• 67 results
Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) 7 months, 16 days ago

Poll: Tomb Raider or Far Cry 3? (257 votes)

Tomb Raider 42%
Far Cry 3 58%

I was considering picking up either Tomb Raider or Far Cry 3 during Black Friday, and I want to limit my budget to just one of those games. I decided the best way to figure this out was to ask strangers on the internet.

Right now I'm leaning more towards Tomb Raider since I am a bit tired of FPS's right now. I have played Legends and Anniversary before and though they were okay. I did not bother to finish either though. This game does look to be very different from previous iterations though.

#1 Posted by wjb (1626 posts) -

I enjoyed both, but I probably had a much better experience with Far Cry 3, honestly.

#2 Edited by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

Tomb Raider is very different from Legends and Anniversary. I have to give Far Cry 3 my full recommendation, though. Even in a market totally saturated by first person shooters, Far Cry 3 manages to be so fucking insane that it stands out. Hang glide over an enemy encampment, jump off, wingsuit down, blitzkrieg the enemy forces with a rocket launcher only to have a nearby tiger invade the camp and kill the remaining stragglers? Yes please. (True story.)

#3 Edited by crusader8463 (14411 posts) -

I have not played all the way through Tomb Raider, but I have beaten Far Cry 3 and I think it's worth more of your time. There's a lot more game there then in TR.

#4 Posted by JJBSterling (164 posts) -

I pretty much pretended to be Kate Bishop throughout Tomb Raider and found it pretty fun but Far Cry 3 was just a lot more...fun? I'm not really how to articulate it properly, there's something about hunting around for flora and fauna to upgrade yourself that really hooked me personally.

#5 Edited by YI_Orange (1124 posts) -

I never liked Tomb Raider but thought the new one was really good. The bow is probably the best bow of the (fiscal) year. Far Cry 3 is fun, but it's open-world ass open world game. I actually haven't played after killing Vaas. The hunting stopped being fun, and while I still enjoyed clearing encampments, everything in between grew too tiresome. Vaas was easily the best thing about that game.

So, my vote would be for Tom Raider. It's a shorter, more linear experience, but I found it to be more enjoyable. Though, you'll definitely get more time out of Far Cry 3.

#6 Edited by erhard (380 posts) -

Both were great but I enjoyed Far Cry 3 more.

#7 Posted by believer258 (11565 posts) -

Both are a lot of fun but I felt pretty burnt-out on Far Cry 3 by the end of it. Tomb Raider, on the other hand, I finished it once and I've since restarted it and made it half-way through. The last half of Far Cry 3 steadily loses steam. Tomb Raider keeps picking up steam until the last level, which is a pretty good finale and a pretty good example of how to do last-minute supernatural enemies well.

Honestly, though, either one is a winner.

Another quick note - if you're not playing on a PC then definitely go for Tomb Raider. The console version of Far Cry 3 has some terrible framerate issues. If you're sensitive to framerates that continually drop below 30 and often enough stay around 20, then definitely go for Tomb Raider.

#8 Posted by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

I never liked Tomb Raider but thought the new one was really good. The bow is probably the best bow of the (fiscal) year. Far Cry 3 is fun, but it's open-world ass open world game. I actually haven't played after killing Vaas. The hunting stopped being fun, and while I still enjoyed clearing encampments, everything in between grew too tiresome. Vaas was easily the best thing about that game.

So, my vote would be for Tom Raider. It's a shorter, more linear experience, but I found it to be more enjoyable. Though, you'll definitely get more time out of Far Cry 3.

There's a pretty great friendly character that's introduced in the second half of the game. You should totally go back and try finishing it if you ever find yourself so inclined. I think it's a game better played at a measured pace, because yeah, big doses of it can pretty easily lead to being burnt out.

#9 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Tomb Raider was a much better game to me. As much as I liked FC3, I couldn't bear the absolutely horrible storyline and story missions. And since I don't like to roam around for no reason and kill dudes randomly, I didn't really find it all that compelling.

#10 Posted by coaxmetal (1569 posts) -

Hard to say. Both have fun gameplay and terrible writing. Far Cry 3's writing is far worse though, but it's fun. So probably that.

#11 Posted by Aquablak (184 posts) -

I enjoyed Tomb Raider a lot more. I can see that FC3 is a great game, but I was not able to get into it, for whatever reason.

#12 Posted by Veektarius (4541 posts) -

Tomb Raider, because in that game senselessly killing exotic animals provides marginally lower returns when it comes to upgrading your character in inexplicable ways. Not to come off as someone from PETA or anything, I just really don't enjoy that element of games.

#13 Edited by HH (595 posts) -

if you're tired of FPS's it's worth noting that Tomb Raider is particularly good when it comes to 3rd person controls and animations. also, the environment provided for you to interact with, is really detailed, and stunning.

#14 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (725 posts) -

Far Cry 3 turned to utter shit in the latter stages of the game so I'm going to say Tomb Raider, that game is a blast.

