#1 Edited by RonnieColeManMrO (31 posts) -

Anyone else real tired of all the patches seems every time I want to play a game it needs some sort of patch. I just want to put a game in and play.

#2 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Preach it!

#3 Posted by EkajArmstro (386 posts) -

From many bugs

#4 Posted by LiquidPrince (15949 posts) -

KS.

#5 Edited by BawlZINmotion (714 posts) -

All the fucking time. In fact, it led me to not logging into Steam for quite some time. And then there are the games...

#6 Posted by afabs515 (1083 posts) -

KS that shit bro.

#7 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

From many bugs

Well done, but this really is the truth. Whether QA ain't what it used to be, or games are just so complex now, or both, I'm not sure. Add to that, ridiculously tight deadlines from corporate overlords.

#8 Posted by crithon (3255 posts) -

nah, I'd rather have it working well with less bugs and waiting for a patch to download and update is a minor inconvenience. Jesus christ Valve games on launch day are dreadful mess, that's why I always keep a gameboy beside me since Counter Strike over 10 years ago.

#9 Posted by PandaBear (1373 posts) -

Whoa! Wait a minute!! He's right!? Why has nobody else EVER said this EVER in the history of EVER!?!?!?!!! CALL SCOOPS!!!!

#10 Posted by CornBREDX (5295 posts) -

i know. my vest has no more open space now. i gotta start putting patches on top of patches.

wait, what were we talking about?

#11 Posted by Brundage (376 posts) -

Ain't nothin wrong with some patchin

#12 Posted by DocHaus (1331 posts) -

The last time I went to a barber he cut a patch right in the middle of my damn head! I should sue him in internet court!

#13 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1852 posts) -

I am grateful for patches because they mean games can be fixed, content can be added, all that good stuff. But I also think the ability to patch games so regularly and easily has caused the development process to not be so thorough or careful in their debugging process, so... I dunno?

I don't mind 'em.

#14 Posted by Sinusoidal (1510 posts) -

Patches are a good thing. They've eliminated the need for developers to do QA testing before release. Which means they save all kinds of money and games can be cheaper up front and not full of microtransactions.

Heeeyyy, wait a minute!

#15 Posted by ShaggE (6455 posts) -

Yup.

#16 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (5057 posts) -

i'd rather get double xp.

#17 Posted by FengShuiGod (1486 posts) -

It's nice that Steam makes it easy for developers to patch in case there is something wrong with your game, but its more ok nowadays if something is wrong with your game because they can just issue a patch for it. We live in an age of many bugs and many patches. Also my TF2 game is all the gigabytes now.

#18 Posted by jaycee13 (523 posts) -

Actually, I really enjoy patches. Since I have quite a few "early access" games, I get a little exited at the premise of new things being added to the game.

#19 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I'd rather my game be patched than be broken.

In a perfect world I'd rather my game come perfect, but as games become more and more complicated that's just something only a madman would expect.

#20 Posted by BluPotato (421 posts) -

I think the reason you see alot more patches for games these days just come from the fact that every platform has a solid system in place to make it easier to distribute them to the userbase. Some older games have pretty huge game breaking bugs that just never got patched because it was A) impossible to do so or B) most users would not even know that a patch existed and wouldn't even use it had it been released.

I'm just glad I don't have to hunt down and manually patch games myself anymore. What a pain in the ass that was.

#21 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Welcome to PC gaming circa forever.

#22 Posted by AlisterCat (5568 posts) -

Too.

#23 Edited by Vuud (1996 posts) -

Spoiled kids. You have nice efficient services on your consoles and Steam to automatically patch your little game without you batting an eye. I remember when patching took hours of downloading on my DSL, making sure you downloaded the right patch for your version of the game (i.e. boxed or digital, US or UK or whatever country you're from) and installed them all in the right order, then waiting and checking forums to see if there will be another patch to fix the bugs introduced in the last patch! ARGH-rrarglebargle humbugrargle *old man grumbles*

#24 Posted by Capum15 (4901 posts) -

I think the reason you see alot more patches for games these days just come from the fact that every platform has a solid system in place to make it easier to distribute them to the userbase. Some older games have pretty huge game breaking bugs that just never got patched because it was A) impossible to do so or B) most users would not even know that a patch existed and wouldn't even use it had it been released.

