#1 Posted by PlipO (141 posts) -

I wonder if the developers of GTA have ever considered ditching the over used mechanism of bridges to link the various islands in their games.

My objection to bridges is not a general idiosyncrasy, only specific to GTA.

I enjoyed GTA 3 and the bridges did not bother me. Vice City was great, it captured the pastiche of 80’s brilliantly and the reason for the bridges being closed to the player in the first part of the game – seemed to make sense. Not contrived.

In GTA IV, I quickly got annoyed with this mundane means of traversing from one Island to another.

The bridges were packed with cops yet I could easily in broad daylight, murder someone in the street and not be pursued by a single law enforcer.

The bigger problem with bridges (in the real world) is that when people are prohibited from going to a specific place they usually find others means to get there. In relation to GTA, such prohibition would cause people smugglers to make a pretty penny but for whatever reason – this does not occur. Maybe this is one transgression believed to be beyond the pale, by the low lives that populate GTA worlds.

From my perspective the best thing about the bridges in GTA IV, were jumping them and having some fun with the cops chasing me down to a gruesome end.

I guess my perception is that – bridges have worked well in previous GTA games but they now represent for me – a lack of imagination on the part of the developers.

Why not have a GTA without bridges? This would eliminate the need to shoehorn into the plot, a clunky reason for the bridge not being open to the player at the start of the game.

If the Developers are dead set on having bridges in their games then maybe all the bridges should be open from the start of the game and the progression of the story should be structured in some other plausible way.

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3487 posts) -

#3 Edited by Demoskinos (14520 posts) -

Im always bothered by the fact that most GTA styled open world games essentially take place on an island disconnected from any other landmasses. Its just weird.

#4 Posted by Pr1mus (3779 posts) -

Bridges aren't the problem. Open world games restricting exploration are. If you make an open world game then let me explore it whenever and however i want!

#5 Posted by UlquioKani (1018 posts) -

It's never really bothered me.

#6 Edited by DeathByWaffle (628 posts) -

@demoskinos: Never reallly thought about that before, but I'm not sure what the alternative is. Wouldn't there just have to be invisible walls otherwise?

#7 Edited by Pr1mus (3779 posts) -

@demoskinos: Never reallly thought about that before, but I'm not sure what the alternative is. Wouldn't there just have to be invisible walls otherwise?

The whole planet at a 1:1 scale. It's the only acceptable answer!

#8 Posted by MikkaQ (10264 posts) -

@pr1mus said:
@deathbywaffle said:

The whole planet at a 1:1 scale. It's the only acceptable answer!

Man what if open world games were big enough to wrap around themselves and not look deformed? That would be awesome!

#9 Edited by Animasta (14637 posts) -

Im always bothered by the fact that most GTA styled open world games essentially take place on an island disconnected from any other landmasses. Its just weird.

this was why Just Cause 2 was so awesome in that it was as big and was an entire island country unto itself.

unless rockstar comes out and says all of America is an island country in the rockstariverse that is!

#10 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5182 posts) -

@pr1mus: Daggerfall is as big as Britain