#15 Edited by Oldirtybearon (4518 posts) -

Tomb Raider is pretty thrilling throughout. I thought it was a better Uncharted than Uncharted, personally. That said, Far Cry 3 is just balls to the wall from the opening credits to when Vaas is killed. After that it loses steam before it comes roaring back most of the way through the second island. It's such an odd game, too. It really does take the theme of "insanity" and pokes and prods it from a whole variety of angles. Pretty much every plot point, side quest, or environmental narrative feeds into that central theme in some way. Then there's the ending which is pretty divisive. I personally liked it.

Not to mention it's probably the only game to handle rape with any degree of tact. The more I think about it yeah, Far Cry 3 if you want something different.

#16 Posted by GreggD (4475 posts) -

Far Cry 3. And then save 15 (or less, depending on sales) for Blood Dragon. Holy shit, what an awesome duo.

#17 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5182 posts) -

The best way to figure out anything is asking the internet. Tomb Raider was good, no clue about Far Cry 3.

#18 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2860 posts) -

Not that it really matters, but, for which platform? FC3 is really amazing on a good PC. Such a massive, cool world. Haven't played Tomb Raider, and probably won't, now that there are rumours of a next-gen port.

#19 Posted by Xanadu (267 posts) -

If you're tired of of FPS, FC3 definitely wont do anything for you. It looks nice and its a got a cool open world element but I don't think Far Cry has ever truly delivered on the "Elder Scrolls With Guns" promise.

#20 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4518 posts) -

@fredchuckdave said:

The best way to figure out anything is asking the internet. Tomb Raider was good, no clue about Far Cry 3.

Judging by what you've said of previous games, I think you'd dig it as a deconstruction of the First Person Shooter genre. It's also fun to play, which also feeds into that deconstruction. You can get it super cheap now and it's worth it, I think.

#21 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5182 posts) -

@oldirtybearon: Sounds cool, backlog is a bit hefty right now but not getting a PS4 any time soon either; so I'll probably try it out. Hopefully it doesn't go on PS+ the day after I buy it. I actually like Farcry 2 though I have yet to complete it; still cool to set up ambushes for convoys and stuff.

#22 Edited by SeanFoster (854 posts) -

I loved both but FarCry 3 lost me during the 2nd island. Tomb Raider felt better paced.

#23 Posted by HatKing (5787 posts) -

Damn, dude. You're not really going to go wrong here. Sounds like you should go for Tomb Raider since you're already leaning that way. It's also, probably, the best Tomb Raider game. Far Cry 3's narrative kind of falls to pieces in the second act, and the only incentive to keep playing is for the fun of it. Luckily, it's really fucking fun. Tomb Raider kind of nails the narrative stuff, as long as you're not against creative freedom being taken with history - I'd argue that stuff isn't really what the game is about anyway. Tomb Raider's gameplay is well executed, but kind of standard for that genre, the upgrades keep it pretty interesting though. Both are big budget action games that I played to completion, and wanted to keep going. That's coming from a guy who thought The Last of Us was uninspired and tedious, so my standards are either high or skewed.

#24 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

I like Far Cry 3 more but both are good games. Both have issues that hold them back from being great, to me. But I had fun with both.

#25 Edited by Coafi (1481 posts) -

I see how this decision is a tough one, since both games feature bows.

#26 Posted by miikelzelda (25 posts) -

Far Cry 3 is the first Crysis taken into new levels I only dreamed of. What the gameplay allows you to do was staggering, I couldn't believe what my hands were capable of and how stellar the entire package was. An absolute revelation of interaction.

Tomb Raider is a great Uncharted game with a few cool tricks, it was fun but it did not stand out in any way, and it sure as hell does not compete with FC3, not story wise, not replayability wise, and sure as shit not gameplay wise.

#27 Posted by Scrawnto (2433 posts) -

Tomb Raider held my attention long enough for me to beat it, whereas FC3 did not. They're both good games, though.

For what it's worth, I haven't played any of the Uncharted games, so I had played a lot less of that sort of game than FPS games.

#28 Posted by m4r71n2012 (39 posts) -

Far cry 3 definitely has a longer story it's just gets a bit boring towards the end, i found doing all the outposts and wanted dead missions fun though so that makes the game longer. Tomb raider's story is stronger in my opinion but i felt like all the collectibles stuff was fluff and filler. i'd probably say Far cry 3 was a better game for me, the customisation of weapons and the stealth mechanics were good. Both have hunting in them but Far cry 3 made it actually have a point, and it was more fun as opposed to collecting "scrap" like in Tomb raider

#29 Edited by GreggD (4475 posts) -

@xanadu said:

If you're tired of of FPS, FC3 definitely wont do anything for you. It looks nice and its a got a cool open world element but I don't think Far Cry has ever truly delivered on the "Elder Scrolls With Guns" promise.

Was that ever the intent, though?

#30 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4577 posts) -

I pretty much pretended to be Kate Bishop throughout Tomb Raider

Ah, but Far Cry let's you pretend to be Oliver Queen.

