• 69 results
#1 Posted by ZolRoyce (633 posts) -

Hey Duders and Dudetters! I was recently re-watching an old TNT where Brad was playing Unreal Tournament 2004, at some point in the video it's mentioned that Brad customized the keys to the game in a way Patrick thought was insane.
I too customize the hell out of the default keys for any pc game I play so I thought to pose the question, how do you all customize your keys? Do you stick with WSAD? Change one or two keys? Go freaking nuts and change everything? Actually use the arrow keys?

For me personally I can't stand WSAD, I go UJHK, spacebar is NEVER jump for me, spacebar is and will always be my use key or enter key. V is for jumping, and then I just sort of pattern everything else around those keys. i would be reload, y would be inventory etc.

So, how do you all do what you do?

#2 Posted by cheapandtacky (127 posts) -

WASD all the way, would i be correct in assuming you are left handed or do you have a huge desk?

#3 Posted by groin (838 posts) -

I use some variant of this scheme for most games. ESDF for movement, spacebar for crouching, right mouse button for jumping. Weapon keys on Q,W,R,T,A,G,Z,X,C,V.

#4 Posted by Feanor (1387 posts) -

WASD, E to interact, Space to jump, Shift to sprint, Ctrl to crouch. Anything else is madness.

#5 Posted by ZolRoyce (633 posts) -

@cheapandtacky: Not left handed, although I completely get why you would think so, interesting observation on your part. Big desk is pretty much it, sort of, I don't always use a desk, sometimes I have the keyboard splayed over my lap/arm chair/bed wherever I am and have my mouse on a solid pad to the right. So I do have plenty of room in any case.
I can't even totally remember why I started using the keys I do. I just kind of gravitated towards them and can't go back.

#6 Edited by ShaggE (6348 posts) -

Always be WASD-ing. Your setup definitely has some benefits I can see from feeling it out, but I've gotta stick with what I know. (also, people who use WAXD or something are madmen, I tell ya)

#7 Edited by Stilblad (87 posts) -

For games that I use a keyboard instead of a gamepad I do like to use ESDF. Especially in MMOs because it opens up a few more keys close to where I am resting my hand.

#8 Posted by Osaladin (2515 posts) -

WASD always, it's the most efficient to reach the shift, ctrl, alt, space, tab, and number keys.

#9 Edited by believer258 (11682 posts) -

If you watch the Quake 3 TNT, you'll see that Brad moves WASD down one, so instead it's SZXC. I don't know if he does this for every game, but it seems like he does it in Quake 3.

Me? WASD are movement keys, no exceptions. Shift is run. C is crouch if crouch is a toggle and CTRL if crouch is not a toggle (crouch should never not be a toggle). Anything else is just up to the game, I'll remap it if I don't like it.

WASD all the way, would i be correct in assuming you are left handed or do you have a huge desk?

I'm left-handed and I can't imagine playing games with some sort of southpaw control scheme. Putting the mouse on the left side of the keyboard? That's insane!

#10 Posted by Shortbreadtom (688 posts) -

@groin: Right click to jump? What kind of madman are you?

#11 Posted by groin (838 posts) -

@groin: Right click to jump? What kind of madman are you?

A casual-stomping mad man.

#12 Posted by ViciousReiven (820 posts) -

WASD Movement, E interact/use, R reload, C crouch toggle, if not toggle then CTRL, Shift walk (Always Run checked), Space jump, TAB inventory or other information screen (automap, etc), F and Q used for secondary attacks like melee or grenade throw.

#13 Edited by TobbRobb (4581 posts) -

WASD is generally what I use for movement. Though nothing else is set in stone. I tend to customize the hotkeys on priority depending on how I want to play the game. For example, in games where I don't take cover much, crouch gets put further off and gets replaced by sprint or some other ability.

#14 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1740 posts) -

If you watch the Quake 3 TNT, you'll see that Brad moves WASD down one, so instead it's SZXC. I don't know if he does this for every game, but it seems like he does it in Quake 3.

Okay, that is weird. I can understand ESDF because it opens up more buttons, but SZXC would only limit your options more.

@feanor said:

WASD, E to interact, Space to jump, Shift to sprint, Ctrl to crouch. Anything else is madness.

This man has it figured out.

#15 Posted by AlexW00d (6195 posts) -

WASD for movement sure, but other things I will change. Mouse4 for crouch for example.

#16 Posted by Teaspoon83 (623 posts) -

Although I get moving to other keys like ESDF to open up more keys, I grew up using WASD since Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament and it just clicks. All the years of muscle memory and knowing that I can reach which keys with which fingers makes it difficult to learn a new layout.

#17 Posted by SavePoint (100 posts) -

I use WASD for movement, Space for jump, Shift for crouch, Ctrl for run, E for use, and Middle Mouse for reload (or sometimes R). Overall though, I will always go with using a gamepad when it's an option... keyboard/mouse just isn't very comfortable.

#18 Posted by Pr1mus (3824 posts) -

Almost every games default to E for interact/action but i always switch it to F.

Other than that not much changes for me. C for crouch even when most games that only have crouch and no prone default to right ctrl for crouch.

