Top 10 Favorites

Ender445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Ender445

No, I won't be doing a top 30, and no, I will not being writing a wall of text explaining each entry. However, I'm bored, and this is a great way to pass the time. I will not include multiplayer games, so games like Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 will not be featured. I'll just do a little mini review for each entry, I guess. Be aware of spoilers. I would also like to apologize for bad grammar, it's not my strong point.

10. Resident Evil 5

The Resident Evil series is intense as ever.
Resident Evil 5 is one of the most satisfying and enjoyable games I've ever played. It would be slightly higher on this list, but horrible partner AI and interface issues, along with a couple other nit picks involving the inventory system prevent it from being up there with it's older brother. However, that doesn't change the fact that Resident Evil 5 is one of the most intense and satisfying games ever made.

The attache case from Resident Evil 4 is gone, replaced by a real time inventory space that takes place in real time. Every item takes up 1 slot, so you have to be very efficient with your items and weapons, making for some frustrating moments where you'll have to discard an item, or just trade around with your partner. The story mode is a measly 12 hours on the first play through, but damn, are those 12 hours good. While I would prefer the game to have a slightly higher emphasis on horror, it's still great white-knuckle action. It's a constant adrenaline rush, especially while playing co-op with a friend where you have to cover each others backs and provide your partner with healing items and ammo. The ability to trade weapons with your online partner also seems to be missing, which is too bad.

The game definitely has a focus on action, but there are some scares. There was one moment where my friend and I were about to go into this relatively large body of water, and having seen some pre-release screenshots, we had an idea of what was coming. "Shit, man, alligator time." We started to slowly make our way to the other side, then my friend noticed a gator pop up not even 20 feet to our side. "There it is!" then I noticed another one pop up in another direction. "Oh my god, there's like five of them." I was practically pissing myself. One of gamings finest moments. Moments like this are scattered throughout the game, at one point later in the game, I kicked open a door to be met with a pool of blood and massive slash marks in the walls. Needless to say, the tension was high, and it only got higher in the following minutes. The game hasn't got that constant unsettling feeling that the earlier games in the series had, but it's still there in short bursts.

Now, back onto the subject of the inventory, and the games weapons and items in general. There are around 15 weapons in Resident Evil 5, and they're all surprisingly balanced. The most powerful magnum in the game has extremely slow reload and firing rate, there are two primary pistols in the game, one with high capacity and reload speed, and one with more raw firepower, one of the shot guns has insane close range power, while the other has some pretty incredible range, but less firepower. Even the seemingly useless and weak weapons have their uses. The first pistol you find in the game has the ability to pop heads very frequently once you put a bit of money into upgrading it. There are just a lot of guns, and a lot of upgrades to get for them, it really adds to the replay value.

Upon beating the game, you'll unlock The Mercenaries, which was featured in Resident Evil 4, and has now been improved upon with Resident Evil 5. You get 4 separate characters, each with two to three alternate costumes, each featuring a different set of weapons, so they all play reasonably different. The idea of Mercenaries is to run around gathering time bonuses and killing lots, and lots of enemies. You'll probably kill between 70-100 enemies in around 7 minutes. In order to get more points, you need to keep a chain of kills going, which provides for moments of "shit, I have to find guys to kill, but I'm low on health and ammo." Mercenaries is the one bit in RE5 where I really felt like I was in deep shit, and it's absolutely amazing. Oh, and Mercenaries can be played in co-op. Which makes it even more fun.

So, yeah, overall Resident Evil 5 absolutely deserves to be in my top 10. It is, plain and simple, one of the most enjoyable video games I've ever played.

Well, shit. I guess I will do a wall of text. Got carried away I suppose. Since that took so long, I'm going to have to finish this up later. Expect another entry from me sometime tonight.
Ender445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ender445

No, I won't be doing a top 30, and no, I will not being writing a wall of text explaining each entry. However, I'm bored, and this is a great way to pass the time. I will not include multiplayer games, so games like Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3 will not be featured. I'll just do a little mini review for each entry, I guess. Be aware of spoilers. I would also like to apologize for bad grammar, it's not my strong point.

