Toejam & Earl: Back in the Groove (Kickstarter)

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sorry if there's already a topic on this, but I didn't see one.

Anyway, Toejam and Earl are back with the original developer(s) on Kickstarter. They're aiming to make the new game in the spirit of the original.

What do you guys think?

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Goal set too high

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone tell @jeff and @drewbert, they'll fund this thing straight to the 400k they need.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Baillie

Holy fuck, that pitch video. What accent is that?!

Uh, scratch that. Was that an inside joke?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Pledged, done, go.

I love that song more than I should. And I'm pretty confident they can hit that $400k since they're already at 45.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I would bet almost anything that half the budget they are asking for is going on ridiculous, shitty swag.

Seriously, look at all the JUNK you get if you are pledging for the higher tiers? It's the mistake all rookie kickstarters make. You're going to give me a hoody and a shirt and a mug and USB stick and a photo of your mom and an IKEA chair and a spare key to your house because I pledged $100? Do you not need that money, for say, the game instead of producing a bunch of generic tat?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Not something I'm personally into, but I wish them the best of luck all the same.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deegee said:

I would bet almost anything that half the budget they are asking for is going on ridiculous, shitty swag.

Seriously, look at all the JUNK you get if you are pledging for the higher tiers? It's the mistake all rookie kickstarters make. You're going to give me a hoody and a shirt and a mug and USB stick and a photo of your mom and an IKEA chair and a spare key to your house because I pledged $100? Do you not need that money, for say, the game instead of producing a bunch of generic tat?

Shit, you're right. I didn't even notice that. I was wondering why the price was so high. But I'm curious if it will really add up to a significant amount. It DOES seem, however, that they have a good amount of high pledgers.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I remember seeing these developers tease the return of TJ and Earl a few weeks ago. Wish the best for their kickstarter and hope they reach that goal, even though the bidding goal is really high.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish them the best, but question what another TJ&E game can bring to the Hip-Hop Videogame scene in a post-Way of the Dogg world.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Good luck to them. Those videos and that song were....something. The quick insight into the sequels was neat to hear though.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That pitch video was painful to watch.

I don't have much faith in them being able to reproduce the magic that was Toejam & Earl, through no fault of their own. That game was really a product of its time. Doing the same thing now is just kind of lame.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like the first game with new art. I'm fine with just playing the first one on genesis

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By jakob187

I might finally fund a video game on Kickstarter. If I had the full amount myself, I'd hand-deliver that shit myself. Goddamn, I want this NOW!

Also, a November release date?! EVEN BETTER!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goal set too high

...and they are already over 1/4th of the way there...

deathfromace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@deegee said:

Shit, you're right. I didn't even notice that. I was wondering why the price was so high. But I'm curious if it will really add up to a significant amount. It DOES seem, however, that they have a good amount of high pledgers.

From reading their FAQ and other dev posts it sounds like they planned for that with cost of shipping and item production. I would think they get more money out of the higher tiers because all of this than they do with the 15$ ones. I could be wrong but either way I backed it and got the 250$ tier.

This is the first Kickstarter that I've seen that speaks to me and has a game I want with items I would like to have in the tiers above the one to just get the game.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

I might finally fund a video game on Kickstarter. If I had the full amount myself, I'd hand-deliver that shit myself. Goddamn, I want this NOW!

I'd take that with the biggest grain of salt ever. How many kickstarted games have delivered on time? Stuff like Broken Age and Carmageddon: Reincarnation are basically years past the release date they both had on their kickstarter pages by now :P

Definitely exciting news though!

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

@leejunfan83 said:

Goal set too high

...and they are already over 1/4th of the way there...

Yeah, didn't expect them to get that high already. Good shit.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar said:

@jakob187 said:

I'd take that with the biggest grain of salt ever. How many kickstarted games have delivered on time? Stuff like Broken Age and Carmageddon: Reincarnation are basically years past the release date they both had on their kickstarter pages by now :P

Definitely exciting news though!

Looking at the prototype stuff they showed off on the Kickstarter page...and realizing that the game will basically be that but randomly-generated levels, I would say it's a really strong chance. Even if they don't hit November, it most likely won't be long after that. Even if they pull a Shadowrun and only tack on a few months to it, then that's perfectly fine.

Never use Double Fine as an example of Kickstarter games, please. They've lost every ounce of trust from me at this point, and I have no intentions of giving them any more of my money. Between Broken Age, Massive Chalice, Spacebase DF-9, and Hack/Slash...then turning around and getting the remaster of Grim Fandango out before any of their other original IP early access games? Nah. Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish guts. Anyone honestly giving them early access or Kickstarter money at this point is a fool IMO.

With Carmageddon, that game hit early access on day and date that they gave on the Kickstarter page, and they have since opened up public access. Is the full game out? No. Is it well-liked and well-reviewed, constantly getting updated in big ways, and will see a full release when they feel it is a ready and full product? Yep.

Uberjannie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

$334,259 pledged of $400,000 goal. Only 6 days to go. They wont make it. I pledged $25, but I don't think they will make it. The goal is set too high. 400k to make this? Seriously..

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

$334,259 pledged of $400,000 goal. Only 6 days to go. They wont make it. I pledged $25, but I don't think they will make it. The goal is set too high. 400k to make this? Seriously..

They have 4 developer's listed on the kickstarter page. Let's say they each need to make 60,000 a year for a livable wage, which might be pretty low considering they are out of Berkeley, California(not sure if housing is as bad as other places in California there). Just paying those 4 employee's is 240,000. That's over half the budget on 4 people; they still have to pay for all the kickstarter rewards and a million other things needed for the games development. I am guessing the real budget for the game is closer to 600,000 or 800,000.