This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by joshwent (2047 posts) -

How do you duders feel about necroing a game-specific thread, when it might be appropriate?

I'm finally playing through Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. Absolutely fantastic game, and I want to write and comment in some threads about it. The problem is, of course, that most of those threads are from three years ago.

I could just start a new thread about something in that game, because it's a bit odd continuing a dead conversation had by users that also may have stopped posting three years ago, but then we end up with multiple threads about the same thing in a game's forum, which is also weird.

What to do?!

#2 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

either way works tbh

#3 Edited by joshwent (2047 posts) -

either way works tbh

So... maybe this isn't the hot-button issue that would provoke heated debate like I thought. ;)

#4 Posted by shinjin977 (743 posts) -

I just saw like 4-5 two months old thread get necro TODAY. So, go nuts I guess.

#5 Posted by JJWeatherman (14553 posts) -

So what's the actual logic behind creating a whole new thread?

#6 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

If you want to post something thats not expansive enough for its own thread, then do it in the appropriate thread. I would just say don't reply or address your comments to another post if its over ~2 months old? I guess its personal judgement on whether to make a new thread or to necro an old one, but if you want your post to actually be read (since most people only read the OP then post themselves) you should make a new thread.

#7 Posted by Sammo21 (3199 posts) -

I don't think its a big deal, honestly.

#9 Edited by Trilogy (2637 posts) -

I'll let you know how I feel about it a year from now.

#10 Edited by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

I've never seen anyone get particularly upset about it, even the mods. It's usually like a couple of people go "damn this thread old" and then people continue posting in it until it's abandoned again. Hell, I have a thread I necro on a yearly basis, but it's sort of a joke.

#11 Posted by Prismatic (56 posts) -

I was tricked into thinking this was a Dota 2 thread.

#12 Posted by mosespippy (3975 posts) -

@prismatic: In two months you could turn it into a DotA 2 thread.

#13 Posted by MB (11884 posts) -

If there is an existing topic about a game, please don't create a duplicate. One of the big benefits to each game having it's own forum is so that topics can easily be found, even years later. Creating a new thread just because you think the existing one is too old is a little counterproductive.