#1 Posted by Basm321 (125 posts) -

I love fighting games in a recreational sense and would like to become more proficient at them. I mostly play when friends are ove and would therefore need to purchase 2 fight sticks to prevent an imbalance. I am currently using standard Xbox controllers. I have been thinking about purchasing some fight sticks for about a year, but with the next generation coming soon I am not sure if the investment is warranted without a gaurentee that they will be comparable with the new systems, especially if I switch back to Sony's platform

#2 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4673 posts) -

Know that playing on a stick will not make you better at fighting games as a whole. Just allow easier execution plus they are fun to use.

#3 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Arcade sticks aren't even that expensive for it to really be a concern any way, and as it's unlikely the Xbox will have backwards compat, where else will you get to play Marvel 3?

Anyway if you are thinking an arcade stick will create an imbalance you are kinda wrong, it's pretty much purely preference as there's a lot of high level tournament players that play on pads, especially on Tekken which is pad dominant. I switch between my arcade stick for console MvC3 and Vita MvC3 and can do most of the same combos just fine, some are a tad more awkward because it's hard to press buttons directly opposite one another at the same time on the Vita.

It's possible PS3 sticks will work on the PS4 but I won't be too bothered if they don't as it's probably gonna be a while before any significant new fighting games hit the systems.

#4 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -

Pick them up second hand. Plenty of people out there bought fightsticks and never used them (like me).

#5 Edited by IrrelevantJohn (1017 posts) -

@sooty said:

Arcade sticks aren't even that expensive for it to really be a concern any way, and as it's unlikely the Xbox will have backwards compat, where else will you get to play Marvel 3?

Anyway if you are thinking an arcade stick will create an imbalance you are kinda wrong, it's pretty much purely preference as there's a lot of high level tournament players that play on pads, especially on Tekken which is pad dominant. I switch between my arcade stick for console MvC3 and Vita MvC3 and can do most of the same combos just fine, some are a tad more awkward because it's hard to press buttons directly opposite one another at the same time on the Vita.

It's possible PS3 sticks will work on the PS4 but I won't be too bothered if they don't as it's probably gonna be a while before any significant new fighting games hit the systems.

I agree with everything Sooty just said and if you have been thinking about getting an arcade stick for about a year now, just do it already. There are so many fighting games out that are on the 360/PS3 so buying a stick now would make perfect sense. Even if the next generation of console don't support the fight stick, it could take awhile before a real decent fighting game to come out next gen.

Just get a Brawlstick and mod it, since that will be the cheapest option (in case you quit using it).

#6 Posted by MeganeAgain (123 posts) -

Pretty much every fighting game this generation besides Street Fighter IV is pad friendly. I only say this about SFIV because that game is very strict with link timings. Double tapping and plinking help a lot in SFIV, and those two techniques can really only be done on an arcade stick. Still, if your execution is decent enough, you can definitely play SFIV on pad. Wolfkrone is an SFIV pad player who is considered to be one of the United States' strongest. Also, note that he plays one of the most execution heavy characters in the game, Crimson Viper.

But for the most part, an arcade stick won't put you at an advantage over pad players, or turn you into a better player. If you're going to buy an arcade stick, buy one because you genuinely want to learn how to play on an arcade stick. Know that when you're able to play on an arcade stick, you'll be able to play on arcade cabinets, and you won't have to adapt to the 360 or PS3 controllers every time you switch consoles.