Tony Hawk Franchise : Past & Future

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By TrashMustache

I personally feel that the first four tony hawk games were brilliant and that Project 8 was the only one after that m that made me cheer again.

Underground 1 and 2, Wasteland and Proving Ground never lacked originality but lacked soul. Do you think it's for the best that Robomoto is taking over to make the tenth tony hawk game?

I expected something huge in every aspect, and at first I thought only activision could revamp the series, but maybe it's those other guys who will do the trick. All i'm saying is I don't want proving ground to be the last, they should end with a loud fucking bang, impose themselves like they did in the old days,  but I have mixed feelings about the whole " you wont be playing it with a controller " thing.

What's your favourite tony hawk game?

Mine : 2 and 4

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Dude, I'm really upset with what we've learned about the new Tony Hawk. I've been playing them since THPS1 and own all the major games (except Proving Ground because honestly it was unacceptable garbage). I have no idea who Robomoto is, but the truth is, I still want Neversoft to make the games. What has killed the series is that they've been putting out at least 1 game every year for the last ten years. Over the last few years, there have been regularly 2 games per year. When you're pumping out the games that quickly for such a long period of time, no doubt you're gonna run out of steam and ideas. They've milked the series for far too long and it's finally totally caught up with them. I have to agree about Project 8 being great. It was way better than I expected, and although it lacked a true create-a-park and featured a totally limited create-a-character mode, it made some smart additions to the series and built on the gameplay a bit. However, I gotta disagree with you on Tony Hawk's Underground. I think it's definitely one of the best games in the series. I really enjoyed the career mode, the missions, and most importantly, the level design. Whereas I kinda thought THPS4 was quite a stepdown from the previous three, but was still pretty solid overall. Tony Hawk's Underground 2 had the potential to really add some flavor with the whole Viva La Bam twist, but failed pretty miserably in that regard and just had all kinds of dumb decisions, you know... like Shrek.

Anyway, now that Skate has come out, I'm sure Activision is really kicking themselves and feel like they gotta totally innovate the series. As far as innovating goes, I don't necessarily disagree with that, but dude, if we're gonna be using Wii Fits or other similar board controllers, I think I may just have to pass. Read Giantbomb's review of Skate It on Wii, and you'll see that this board controller is probably only going to hurt the game. They need to tone the series down. Over the years, they've just collectively piled on more and more moves, to the point where I imagine the learning curve for beginners is outrageous. In Proving Ground, it reached a point where missions literally seemed impossible because they wanted you to do so much at once, not to mention Proving Ground foolishly put the entire game into super turbo mode, making the problem even worse. It kills me that Activision had the rights to the X-Games and used it with MTX Mototrax featuring Travis Pastrana, however, they totally denied the Tony Hawk series from getting the same treatment. They could have been doing Big Air years before Skate was even announced, which would have required them to tone down the ridiculous gameplay a bit to keep it from being stupid. Not that I'm saying I want the Tony Hawk series to go the route of Skate, but a little more realism would be appreciated. Heck, dude, in the last few games you can do double backflips and barrel rolls repeatedly in a single combo. They totally took it too far.

Personally, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 is my favorite Tony Hawk game. It's probably my third favorite game of all time, I think it is basically absolute perfection. I actually got 100% completion in the game twice, which is no short task to do even once, let alone twice. So yeah, I played the heck out of that game. I'd probably rank the series something like this:
THPS3 > THPS2 > THUG > THP8 > THPS1 > THPS4 > THAW > THUG2 > THPG
I do wish the Tony Hawk series could at least go out with a bang, but I think the path it's heading down definitely is just going to make things worse. Maybe it's a bit too early to assume so much, but I'm not really interested in standing on a board to play the game. If the Wii has proven anything, it's that traditional controllers are still the way to go.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ZenaxPure

I have not played a Tony Hawk game since #3, I admit I really should though since some of the later ones interested me. I tried out Skate a couple of times but I did not like it very much - can't say I was a fan of the controls at all.

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TrashMustache

exactly, after all those games they can't expect us to play it with motion sensors, i'm not liking that at all,  and yes maybe i'm overreacting with underground, it had great secret skaters as well, which to me is also something that went downhill, i mean Travis Barker, why is that a secret skater? we went from Spiderman, Darth Maul to A guy in a suit and some guy called El Patadinor, waaw.  the thing in Underground is that to me it had boring levels and very poor goals, like the vehicle stuff and having to get to a certain point in time, i dunno. And Bam needs less creative decisions :p.  That's why i love THPS4 so much, Alcatraz and The Zoo, it's just so brilliant. but I do have to say that i mix THUG and THUG 2 alot, maybe it's THUG 2 that really sucked, right now i think they both sucked, but maybe i should play them again.

for the tenth game I'd love to have this thing like euhm let's say every level from THPS to THPS4 and the special ones in the later installments, about a 1000 goals, secret skaters like "The Dude" and "Jesus" :p and toned down indeed...but yeah fuck the Wi stick type shit

THPS2 > THPS4 > THPS1 > THP8 > THPS3 > THUG > THAW > THUG2 > THPG

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Well, THUG1 did have some vehicle missions, but only a few and they were pretty easy anyway and didn't really play much of a factor in the game. Nothing more than a decent little diversion. I think it got pretty lame in THUG2 when they had stuff like Steve-O on a mechanical bull. Speaking of the skaters, yeah, have you noticed over the years how many pros the series has lost? They have totally dropped like flies. I think Tony Hawk, Mike Vallely, and Rodney Mullen are like the only main dudes left that have been with the series for a more than a few games. The secret characters in the series definitely became awful. I thought they reached an all-time low with THUG2, but THAW's were real lousy too.

Haha, every level from THPS to THPS4, eh? I don't know. I'd be more inclined to agree except for the fact that nearly every single one of those levels has been remade as secret levels in later Tony Hawk games, and also... a lot of them sure have not held up so well. Some of the THPS1 levels, for instance, seem pretty awful now. This is the first year the Tony Hawk series has taken a year off, so I had been assuming that Neversoft was going back to the drawing board to really put some effort into the next game, but instead we get a lousy board peripheral concept from a developer I've never heard of. This could be the end.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'd probably write something hefty about the Tony Hawk's games were I not feeling so grim after a dodgy pizza, but the series was in such a slump between THPS4 and THP8 and it seems like Neversoft are the opnly ones not to notice that people want good skating levels far more than they want stupid gimmicks and poor attempts at Jackass humour.

My order of greatness. I haven't played the latest, but it didn't sound too good.:

THPS4 > THPS3 > THP8 > THPS2 > T.H.U.G. 2 > THS > T.H.U.G. > T.H.A.W.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Absurd

I actually liked everything from THUG and before.After that I never bothered trying them.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By fr0br0

THPS2 and THPS3 were always my favorite. They just bring so much nostalgia.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Drebin_893

T.H.P.S. 4 > T.H.P.S. 3 > T.H.U.G. > T.H.P.S. 2 > T.H.P.S. > T.H.P.8 > T.H.A.W. > T.H.U.G. 2 > T.H.P.G.

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TrashMustache

I just love the feeling of having levels, ofcourse i don't mind the no loading stuff but i do like the feeling that you are entering a new level,  Proving Ground doesn't feel like that at all, well i guess we all agree Proving Ground sucks :p