10. Resident Evil 5

Resident Evil 5 is one of the most satisfying and enjoyable games I've ever played. It would be slightly higher on this list, but horrible partner AI and interface issues, along with a couple other nit picks involving the inventory system prevent it from being up there with it's older brother. However, that doesn't change the fact that Resident Evil 5 is one of the most intense and satisfying games ever made.

The attache case from Resident Evil 4 is gone, replaced by a real time inventory space that takes place in real time. Every item takes up 1 slot, so you have to be very efficient with your items and weapons, making for some frustrating moments where you'll have to discard an item, or just trade around with your partner. The story mode is a measly 12 hours on the first play through, but damn, are those 12 hours good. While I would prefer the game to have a slightly higher emphasis on horror, it's still great white-knuckle action. It's a constant adrenaline rush, especially while playing co-op with a friend where you have to cover each others backs and provide your partner with healing items and ammo. The ability to trade weapons with your online partner also seems to be missing, which is too bad.

The game definitely has a focus on action, but there are some scares. There was one moment where my friend and I were about to go into this relatively large body of water, and having seen some pre-release screenshots, we had an idea of what was coming. "Shit, man, alligator time." We started to slowly make our way to the other side, then my friend noticed a gator pop up not even 20 feet to our side. "There it is!" then I noticed another one pop up in another direction. "Oh my god, there's like five of them." I was practically pissing myself. One of gamings finest moments. Moments like this are scattered throughout the game, at one point later in the game, I kicked open a door to be met with a pool of blood and massive slash marks in the walls. Needless to say, the tension was high, and it only got higher in the following minutes. The game hasn't got that constant unsettling feeling that the earlier games in the series had, but it's still there in short bursts.

Now, back onto the subject of the inventory, and the games weapons and items in general. There are around 15 weapons in Resident Evil 5, and they're all surprisingly balanced. The most powerful magnum in the game has extremely slow reload and firing rate, there are two primary pistols in the game, one with high capacity and reload speed, and one with more raw firepower, one of the shot guns has insane close range power, while the other has some pretty incredible range, but less firepower. Even the seemingly useless and weak weapons have their uses. The first pistol you find in the game has the ability to pop heads very frequently once you put a bit of money into upgrading it. There are just a lot of guns, and a lot of upgrades to get for them, it really adds to the replay value.

Upon beating the game, you'll unlock The Mercenaries, which was featured in Resident Evil 4, and has now been improved upon with Resident Evil 5. You get 4 separate characters, each with two to three alternate costumes, each featuring a different set of weapons, so they all play reasonably different. The idea of Mercenaries is to run around gathering time bonuses and killing lots, and lots of enemies. You'll probably kill between 70-100 enemies in around 7 minutes. In order to get more points, you need to keep a chain of kills going, which provides for moments of "shit, I have to find guys to kill, but I'm low on health and ammo." Mercenaries is the one bit in RE5 where I really felt like I was in deep shit, and it's absolutely amazing. Oh, and Mercenaries can be played in co-op. Which makes it even more fun.

So, yeah, overall Resident Evil 5 absolutely deserves to be in my top 10. It is, plain and simple, one of the most enjoyable video games I've ever played.

Well, shit. I guess I will do a wall of text. Got carried away I suppose. Since that took so long, I'm going to have to finish this up later. Expect another entry from me sometime tonight.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Mushir

Man, people sure like writing lists these days.

Ender445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ender445

Yeah, I was inspired by all the other people doing so.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By maxszy

I like lists, so go all for it. Lists are in at the moment!

As for this 10th position choice, it worries me. Only because RE5 JUST came out. Even though I feel it is also a splendid game, I don't think you can accurately judge how much you love a game until it has been out for a fairly decent amount of time. I would argue that games on a "Top Games List" would need to stand the test of time and you would most always be able to go back at a later date and play it while still immensely enjoying it. One can not make that distinction yet, so I would say RE5 should not be included. Not at this present time anyway.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I'm not sure I would put RE5 in my top 10 favorite games, but you seem to be a fan of the series so I can see why you'd choose it.

Ender445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ender445

I've spent a pretty good amount of time with RE5. Around 60 hours.

Anyways, working on the next entry now.