Too many games to play?

BoomMemedYa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BoomMemedYa

So recently I feel like I have too many games too play and haven't finished all that many that I do have. I like to usually just okay whatever I'm feeling but it kinda bugs me that I have all these games that are unconpleted. I was wondering if I should go about taking these games in any way?

Roger Wilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Roger Wilco

This is called "Backlog Syndrome." It is an increasingly common problem as games become easier and cheaper to acquire. I'm a game collector. No matter how bad your backlog syndrome has become, I can assure you that mine is exponentially worse.

And with things like Steam sales, Good-Old-Games, PS+ freebies, and the like it is only going to get worse and worse as time wears on. You can either try to throttle back on the influx of content, or you can just accept the fact that you will never truly be able to get around to playing all of the games that you have access to. I had to make peace with that fact years ago.

Honestly, tackle your backlog in whatever manner is comfortable for you. When I need a break from some of my more intensive hobbies, I usually fire up a smaller, indie game title. But these days, I never force myself to finish any games.

Colony024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well ask yourself this: why didn't I complete them? Did you simply get bored with them? If so, then why bother going back to them, they'll most likely still be boring to you. But perhaps there's another reason, maybe time constraints, or a difficulty spike you couldn't overcome, in which case yeah maybe you should find some time to try and tackle them again. Either way, I don't think asking random people online whether or not you should go back and complete your games will result in much; you probably already know which games you want to give another shot.

Having said that, there are plenty of games I own, started, but never finished. Oftentimes the time I do spend with a game will feel suficient, and I feel like I got my money's worth, despite not reaching the actual end.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Haven't you heard? There aren't any new games. Keep up with the whining of the week, "I have a big pile of shame" is so 2013.

Anyway, hey, as others are saying, don't worry. Games are longer and longer these days, many are built for replayability and they're also cheaper than ever. It's getting to the point where I don't feel any more of a moral imperative to finish a game I start than to keep watching a TV show. If it's not what I feel like doing in the moment, I can stop at any time. Sometimes I stop playing something not because I hate it but because I'm busy and something newer comes along, and I also don't mind doing that. If I really want to keep going with a game I'll get to it.

I almost feel like more devs should acknowledge this is just how we play now and start designing for it. Kill all padding and build in different breaking points for people to leave at a satisfying point if they want to. Say what you will about Destiny's grindy endgame, I got to the end of the story on that, never touched it again and felt I had spent 20 decent hours and didn't need to keep going.

BoxxyBae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My backlog is mostly due to Humble Bundle extra games. So its not so much a backlog as it is a bunch of games I got in addition to the one/two I actually wanted. But I should play them.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Stop buying games!

Actually that's one of the issues plaguing most people in-between having disposable income and no real responsibilities with the money. Enjoy it while it lasts man, I was probably in the same situation not to long ago till I decided to buy a car.