• 120 results
Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

I'm not hating on Americans here

However it seem so many games are set in America or have American characters.

I could be wrong but it just feels like almost every game i play that has real world locations its almost always in the US of A.

Have you guys noticed it as well or is it just me? What other real world locations are used in gaming?

Yes, i know many devs are from the US. But i live in Toronto and if i were to make games i would not always use that as the settings for them.

#1 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

I could be wrong but it just feels like almost every game i play that has real world locations its almost always in the US of A.

Have you guys noticed it as well or is it just me? What other real world locations are used in gaming?

Yes, i know many devs are from the US. But i live in Toronto and if i were to make games i would not always use that as the settings for them.

#2 Posted by mosespippy (4112 posts) -

I've noticed it for sure. I can really only think of one game set exclusively in Canada and I've probably played hundreds of games set in the US. It seems like a lopsided amount of games are set in America.

#3 Posted by ThePickle (4163 posts) -

Aside from Fallout, I can't think of many games that took place in the US.

#4 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

America is the way to go...

#5 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@ThePickle said:

if you american't i amerwill

crysis

red steel

conduit

last of us

resistance

no more heros

and the list goes on forever

#6 Posted by johncallahan (557 posts) -

As an American who loves America I have to agree. I don't mind games set in the US at all, but variety is the spice of life as they say. Sleeping Dogs is one of my favorite games this year just because of its setting and character. So different than what we usually get.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

......What are you sending them?

#8 Posted by owack6 (213 posts) -

USA has the biggest game development business in the world so it would make sense American developers would go for American cities for the setting, even if not in name atleast in style.

#9 Posted by ajamafalous (11957 posts) -

Another quality topic from banishedsoul.

#10 Edited by PenguinDust (12491 posts) -

Some games take place in American cities, but I think most games are set in fictional universes with cities that only look like America. To the best of my knowledge, there are no places named Steelport, Liberty City or Raccoon City in the US. And really, what would differentiate them from an imaginary Vancouver or Toronto? That being said, I wouldn't mind more games being set in cities with distinctive European and Asian architecture. Obviously, most fantasy games are based on a romanticized feudal Europe.

#11 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@ajamafalous said:

Another quality topic from banishedsoul.

if you don't like them then jog on. You are just bumping it by posting here.

#12 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

It's obviously much easier to set a game in a place you are already familiar with than trying to go on photos and video or, spend a lot of money traveling somewhere and researching the architecture and culture.

Of course that was one of the big things that made Deadly Premonition so weird. It was the strange, slightly off Japanese version of a small American town.

#13 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

It makes sense that so many games would be set in the US, as that is where a great deal of game developers are based, and when using real world settings, it's easier to use a setting that is familiar than to do research on foreign locales. Plenty of Japanese games are set in Japan, so why not say there are too many games set in Japan as well? Maybe when game industries develop more in other countries the US setting won't be so commonplace.

#14 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I don't think a game that takes place in Canada would look a ton different than one set in the US.

#15 Posted by ThePickle (4163 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@ThePickle said:

crysis

red steel

conduit

last of us

resistance

no more heros

Most games take place in space or fictional brown planets. Fallout stuck out in my mind because that's a game that very much embraces Americana (god I hate that word) and Washington DC as an area.

But you're right, more variety in environments couldn't hurt.

#16 Posted by mlarrabee (2920 posts) -

Most games are designed by Americans. The games that aren't are designed for Americans.

That said, I love a proper un-American game (Metro 2033, Uncharted, BioShock).

I would love a game set in modern-day Italy, Spain, or Bangladesh.

#17 Posted by Jrinswand (1703 posts) -

It's probably because America is the only country in the world that matters?

#18 Posted by Milkman (16637 posts) -

Well, there's a pretty simple reason for that and it's because--USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

#19 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

You're right, but I think you mean that too many games are set in facsimiles of Los Angeles or New York. Being the two most populous cities in the United States (probably the largest nation that consumes/pays for video games) it makes sense that developers would choose these locales. I, for one, would love to see a game set in my home state's biggest metropolis Atlanta. It's got one of the weirdest highway systems and is really an interesting area historically, at least once you get outside the city limits.

You are talking open world action games, aren't you? It's really a gross generalization to say that too many games are set in the USA. Unnamed Middle Eastern Country get's a lot of play these days. Canada doesn't get much play in games because...either too much wilderness or not enough interesting activity. That's my two cents, anyway.

#20 Posted by AuthenticM (3710 posts) -

It's called ethnocentrism. Not a fan.

#21 Edited by Spoonman671 (4595 posts) -

The entire planet is fairly familiar with the United States.  Setting a game there provides a certain level of context that can be broadly understood by the largest number of people, wherever they may live.  Setting a game in Fes, Bursa, Ulaanbaatar, or Arequipa limits your audience, and potentially creates some additional exposition requirements.

