit of drift on the left stick. All the rubber was worn off the sticks too. Otherwise it still worked just fine. That's plenty reliable for my needs. Plus, like other people have said, it's pretty much the standard for games that are cross platform between PC and Xbox. It's a good choice. Whether I get an Xbox One or not, I'm really interested to know whether the XOne's controller improves on the 360's.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Cool. Wanted to go with the 360 pad but the wired can be tough to find, plus, it's hard for me to spend money on a controller with over half a dozen sitting in my living room.

I recognize that motioninjoy name. Thanks.