Top 10 game universes

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By killr0y

By game universes, I mean look at the game WITHOUT the gameplay mechanics or storyline. Try to look at it purely from a Virtual Reality perspective, and which worlds feel the most realized, complete, and aesthetically pleasing.

• Fallout
  • Mass Effect
  • Red Dead
  • Borderlands
  • Rage
  • Gears of War
  • Dead Space
  • Half-Life
  • Bioshock
  • Condemned

Those are my top 10 (not ordered)

EDIT: Also if a game world has had such an impact on you where it made you want to do something you otherwise normally wouldn't have done (i.e. Skyrim got me into mead making) like Bioshock making you want to visit an aquarium, Borderlands getting you into comic books, or Condemed getting you into beating hobos with a steel pipe, I want to hear about that!

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Elder Scrolls

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

You could make a list, you know.

EDIT: Not like this, I mean a list that goes here.

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By killr0y

@TheCreamFilling said:

Elder Scrolls

Definitely a great one, and I own all the games in the series... I just think about not having toilets or bathtubs in that game, and the giant spiders, and I would just not rather live in that kind of environment. Then again, playing Skyrim actually resulted in me making my own mead, and I'd go into pubs and drink mead in the game while emulating it at home. Damned immersive if you ask me!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm not putting 10, nor am I ordering them, just listing a bunch that I like:

• Zeno Clash
  • Bioshock
  • Fallout
  • Septerra Core
  • Oddworld
  • Grim Fandango
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Fallout.

/thread

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Hizang

Noby Noby Boy/thread.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Rage? really? And you have it in the same list as Borderlands? really?

My answer is The Witcher. Maybe Mass Effect, if the characters weren't so dull.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By BabyChooChoo
Darkstalkers
Darkstalkers
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

I said said:

• Mass Effect
  • Red Dead
  • Gears of War
  • Dead Space
  • Half-Life
  • Bioshock
  • Alan Wake
  • Halo

There are probably more as well. If I had to put those in a category from favorite to least favorite of the favorites, I'd have to say.

1. Dead Space, Bioshock, Half Life
  2. Mass Effect, Halo
  3. Alan Wake, Red Dead
  4. Gears of War

Oh, and I really love Shadow Moses. I don't know, there are a lot of great ones.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By HH

If i had to pick an overall favorite design it would be the Tower of Latria from Demon's Souls, but no way I would actually want to be there outside of a game.

A game-world I would gladly move to... Elder Scrolls' Tamriel, also I loved the world in Viking: Battle for Asgard.

I did briefly look into herbalism as a hobby after picking nine million flowers in Oblivion, but that shit is locked down tight, it's basically pharmacology, which you need degrees and a license to practice, and there are laws against doing it for fun.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Rowr

This is like some xbox greatest hits of the last 5 years shit right here...

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Baillie
  • Metal Gear
  • Mass Effect
  • Red Dead
  • Bioshock
  • Aperture
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Arkham
  • Mafia
  • Splinter Cell
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Animasta

Shin Megami Tensei Multiverse.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LikeaSsur

I may be missing something here, but the Fallout, Mass Effect, Red Dead, Dead Space, and Condemned universes are all....well, ours. Maybe the Fallout universe is a bit more fantasy, since there hasn't been a nuclear apocalypse (yet), but the rest of the list is either reality or has the possibility to become reality. So why pick a universe that's almost exactly like ours?

I would go for Azeroth or Thedas, or any Final Fantasy world. A world where magic is real and either co-exists or replaces technology. Monsters are a real threat, towns and cities have clear borders and walls to protect the people. You know, fantasy stuff. Stuff that isn't regular to this reality.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Iodine

@Animasta said:

Shin Megami Tensei Multiverse.

Mara approves.

Anyway, a lot of my favorites have already been said, so some other ones (also fuck lists having to end at 5, or 10, or 25, etc)

I will always love the "logic" that is used in the Pokemon universe. Just so fucked that it becomes awesome.