#22 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1 said:

You're right, but I think you mean that too many games are set in facsimiles of Los Angeles or New York. Being the two most populous cities in the United States (probably the largest nation that consumes/pays for video games) it makes sense that developers would choose these locales. I, for one, would love to see a game set in my home state's biggest metropolis Atlanta. It's got one of the weirdest highway systems and is really an interesting area historically, at least once you get outside the city limits.

You are talking open world action games, aren't you? It's really a gross generalization to say that too many games are set in the USA. Unnamed Middle Eastern Country get's a lot of play these days. Canada doesn't get much play in games because...either too much wilderness or not enough interesting activity. That's my two cents, anyway.

Canada does have some fairly big cities. It's not that i want to see more Canadian based games. Its that i want to see more interesting locations that many people don't get to see in real life. Everyone knows What new york looks like for example but it could be more imersive by putting people into a places like Bangladesh or the mountains of Nepal.

I think the only game i have that has Canada in it is Scot Pilgrim. I think they mention Montreal in uncharted 2 lol.

i guess it is a generalization but its just what i see the most.

#23 Posted by Hunkulese (2695 posts) -

Vancouver 2010 took place in Canada.

#24 Posted by tachyon (18 posts) -

@banishedsoul1: I was just thinking of this the other day. The reason why I think a lot of games are based in United States is because it is like not basing books or movies written in 1800's to 1940's in Britain or having to do with a British people. I think of it as the simple fact people find American setting intriguing even if they are not Americans because United States is "considered" by people to be the "dominant" country at this time, and because of that everyone knows about the United States with it's people and cities. Simply, as a developer are you going to choose America which has power to cause big scale wars, or are you going to choose another country like Kosovo. Sure Kosovo has wars, but are they that large in scale to have someone say "HELL YES!"?

#25 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1807 posts) -

@banishedsoul1: I totally agree with you that there are too many games set in generic American Cities. There are also way too many games that take place in generic fantasyland and unnamed middle eastern country. More variety in locales would be amazing in games, but especially in open-world games. I would love an open-world crime game set in the Soviet Union just before it's dissolution.

#26 Edited by BaneFireLord (2920 posts) -
@banishedsoul1 said:

@ThePickle said:

crysis

red steel

conduit

last of us

resistance

no more heros

First two Crysis games (Warhead included) take place in the Philippines, first Resistance takes place in England. Otherwise, yeah. A lot of games do take place in America. Then again, so does most non-fantastical fiction. I guess the US is just easy to write about.
#27 Posted by Hunter5024 (5612 posts) -

I think it's just a matter of it being easy to recreate what you're familiar with, and there's a huge number of studios who are based in the US. Plus New York is one of the most iconic cities in the world.

#28 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

Yeah I agree with a lot of the posts here, it really boils down to familiarity for many developers.I'd love to see a game incorporate Mexican, Latin American and/or South American architecture into their games as that's something we don't particularly see very often to my knowledge.

#29 Posted by Tesla (1918 posts) -

I'm American and I would love for more games to be set outside my country. I think most Americans tend to like foreign things in their art. We are a country of immigrants after all.

The problem I think is the content providers underestimate their audience. Really all that matters is that the setting and characters are interesting. You can still do that with a game set in America (see a black man in the South in The Walking Dead).

#30 Posted by buzz_clik (6967 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

Shut it down, folks. We're done here.

#31 Posted by drac96 (670 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

@ThePickle said:

crysis

red steel

conduit

last of us

resistance

no more heros

Are you sure No More Heroes took place in America? I figured it took place in some magical fantasy land filled with assassins.

#32 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@banishedsoul1 said:

Too many games set in America AND too many games set in SPECIFICALLY New York City.

Movies are worse about this.

#33 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

And?

#34 Posted by Grillbar (1812 posts) -

i agree but in the end, honestly i really dont care i just play em'

though i am a little sick of the military shooters with america as the savior of all man kind and all that is good and righteous and everyone who dont agree in a heartbeat are the incarnation of evil itself.

and everyone would be fucked if it was not for that one marine who is a one man army

basically im kinda getting sick of all the hoorah

but in the end i just ignore it

its a fimiliar setting and everyone will recognize it. not everyone will recognize a setting in Luxembourger or if the main military force that are the "good guys" are spetsnaz, Shayetet 13 (also known as Flotilla 13), Kopassus (could be fun) or just more with sas.

outside of shooters i dont think its that bad really

i know it sounds kinda anti america but its really not meant like that.

its more the point of some americans think that america is the only place that matters in the world and the rest is just there to obey

and that made it sound even worse so ill stop now before i make it worse

@Milkman said:

Well, there's a pretty simple reason for that and it's because--USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

so its for american to remember where they live?

okay now ill stop

#35 Posted by banishedsoul1 (294 posts) -

@clstirens said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

Too many games set in America AND too many games set in SPECIFICALLY New York City.

Movies are worse about this.

yeah movies even try to make canadian cities look like part of the us. lol one time near where my ex lives they turned the area into tokyo for a movie.

