Top 10 Online Games with Most Time Spent on by US & EU Player

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli
Copy 'n Paste from the German PC magazine/site Gamestar.  Data collected by DFC Intelligence- a market research institute specialized on the games industry.  Numbers are from July 2011 to July 2012.

• League of Legends                                      1.292.502.456h
  • World of Warcraft                                           622.378.909h
  • Minecraft                                                        371.635.651h
  • Heroes of Newerth                                         184.520.156h
  • Diablo III                                                        172.907.605h
  • Battlefield 3                                                    171.852.550h
  • MapleStory                                                     165.503.651h
  • StarCraft II                                                      163.980.293h
  • World Of Tanks                                               145.702.931h
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3                       126.754.082h

I am quite surprised at how incredibly popular Free 2 Play and MOBA games are. I'll finally have to check out a MOBA for myself one of these days. There's got to be something to it.
Equal surprise at how much time is being sunk into Battlefield 3, which has less individual players than Call of Duty, but has apparently way more dedicated players.
I am a bit disturbed by how much time is being spent on a cheapass game like MapleStory (never played it, so don't knock it?).
Also makes me wonder what kind of market share an outfit like Blizzard could achieve, with a game built straight for the F2P business model. Supposedly Project Titan's gonna be just that.

What pops into your heads seeing these numbers?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Phatmac

Why are so many people playing MapleStory? yuck.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Simplexity

Pretty much as I expected except for Maple Story and World of Tanks.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By Justin258

Is this for all time? Because I would think that Everquest or Ultima Online or BF1942 would be up there if that's so.

Darko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Darko

@believer258: It's just over the last year.

I have a few friends that play A LOT of World of Tanks. I barely even know them anymore :(

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By musubi

Is maplestory really all that suprising to you guys? That game is absurdly popular. I'm actually amazed there hasn't been some sort of XBL or PSN version to try to broaden the player base.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Ben_H

The thing that surprised me the most is how well HoN is doing. I thought that game was dying out to League of Legends and DOTA 2 but I guess not.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Hunter5024

Diablo 3 climbed halfway up the list with less than a 1/4th as much time on the market as the others.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

I hate every game on this list.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ares42

@Seppli said:

Equal surprise at how much time is being sunk into Battlefield 3, which has less individual players than Call of Duty, but has apparently way more dedicated players.

I'm guessing these are PC only stats, which means there probably isn't that big a difference in the userbase of the games. It might even be in favor Battlefield.

Anyways, regarding the whole free to play thing, I would go as far as saying it's completely unfair to compare them to the full price games. If any of them had the same initial investment, their numbers would only be a small fraction of their current numbers. I'm not gonna say they're bad games (as they most definitely aren't) but what you're seeing isn't a represantation of how good the games are, it's a represantation of their availability.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Seppli
@believer258 said:

Is this for all time? Because I would think that Everquest or Ultima Online or BF1942 would be up there if that's so.

Just the last 12 months. July '11 to July '12.
Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Seppli
@Ares42 said:

@Seppli said:

I'm guessing these are PC only stats, which means there probably isn't that big a difference in the userbase of the games. It might even be in favor Battlefield.

Most probably. Sadly no context was given in the article, so it could as well be including the console space. Though I don't think so. The numbers should be readily available though somewhere, I guess.
dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By dfsvegas

League of Legends literally doubled WoW. It blows my mind how popular that game is, especially considering the godawful community and relatively high learning curve.

Fun game, but that's goddamn impressive.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By xymox

@Seppli said:

That, if every single person on this planet played games for 2 hours a day, they'd reach comparable numbers.

It'll also be interesting to see the next batch of numbers, as I am quite sure Diablo III numbers have plummeted substantially.

Also: World of tanks? Really? Who are these people?

And that is A LOT of Minecraft. If people get 1 diamond every 5 hours, that's 1.161.360 stacks of diamonds, the equivalent of 48 390 full sets of diamond armor, if I excel'd it correctly.

It also makes me want to calculate the amount of blocks that could exist in minecraft (I don't have the dimensions, only 256 world-height, but does anyone have the other measurements?). Then you could find out how many persons it would take to mine every single block within a feasible time-period in a minecraft world at the rate of 1 block / per second (although a more accurate number would need the exact ratios of certain block types and the probabilties for them to show up within that world size, as they take different amount of time to break) and how many diamond picks that would take.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By zeforgotten
@Xymox said:

@Seppli said:

That, if every single person on this planet played games for 2 hours a day, they'd reach comparable numbers.

It'll also be interesting to see the next batch of numbers, as I am quite sure Diablo III numbers have plummeted substantially.

Also: World of tanks? Really? Who are these people?

And that is A LOT of Minecraft. If people get 1 diamond every 5 hours, that's 1.161.360 stacks of diamonds, the equivalent of 48 390 full sets of diamond armor, if I excel'd it correctly.

Good god, now it's even crazier to think about
d0rks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By d0rks

"The list was prepared by extrapolating from actual usage data from more than 21 million Xfire members from July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012."

(ref)

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By pandorasbox

It's odd to me that people in this thread are shitting on maplestory. It's a family friendly side scrolling MMO. It's kind of unique in what it is, and i'm glad it's still doing well.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@d0rks said:

"The list was prepared by extrapolating from actual usage data from more than 21 million Xfire members from July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012."

(ref)

The second I looked at that list I was like "this looks like someone just polled Xfire users". Yup.

Not accurate at all, move along.

Did you not find the lack of Steam games a bit conspicuous? Jesus.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Icemo

Not so surprised to see World of Tanks at this list. It's quite decent game that gets large updates 4-5 times a year. And I have to confess that I play it maybe too much...

haffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By haffy

I wounder how many hours people have spent watching SC2 compared to playing it lol. Would imagine people have watched a lot more than played, especially in the past year.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

DOTA rules Germany. If it ever comes down to World War 3 you better hope it's not fought by sending waves of troops on endless offensives while massively powerful soldiers grow stronger with every battalion they destroy singlehandedly. Germany will push hard, destroy Russia's defensive artillery, march into Moscow and kill their Ancient/Moneyball/thing.

moonpix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By moonpix

you could probably get away with never, ever playing a MOBA game because you're really not missing much