I'm just glad I don't have to hunt down and manually patch games myself anymore. What a pain in the ass that was.

Yep. Also, everyone seems to forget that games are way more fucking complicated now. Shit can break in insanely weird ways.

#25 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3052 posts) -

Too.

As in, I came here to say this too.

#26 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

@ronniecolemanmro: no. I have unlimited broadband. Across my consoles and PC everything is already downloaded and installed when I go to play. Patches are there to fix broken things and add features. Do you want to keep your games broken?

#27 Edited by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -

@sinusoidal said:

Patches are a good thing. They've eliminated the need for developers to do QA testing before release. Which means they save all kinds of money and games can be cheaper up front and not full of microtransactions.

Heeeyyy, wait a minute!

Actually, I haven't ever seen that argument made. Firstly, I don't really see how fixing a game post-release would be wildly cheaper than doing it pre-release and if devs really didn't do pre-release QA testing, the games on the discs would be wildly broken. It certainly wouldn't the kind of thing that could be fixed with a quick day one patch.

#28 Posted by hermes (1487 posts) -

My main issue with patches is that they can't be downloaded on the background, and those that have several are an all or nothing proposition. The next generation seems like it handles it a lot better, but the current one is really bothersome.

I got it, you have a patch pending. Why can't I just mess around with the options or the single player campaign while you are at it?

#29 Posted by Veektarius (4837 posts) -

I like patches. They give me the illusion of progress.

#30 Edited by DeadpanCakes (907 posts) -
There is no "many patches." There is only one

Edit: Daze pointed out that there's also Patches from Demon's Souls, so I guess this letter addressed to "many patches" is valid.

#31 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1573 posts) -

I'm not really tired of patches if the system lets them patch in the background (i.e. Steam, current-gen consoles, iOS devices). It only annoys me when it interrupts my getting into a game, especially a game I'm playing for the first time.

#32 Edited by RazorRamen (48 posts) -

I'd rather deal with patches than broken games

#33 Posted by Daze (56 posts) -

@deadpancakes: There is also the original Patches from Demon's Souls.

#34 Posted by LackingSaint (1815 posts) -

I'm fine with patches but sometimes it can be pretty egregious. Like Starbound has had daily 500MB updates for a little while now. I appreciate that it's a beta but it's definitely annoying when suddenly my internet goes slower for half an hour every day because of this game I barely play.

#35 Posted by DeadpanCakes (907 posts) -

@daze: Dammit, you're right.

So I guess the OP was sending this message to both Patches, and potentially any other alternate universe/cameo/callback Patches.

#36 Edited by Rorie (2912 posts) -

I generally like patches. Makes me think that things are getting better/more stable. Of course it'd help if everything was as seamless about patching as Steam was.

Staff
#37 Edited by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

Has the age of the internet led to situations where QA is more lax? Probably in some cases yes. Here is the thing though. Id rather have bugs be fixable with patches rather than be stuck with a broken game forever.

#38 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3327 posts) -

@rorie said:

I generally like patches. Makes me think that things are getting better/more stable. Of course it'd help if everything was as seamless about patching as Steam was.

Spoken like a real developer Rorie.

Keep them patches comin I always say.

Patch me up, Scotty!

#39 Posted by ljbrewer (21 posts) -

I have bad internet which means the 6 GB day one patch for the disc PC version of Batman: Arkham Origins means I might as well not even own it.

#40 Posted by Vuud (1996 posts) -

Also my TF2 game is all the gigabytes now.

UGH! Tell me about it. I was looking to clear some space from my HD, and saw that TF2 was over 12 GB!!! The initial install is like 1.7 GB, the rest is all hats and other bullshit. And now the same thing is happening to CSGO. Almost every day it's downloading more weapon skins and other bullshit. This is the side of Valve I don't like.