#36 Posted by ThePickle (4163 posts) -

@drac96 said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

@ThePickle said:

crysis

red steel

conduit

last of us

resistance

no more heros

Are you sure No More Heroes took place in America? I figured it took place in some magical fantasy land filled with assassins.

It takes place in Santa Destroy, a fictional city based on US cities.

#37 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

Isn't it more common for games to take place in fictional places? It seems like games don't take place in real places that often in the grand scheme of things. And does anyone really care where a game is set? I could care less that Fallout 3 was in Washington DC because the area had been so fictionalized the location was practically irrelevant.

#38 Posted by tourgen (4464 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

Isn't it more common for games to take place in fictional places? It seems like games don't take place in real places that often in the grand scheme of things. And does anyone really care where a game is set? I could care less that Fallout 3 was in Washington DC because the area had been so fictionalized the location was practically irrelevant.

I remembered when I visited DC and rode the subways. It was weird knowing the names of quite a few of the stops already.

#39 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

@ThePickle said:

crysis

red steel

conduit

last of us

resistance

no more heros

First two Crysis games (Warhead included) take place in the Philippines, first Resistance takes place in England. Otherwise, yeah. A lot of games do take place in America. Then again, so does most non-fantastical fiction. I guess the US is just easy to write about.

I think you see what you want to see. If you really took the time and sorted out every game, the majority would be set in a fantasy land that doesn't exist. You've already been corrected on a most of the games you list. The other half can be considered places that don't actually exist or take place in multiple countries. Are you sure that most games take place in America or that you just wish more games took place in Canada?

#40 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3794 posts) -

@Hunkulese said:

LOL

@Jams said:

@BaneFireLord said:

@banishedsoul1 said:

@ThePickle said:

crysis

red steel

conduit

last of us

resistance

no more heros

First two Crysis games (Warhead included) take place in the Philippines, first Resistance takes place in England. Otherwise, yeah. A lot of games do take place in America. Then again, so does most non-fantastical fiction. I guess the US is just easy to write about.

I think you see what you want to see. If you really took the time and sorted out every game, the majority would be set in a fantasy land that doesn't exist. You've already been corrected on a most of the games you list. The other half can be considered places that don't actually exist or take place in multiple countries. Are you sure that most games take place in America or that you just wish more games took place in Canada?

This. And you foreigners should hope we ignorant Americans don't set our games in your country because if we do we are usually blowing it to hell and taking out your terrorist leaders.

#41 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

This isn't exactly exclusive to games. The vast, vast majority of big-budget movies that play internationally are American and take place in America. Not saying I necessarily like it, or that it's right or wrong, but it's just the way of things I suppose.

#42 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@tourgen said:

@JasonR86 said:

I remembered when I visited DC and rode the subways. It was weird knowing the names of quite a few of the stops already.

I guess? I mean when I played it I was looking at the game as "Fallout World" not "Hey I'm playing a game in DC!" It might just be me but the location of a game is irrelevant.

#43 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

video games are made in the USA. More copies are sold in the USA, it makes sense to have them set in the USA>

#44 Posted by bushpusherr (777 posts) -

Too many? The vast majority of games are set in fictional universes. I would also assume that most of the games set in the USA were probably made by developers in the USA, which would make sense.

#45 Posted by tourgen (4464 posts) -

@JasonR86 said:

@tourgen said:

@JasonR86 said:

I guess? I mean when I played it I was looking at the game as "Fallout World" not "Hey I'm playing a game in DC!" It might just be me but the location of a game is irrelevant.

Oh no I agree with you. Not much else in the game is recognizable. It was just really weird looking at the maps for subway stops and realizing I already knew most of it.

#46 Posted by Turambar (6733 posts) -

How would a game set in Canada and a game set in the US differ?

#47 Edited by awesomeusername (4173 posts) -

A couple games that aren't in America. Spec Ops: The Line. BF3 and CoD games aren't only in America. The Uncharted games. Assassins Creed excluding AC3. Binary Domain. Half of Red Dead Redemption takes place in Mexico. Dante's Inferno takes place somewhere in Europe and then Hell. God of War. Resident Evil 5 is in Africa. Bad Company 1 is in Russia or something. Far Cry 2. That's just a couple.

#48 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@Turambar said:

Everyone would speak in French, like Hockey, and be way to nice.

#49 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

@Turambar said:

It would be boring, thats for sure.

:P

#50 Posted by TooWalrus (13159 posts) -

OK, this is stupid. I haven't been able to play all of the games I wanted to this year, but of the ones I have, the vast majority don't take place in America (or, solely in America, SSX had some Rocky Mountain areas and some of Max Payne took place in New York). Here's what I've played- none of it takes place in the States.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 
SSX 
Xenoblade Chronoicles 
Witcher 2 
Max Payne 3 
Diablo 3  
Skyrim: Dawnguard 
Spec Ops: The Line 
Persona 4 Arena  

Also, the examples you listed aren't even good examples. The first Resistance took place in London, and the world of Resistance 2, while geographically it takes place in America, is really unrecognizable, as it's all been taken over by alien shit.