Metro's

Bastion

Starcraft

Xcom

Red Alert

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BraveToaster

Mass Effect

Elder Scrolls

Borderlands

Bioshock

Dragon Age

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187
  1. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - The overall world had a great dark and gothic feel to it, and every monument and craggy mountain felt like it belonged in that world.
  2. Alan Wake - It features some of the densest atmosphere I've ever seen. Beyond that, it grounds all of its characters, locations, and supernatural elements into firm existence.
  3. Red Dead Redemption - It's a no brainer. You can look at the three distinct major locations and find different influences from Western movies everywhere, ranging from John Ford to Clint Eastwood to Sergio Leone. Mix that in with a world that actually feels living and breathing. Seriously, it's fucking gorgeous.
  4. Dead Space - We're talking about the original here. It's another game that dishes out tons of atmosphere, but how all the areas of the Ishimura link together feels seemless, and the drenching tension of turning any corner is undeniably satisfying and frightening.
  5. World of Warcraft - I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more fleshed out game universe anywhere in the industry, whether you like the game or not.
  6. Vagrant Story - Maybe it's just because it's a personal favorite of mine (*cough*GREATESTGAMEEVERMADEPERIODEXCLAMATIONPOINT*cough*). It's not, though. The game features another seemless blend of atmosphere, characters, and a bit of mystery to it. Speaking of mystery...
  7. Myst - WHY THE FUCK HAVE NONE OF YOU PUT MYST ON YOUR LISTS?! It's one of the most ICONIC game universes out there.
  8. Doom - It's Hell in low resolution, but everything about it just feels right and iconic. When I think of Hell, I think of Cyberdemons, not Satan.
  9. Dante's Inferno - As much as the game sucks, the world that Visceral created around Dante's epic poem is worth kicking the difficulty to easy and having a virtual tour of Hell.
  10. Katamari Damacy - There are very few game universes that are nearly as unique and wild as the Katamari franchise. The original game absolutely deserves to be on this list.
SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SexyToad

Pokemon.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bemusedchunk

Descent

Warcraft

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@jakob187: Nice. Soul Reaver and Legacy of Kain are sorely missed.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#22  Edited By elyk247
  1. Mass Effect
  2. Fallout
  3. Oddworld
  4. Mortal Kombat
  5. Elder Scrolls
  6. Dead Space
  7. Psychonauts
  8. Beyond Good and Evil

I couldn't get ten......Most games have worlds that are interesting of course, but some stuff gets way too convoluted to enjoy them much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

• Bioshock
  • The Longest Journey
  • Elder Scrolls
  • Half-Life
  • Mass Effect
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Persona
  • Halo (I don't even really like these games, but its universe if great)
  • Alan Wake
  • Oddworld
triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By triumvir

10. Killzone: There's something compelling about the conflicts and politics of that world, but it never really get's fleshed out. Which is too bad, because I feel like there's probably a great deal of quality fiction to told there.

9. Assassin's Creed: The Templar vs Assassin thing is okay, but what really got me was the fucked up shit they added in the second game. The vault at the end, the hidden messages: you know the stuff I'm talking about.

8. Elder Scrolls: Personally, the overall setting of Tamriel can be pretty generic, but I pretty much have to include this because it's so well-realized as a game world. It's not one of my favourite settings, but it's one of my favourite game worlds to visit.

7. Fallout: Fallout's world is pretty compelling (even if the hokey music in the newer games becomes grating), but the East Coast stuff never held my imagination like the stuff from the first 2 and New Vegas.

6. Rocksteady's take on Batman: At once homage and reinvention: take the feel of the animated series, the diverse lore of the comics, and ad a pinch of Nolan-esque grit and you've something which stands as it's own, unique, video game Batman world (although Batman should probably lay of the 'roids).

5. Hitman: The world of Hitman is like a fun-house mirror pointed at the absolute worst parts of humanity. It's a bleak place filled with corruption and depravity, but also with wry cynicism and black irony. If you enjoy black humour, it's actually one of the funniest games series, in my opinion.

4. Deus Ex: Cyberpunk is cool. Cyborgs are cool. Conspiracy theories are cool. Dystopian futures are cool. Deus Ex is cool.

3. The world of team Ico: i.e. the world in which Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, and the Last Guardian are, presumably, set. I dunno if the devs have come out and said it's all in the same world, but it sure as hell feels like it.

2. Uncharted: Weird choice? Consider that it exists in a world, ostensibly like our own, but which is filled with lost and ancient supernatural stuff lurking just outside the reach of the mundane, but there for anyone with the know-how and guts to find it. As someone who studies ancient history and myth and has had more than a passing exposure to archaeology, it's the perfect fantasy world.

1. Mass Effect: No other video game franchise has hooked my like that world. I know way, way too much about this fictional setting; I own most of the books and comics as well as a bunch of collectables (I've even considered shelling out cash for the replica Avenger rifle, but even I can't rationalize spending that much). Really, it's a sickness and it needs to stop.

Honorary mentions: The Witcher, Metro 2033, Warhammer 40K, Forgotten Realms. Because, well, they're based on books or role-playing systems (or both), so they're not technically game universes.

