Too many trilogies?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Why is it that all games nowadays come in trilogies? Mass Effect is a trilogy, Bioshock is a trilogy, Halo is a trilogy (for all we know), KOTOR will probably end up being a trilogy...

Why so many trilogies?

Fosssil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Fosssil

Because all of those trilogies you mentioned are made up of great games, and people are willing to pay for more sequels.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Fosssil said:
"Because all of those trilogies you mentioned are made up of great games, and people are willing to pay for more sequels?"
But why always trilogies? And all of those, excluding KOTOR, were basically ANNOUNCED as trilogies.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Mrnitropb

Too human is one as well, and before you say it, the sequal is Too Human; Rise of the Giants, with an as yet unnamed third. And God of War 3, and Resistance, iirc is planed as a trilogy.

Original IPs are somewhat risky for publishers, so if a developer can present enough planning and thought into an idea tto flesh it out into at least a two parter, but almost never more than 4, it allows them to in theory have an initial big lump of development VC money, and then using the established engines and archetexture, models et al to build from for a reduced dev turnoaround for future releases, and more moneies for teh publisher.

pyromaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By pyromaniac

It is just a facade..a gimmick if you might to get the gamers to shell out more money and milk the product.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Mrnitropb said:
"Too human is one as well, and before you say it, the sequal is Too Human; Rise of the Giants, with an as yet unnamed third. And God of War 3, and Resistance, iirc is planed as a trilogy.

Original IPs are somewhat risky for publishers, so if a developer can present enough planning and thought into an idea tto flesh it out into at least a two parter, but almost never more than 4, it allows them to in theory have an initial big lump of development VC money, and then using the established engines and archetexture, models et al to build from for a reduced dev turnoaround for future releases, and more moneies for teh publisher."
Damn, you listed more than me!

I hate how new IPs are risky. The same old is pretty boring. I'm still mulling over if I'm getting Gears of War 2 or not.
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Mrnitropb
Arkthemaniac said:
" Damn, you listed more than me!

I hate how new IPs are risky. The same old is pretty boring. I'm still mulling over if I'm getting Gears of War 2 or not."
One reason to get it
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Mrnitropb said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
" Damn, you listed more than me!

I hate how new IPs are risky. The same old is pretty boring. I'm still mulling over if I'm getting Gears of War 2 or not."
One reason to get it"
That is pretty great......now I want it less...
Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mrnitropb

Its does kind of show how a planed trilogy of OMGWTFBBQ games can be like Daffy ducks Explosivo Trick, sure its great the first tiem, but what can you do to wow the crowds the next time?

"Alright in GOW, we had the chainsaw guns, the big monster to fight, and a train." Well this time, we'll remove the stylised graphic filter form teh chainsawsoring, and give enemies chainsaws too, and let you RIDe the big monsters, and ride ANOTEHR train." its'll be sweet!

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Mrnitropb said:
"Its does kind of show how a planed trilogy of OMGWTFBBQ games can be like Daffy ducks Explosivo Trick, sure its great the first tiem, but what can you do to wow the crowds the next time?

"Alright in GOW, we had the chainsaw guns, the big monster to fight, and a train." Well this time, we'll remove the stylised graphic filter form teh chainsawsoring, and give enemies chainsaws too, and let you RIDe the big monsters, and ride ANOTEHR train." its'll be sweet!"
They should have put in a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning.

O wait...
xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By xxNBxx
Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Bennyishere

I think it's because most developers want to do something new after their third game, so they set a goal instead of promising too much. Also, three has been a magic number in most mediums and is sort of a magic number.

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Termite

Because developers like to make an original IP, and then milk it. And since people like the number 3 so much..why not?

I know, it's terrible. But that's capitalism for ya

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

What is your point? If a game is good then they come out with a sequel, why would they need to start a new IP when they have already built a universe for one? This is a stupid thing to complain about, really.