#31 Posted by OLph (18 posts) -

I liked them both but Far Cry 3 got my vote, I had slightly more fun with that one.

#32 Edited by GaspoweR (2754 posts) -

@greggd said:

@xanadu said:

Was that ever the intent, though?

Yeah, I think it did become a part of the marketing but that was a quote that was taken from a preview/review of the game and it wasn't something that the developers mentioned themselves when describing the game initially.

I also voted for Far Cry 3 but Tomb Raider is also pretty great. Can't go wrong with either one.

#33 Posted by UlquioKani (1018 posts) -

I love both. Far Cry will get you more for your money but if you are looking for a good story, Tomb raider is your best bet. They both have equally good combat. Both multiplayer experiences are pretty forgettable.

This is harder choice to make than I thought it would be. I voted for Far Cry because if you are trying to save money, you probably want the most game for your money.

#34 Posted by Superfriend (1521 posts) -

Far Cry. It´s the better game. Tomb Raider is pretty good, but it never goes as far as it could have with the open world segments.

It feels like a competent Uncharted clone, with far FAR more annoying characters

#35 Posted by Guesty_01 (339 posts) -

Definatly Far Cry 3. Although the final 1/3 is a slight drag, the first 2/3 are absolutly brilliant

Tomb Raider lost me with its silly plot. They tried so had to portray Lara as a real person for it all to fall flat on its face at the end.

#36 Edited by Yummylee (21208 posts) -

I only played about an hour of Far Cry 3 before the abysmal framerate on PS3 forced me to retire it early, so I would by default recommend Tomb Raider instead. Though that game certainly has its share of problems, primarily related to the awful writing and how its gritty story rarely fits in alongside the gameplay, but it's still a really fun time throughout.

#37 Posted by Blommer4 (191 posts) -

Far Cry 3 still stands as one of the coolest and funniest game I've played in the later years. I went into it not knowing ANYTHING at all, therefore the smallest little things amazed me. By god, if I could go back to experience a game fresh again, Far Cry 3 is REALLY high up that list.

Tomb Raider I didn't enjoy that much. Got pretty bored by it when nearing the end, hence I stopped playing and never completed it.

So yeah, Far Cry 3 IMO, even if it's another FPS.

#38 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

Far Cry 3 isn't a good game. Haven't played Tomb Raider.

#39 Posted by MonetaryDread (1987 posts) -

Your choice really depends on a few things:

1. I prefered the experience of Tomb Raider to the experience of Far Cry 3, but Tomb Raider only lasted me around 8 hours before I was done with it. For comparison, I put a little over twenty hours into Far Cry.
  2. If you are planning to purchase on a console, be warned that Far Cry 3 has one of the worst frame rate problems I have ever seen. I swear that game is running at 24fps most of the time on 360. I played through the game on PC, and when I sat down to watch my roommate play the game on 360 the experience was unbearable to me. That game should not have been released like that on consoles. Tomb Raider though, that game runs flawlessly on consoles.
  3. Both games are basically just shooters, but Tomb Raider has some extra exploration and jumping sections that you do not find in Far Cry. Yet Far Cry has a focus on stealth that is not present in Tomb Raider.

#40 Edited by Yesiamaduck (888 posts) -

I a few months ago my brain would've said 'Far Cry 3, easy'

But I replayed Tomb Raider recently and it's a fantastically paced campaign that never drags, Far Cry 3 ends like 10 hours too late.

#41 Posted by mirrored (3 posts) -

I loved both but for pure time value, I'd have to give it to FC3. You should definitely pick up Tomb Raider later on though.

#42 Posted by Iodine (540 posts) -

Look, Tomb Raider was fun and all, but nothing it did could touch the opening of FC3.

While the story does slow down after a while, sometimes a tiger will just appear, ruin all your plans, and you cant do anything but laugh

#43 Posted by McLargepants (354 posts) -

I think Tomb Raider is pretty awesome all the way through, and is super fun. Far Cry 3 peaks early, and is largely stupid. But it is fun to play too. It's tough, but I'll give it to Tomb Raider because I like third person games more.

#44 Posted by Milkman (16484 posts) -

That's tough since I enjoyed both games quite a bit. I think Far Cry is the better value proposition, if you care about that sort of thing.

#45 Posted by Bulby33 (545 posts) -

I enjoyed Tomb Raider a lot more than Far Cry 3, personally.

#46 Edited by LiquidPrince (15836 posts) -

Tomb Raider.

#47 Posted by steelerzfan101 (270 posts) -

Far Cry 3 had a better lasting impression on me. Tomb Raider was alright though.

Far Cry 3 is the hands-down favorite for me.

#48 Posted by DonutFever (3549 posts) -

Far Cry 3 has amazing combat and an amazing world to explore.

#49 Posted by VeggiesBro (117 posts) -

I enjoyed both, but like others I really feel I got more out of Far Cry 3.

#50 Posted by Korwin (2813 posts) -

Different games, I would say over all Tomb Raider is a more cohesive experience.