#19 Posted by penfold01 (16 posts) -

All you WASD folks should give ESDF a try. Many keyboards have a nub on the F key so it's easy to find by feel if you move your hand, and if you learned touch typing it keeps your fingers mostly in home row position. It's mostly useful for MMOs where you may end up typing a lot.

#20 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

I usually change the command for Shift and Control. It's easier to hit the Shift key for me and Control always seems to have the command I use the most.

#21 Posted by crusader8463 (14415 posts) -

When I first started playing PC games I used the arrow keys and the numpad. I liked the space in between the keys as it allowed me to more easily move my fingers around the keys without needing to look down as at that point I was not comfortable with a MKB. IDK when I made the switch but I'm 100% WASD now. Couldn't imagine playing any other way.

#22 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

I hate using the keyboard to move so much, that I use a controller. Even for FPSes. I know how much the lack of a mouse hurts turning and aim. That is how much better I think an analog stick is for movement. So if I can, I use Joy2Key to map a controller onto Mouse+Keyboard. Plus I have a mouse with many buttons which lets me offload more of functions I might need.

#23 Edited by myketuna (1655 posts) -

This is how I roll.

• WASD for movement.
  • 1,2,3,4,5... etc. for weapons/skills
  • Space for melee (or other special things depending on the game).
  • L-Shift for crouch, CTRL for prone or switch run/walk (my left pinkie naturally rests on L-Shift, so fuck using CTRL for crouch).
  • E to interact, R to reload.
  • Q to sprint (I like to holding down Q and W together, but having a "toggle sprint" is best. Just tap and go.)
  • Middle mouse button to jump (This feels right for some reason).
  • F for grenade or some other "tool", G also used if need arises.
  • Z,X,C,V for miscellaneous things.
  • Mouse buttons 4,5,6 for even more miscellaneous things.
#24 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

WASD. Anything else is madness. Ctrl is crouch, no exceptions (except arma). B for inventory, tab for map, thumb mouse 4 for melee, shift for run. Pretty standard. Although I mostly use a controller, unless I really have to use a mouse like for CS or LoL etc.

#25 Posted by hermes (1387 posts) -

I ussually go with WASD. It gives me easy access to both spacebar and ctrl, and the numbers for skills...

#26 Posted by 49th (2697 posts) -

WASD, space for jump, Q for previous weapon, R for reload, E for use, CTRL for crouch, shift for run.

#27 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2990 posts) -

lol your setup is nuts duder! I gotta try UHJK one day.

#28 Posted by development (2106 posts) -

@feanor said:

Correct.

#29 Edited by NTM (7286 posts) -

I do change my keys whenever I play PC games (especially FPS'), but never, ever the WASD; unless there came a game that felt right to do so, but... I've never had that happen. For me, when it comes to shooters, I like most of them to be left shift hold (while on consoles I like toggle) to crouch, middle click on mouse as an action button to interact, X as sprint (though you can't really strafe right if you do that, but that's OK), and well, yeah.

I hate Ctrl or C as crouch, and shift is okay, but to me it feels wrong for sprint. Furthermore, there should be a keyboard that is press sensitive, so it can be like an analog stick in how depending on how much you push on it, the character will either walk or run, since on PC games with the keyboard, there's only one option, and it's to go full speed ahead. I also like right mouse click to aim down the sights.

#30 Posted by Kidavenger (3513 posts) -

Default/wasd for me, I was arrow keys for much longer than I care to admit to though.

#31 Edited by RazielCuts (2941 posts) -
@49th said:

WASD, space for jump, Q for previous weapon, R for reload, E for use, CTRL for crouch, shift for run.

This guy has it figured out. All about that previous weapon switching, get into a rhythm with it in TF2 and L4D2.

#32 Edited by iragequit (334 posts) -

Arrow keys for life. Since Wolfenstein3D. I have long fingers so all the keys surrounding the arrow keys can be reached comfortably and I'm never short of keys. Also the mouse has a few which I can use but hardly do.

#33 Posted by Nightriff (4923 posts) -

I always called it WADS, am I the only one?

Anything that requires me to use the arrow keys for moving around are instantly hate-able

#34 Posted by shinboy630 (1133 posts) -

@feanor said:

#35 Posted by bennyboy (328 posts) -

I use a Dvorak keyboard.

#36 Edited by Capt_Apparatus (7 posts) -

I'm left handed and use my mouse in the left so I use arrow keys for movement with ctrl and numpad keys 0 and 1 for anything else I might need.

#37 Edited by Belegorm (364 posts) -

Who the hell says "WSAD?" It's WASD, get it right dammit.

As for the actual question, I've always used WASD for shooters, and occasionaly for camera movement, in those games where that is possible (I believe the original System Shock used the arrow keys, though the sequel used WASD). My fingers kind of naturally float over towards that area of the keyboard now, second nature (though also the 1234 keys and the qwer keys are like that too).

#38 Posted by John1912 (1833 posts) -

I mainly use WASD now, but used to use the 10 key number pad. 7-9 leans, 8 forward, 4-6 strafe, 2 backward, 0 crouch or jump/sprint depending on the game, del or . crouch if 0 used for jump. * & / sometimes for scope toggle, next weapon, previous weapon. This was back in the day though when mouse wheels werent common.