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By killr0y

@jakob187 said:

1. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - The overall world had a great dark and gothic feel to it, and every monument and craggy mountain felt like it belonged in that world.
  2. Alan Wake - It features some of the densest atmosphere I've ever seen. Beyond that, it grounds all of its characters, locations, and supernatural elements into firm existence.
  3. Red Dead Redemption - It's a no brainer. You can look at the three distinct major locations and find different influences from Western movies everywhere, ranging from John Ford to Clint Eastwood to Sergio Leone. Mix that in with a world that actually feels living and breathing. Seriously, it's fucking gorgeous.
  4. Dead Space - We're talking about the original here. It's another game that dishes out tons of atmosphere, but how all the areas of the Ishimura link together feels seemless, and the drenching tension of turning any corner is undeniably satisfying and frightening.
  5. World of Warcraft - I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more fleshed out game universe anywhere in the industry, whether you like the game or not.
  6. Vagrant Story - Maybe it's just because it's a personal favorite of mine (*cough*GREATESTGAMEEVERMADEPERIODEXCLAMATIONPOINT*cough*). It's not, though. The game features another seemless blend of atmosphere, characters, and a bit of mystery to it. Speaking of mystery...
  7. Myst - WHY THE FUCK HAVE NONE OF YOU PUT MYST ON YOUR LISTS?! It's one of the most ICONIC game universes out there.
  8. Doom - It's Hell in low resolution, but everything about it just feels right and iconic. When I think of Hell, I think of Cyberdemons, not Satan.
  9. Dante's Inferno - As much as the game sucks, the world that Visceral created around Dante's epic poem is worth kicking the difficulty to easy and having a virtual tour of Hell.
  10. Katamari Damacy - There are very few game universes that are nearly as unique and wild as the Katamari franchise. The original game absolutely deserves to be on this list.

Myst is more like looking at a picture of something cool. I never felt like I was actually living there. Dead Space is creepy in a sci-fi slasher kind of way. Alan Wake is creepy in a child-molesting serial killer kind of way, and while it was a great game, its too creepy for me to ever consider playing again. Doom 3, I am in complete agreement. One of the first games where the textures literally popped-out at you (thanks to the newly utilized "normal mapping"). The Mars atmosphere could be considered the precursor to what we have in Dead Space. Dante's Inferno? Definitely an interesting pick, and the hellishness was definitely well realized.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Fallout has a pretty outstanding universe.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zombie2011

Halo.

After Reach i found out how deep the Halo fiction is and it's really great.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Coafi

Silent Hill. That's the only place I wanna visit.

WildFloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#29  Edited By WildFloyd

How about some non-current generation universes like:

C&C (pre renegade)

Heretic/Hexen

Unreal (Origional only)

Quake

Metroid

KOTOR (acient starwars)

Resident evil (1-4)

As far as this generation goes I'd say:

Team fortress 2

Mirrors edge

Bayonetta

Half life (including portal)

Mass effect

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Grim Fandango. It's a crime such a rich universe hasn't been used for more games.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By predator

@WildFloyd said:

Unreal (Origional only)

I think Na Pali is one of the best realised and atmospheric game worlds ever. And Unreal tells a great story without any dialogue.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#32  Edited By StarvingGamer

Ivalice

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#33  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Fallout

Mass Effect

Dragon Age

Elder Scrolls

Quest for Glory

Final Fantasy VII

Suikoden

King's Quest

Deus Ex

Full Throttle

Runner-ups: Grim Fandango, Red Dead Redemption, Might and Magic

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By DarthOrange

Here are my ten in no particular order:

Mortal Kombat

God of War

Little Big Planet

Jak and Daxter

Dark Souls

Resistance

Scott Pilgram

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken

Castle Crashers

Saints Row

killr0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By killr0y

I'll raise your Little Big Planet by one Voodoo Vince ; )

Epyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Epyk

@WildFloyd: I always forget about the pupil-dilating fever dream that is the Bayonetta universe.

Taborlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Taborlin

Red Dead - Landscape is gorgeous and cowboys are awesome.

Wind Waker - Throw in the background music and I WILL PAY ANYTHING to make that happen. Such a beautiful world and cute characters.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#38  Edited By Vinny_Says

It's hard to choose between dead space's raw, gritty, dirty and ugly space vs. Mass Effect's clean, shiny, ordered and sanitary space....

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Joeyoe31
  • Dark Souls
  • Metroid Prime
  • Silent Hill (any of them really)
  • Okami
  • Majora's Mask