#39 Edited by dudeglove (7688 posts) -

GET OUT OF HERE ESDFers!

#40 Posted by ZolRoyce (633 posts) -

I'm also a big fan of using the middle mouse button as melee.

@shagge said:

(also, people who use WAXD or something are madmen, I tell ya)

I think that no matter how you set your keys, we can all be united against the insanity of doing that.

lol your setup is nuts duder! I gotta try UHJK one day.

Yo man, first hit of UHJK is free but then you gotta paaaaaay.

I always called it WADS, am I the only one?

@belegorm said:

Who the hell says "WSAD?" It's WASD, get it right dammit.

"What are you doing in there?"
"LEAVE ME ALONE I'M TOUCHING MY WADS!"

I know calling it WSAD gets me in trouble but in my mind it's Up, down, left, right. so W,S,A,D.

#41 Edited by BisonHero (6236 posts) -

More important, do you say each letter of WASD individually, or do you turn it into an abomination of a word like Patrick (AND ONLY PATRICK) does?

#42 Edited by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

WSAD makes me uncomfortable. It's WASD.

And I'd just like to point out that using a keyboard for video games is effin' duuuumb. I can understand why people like to use a mouse, but I really think those analog sticks that are made for your left hand should be standard or something. Something! Using a device designed for long-form typing as a control method for action games makes NO sense. It's like the biggest shitty compromise that everyone just accepts. Alright, I'm done.

#43 Edited by themangalist (1728 posts) -

Please explain your control scheme. Why!?

I wanted to try ESDF but I stuck with WASD because I can't bother to change the keys everytime i play a new game.

#44 Posted by Skyfire543 (660 posts) -

WSAD for movement, a side mouse button for melee (usually the back one, but sometimes the front is more comfortable), Z for prone, Ctrl for crouch, Q to switch to previous weapon, numbers keys for specific weapon/item/skill choices, Spacebar for jump, E to interact.

#45 Edited by GreggD (4481 posts) -

@viking_funeral said:

@believer258 said:

Okay, that is weird. I can understand ESDF because it opens up more buttons, but SZXC would only limit your options more.

@feanor said:

This man has it figured out.

I've had to recondition myself over the past year to start using R to reload instead of F, which for some reason I started doing, not really sure how or why. At the very beginning of my PC FPS playing career, I used the arrow keys for movements, and the surrounding keys for the rest of it. Anyway, now I pretty much just go with the default configurations, with a few modifications; SPACE is duck/stance change, SHIFT is jump, CTRL is off-hand grenade, and sprint/melee are mapped to my mouse, sprinting being the forward extra button, and melee being the backward extra button. I use crouch toggle whenever possible, as well as ADS/zoom toggle.

Oh, and I invert my Y-axis. Fucking deal with it. B|

#46 Posted by Nightriff (4923 posts) -

Guess I'm the only one

#47 Posted by LiquidPrince (15855 posts) -

UJHK? What the hell is that?

#48 Posted by Random45 (1065 posts) -

WASD Movement, E interact/use, R reload, C crouch toggle, if not toggle then CTRL, Shift walk (Always Run checked), Space jump, TAB inventory or other information screen (automap, etc), F and Q used for secondary attacks like melee or grenade throw.

Exactly right. This is what us NORMAL people use!

@zolroyce said:

Hey Duders and Dudetters! I was recently re-watching an old TNT where Brad was playing Unreal Tournament 2004, at some point in the video it's mentioned that Brad customized the keys to the game in a way Patrick thought was insane.

I too customize the hell out of the default keys for any pc game I play so I thought to pose the question, how do you all customize your keys? Do you stick with WSAD? Change one or two keys? Go freaking nuts and change everything? Actually use the arrow keys?

For me personally I can't stand WSAD, I go UJHK, spacebar is NEVER jump for me, spacebar is and will always be my use key or enter key. V is for jumping, and then I just sort of pattern everything else around those keys. i would be reload, y would be inventory etc.

So, how do you all do what you do?

Doesn't it hurt to play like that? You use your pinky to jump I presume, and do you use your thumb to tap the space bar? You're just a fruit cake.

#49 Posted by Stonyman65 (2608 posts) -

WASD is the only way to go. I always use C to crouch since it is faster that ctrl, but WASD for sure,

ESDF is acceptable if you are playing WoW or something and you need to reach hotkeys, but other than MMORPGs I fail to see why anyone would need to use ESDF these days....

#50 Edited by fisk0 (3874 posts) -

I've gotten pretty used to WASD in recent years, but I used to either play with the numpad (since I'm left handed) or WXAD (where S is the crouch button) for quite a while. Nowadays I'm getting kinda comfortable playing FPSes with an controller, even on PC. I don't give a shit that it's less precise, since it's just more comfortable to hold an controller where all features are mapped to buttons that can be reached without any issues. That said, I seem to do well enough with the 360 pad against KBM users anyway, at least in modern, slow FPSes, so it doesn't seem to put me at a major disadvantage.