Top 30 Games Japanese Gamers Want Most (Famitsu Poll)

• 103 results
Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

You'll notice that No 14 on the list is ironic given recent events, but then this list was compiled well before the disaster. As far as No 20 is concerned, It astounds me that any company can be allowed to title a videogame ln such a way. Aside from what are clearly niche titles made primarily for the Japanese market, there are undoubtedly some great games included. 

1. Tales of Xillia (PS3)  
2. Dragon Quest X (Wii)  
3. Super Robot Wars Z (PSP)  
4. Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3)  
5. Final Fantasy Type 0 (PSP) 
6. Mario Kart 3D (3DS)  
7. Rising Metal Gear Solid (PS3)  
8. Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)  
9. The Last Guardian (PS3)  
10. Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3)  
11. Fotokano (PSP)  
12. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS)  
13. Dark Souls (PS3)  
14. Disaster Report 4: Summer Memories (PS3)  
15. Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection (PSP)  
16. The Legend of Zelda: The Skyward Sword (Wii)  
17. Fantasy Life (3DS)  
18. Tales of the Abyss (3DS)  
19. Last Remnant (PS3)  
20. Amagami: Let's Have Sex With Kids Edition (PSP)  
21. Biohazard Revision (3DS)  
22. Story Of The Last Promise (PSP)  
23. Animal Crossing (3DS)  
24. Tiny Battlers (PSP)  
25. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2: Professional (DS)  
26. Pro Baseball Spirits 2011 (3DS)  
27. Vs. Layton. Phoenix Wright  
28. Black Rock Shooter: The Game (PSP)  
29. Earth Seeker (Wii)  
30. TROY (PS3)  

Thanks to RPG Land - http://www.rpgland.com/    

edit:  

@BombKareshi said: 

" The title of number 20 is just the author trying to be funny and/or trying to draw attention.  He wrote number 29 as "Ass Seeker" for the same reason.  What an idiot. "

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By sameeeeam

I want some of those games.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MannyMAR

Wow, out of the other possible choices, they really want Last Remnant for the PS3 that bad? What about Persona 5 and just what the hell is  Amagami: Let's Have Sex With Kids Edition? The latter seems like it's a trap set up by Chris Hanson and MSNBC.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By FancySoapsMan

7,8, and 13 for me please. 

also lol at #20

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

That list does not surprise me at all. Actually, not seeing Yakuza of the End there is a little surprising (that game isn't out yet there, right?). 

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By delta_ass

Dude, they're not talking about having sex with children in No 20.

They meant having sex with young goats, duh.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Yanngc33

Notice how the 360 is nowhere to be seen

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Contro

@MooseyMcMan said:

" That list does not surprise me at all. Actually, not seeing Yakuza of the End there is a little surprising (that game isn't out yet there, right?).  "

Ryu ga Gotoku: Of the End has been delayed indefinitely, in fact it may not even be released. The game prominently depicts what appears to be a Japanese city ruined by an earthquake. If that's integral to the games story, it's unlikely the same game will be released in future.

I want 14 titles:  

1. Tales of Xillia (PS3)
2. Dragon Quest X (Wii)
6. Mario Kart 3D (3DS)
7. Rising Metal Gear Solid (PS3)
8. Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP)
9. The Last Guardian (PS3)
12. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS)
16. The Legend of Zelda: The Skyward Sword (Wii)
17. Fantasy Life (3DS)
18. Tales of the Abyss (3DS)
21. Biohazard Revision (3DS)
23. Animal Crossing (3DS)
27. Vs. Layton. Phoenix Wright (3DS)
29. Earth Seeker (Wii)
Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

I'd gladly take Final Fantasy Versus XIII right now, but alas it isn't coming until next year.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan
@Contro: I knew it was delayed, but I didn't think it'd be a "We're never going to release this" kinda thing.  

And not to be insensitive, but if they don't release that game just because it shows a Japanese city getting messed up, then that's super lame on their part. I mean, how many Japanese monster movies have there been over the years with cities getting leveled? Heck, some of those were "inspired" by the atomic bombs used against Japan during WWII (Godzilla was anyway).  

It'll come out. They may wait a year or something, but they're not going to not use this fully finished game that they made. 
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By McGhee

Can Number 20 be serious? How can Sony endorse and release such a thing on their platform? That's just crazy.

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By ftomato

Weird that there are 0 western games. I know that Japanese games do way better than western games in Japan, but really, none at all? Batman? Skyrim? Mass Effect? Uncharted? Deus Ex? Portal? Something?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Contro
@MooseyMcMan:  

Good point about Gozilla & Co. You could be right, but if the game strongly centres around the fallout of natural disaster, it may be too much, too soon.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

2. Dragon Quest X 
6. Mario Kart 3D 
7. Rising Metal Gear Solid 
12. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 

And I know this comment is going to repeated way too often by the time this thread plays out, but what the fuck is up with choice number 20?  Seriously. 

Super Edit:  Tales of Xillia looks real purdy.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Trilogy

The only game I'm looking forward to on that list is Skyward Sword.

Well I suppose there is Animal Crossing 3DS but I have a feeling my obsession with animal crossing back when it came out on the gamecube is a thing of the past...   :(

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sameeeeam
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:

" Can Number 20 be serious? How can Sony endorse and release such a thing on their platform? That's just crazy. "

From what I've seen of that game it just looks like a regular hentai high school dating sim. All of the characters seem to be 16-18, and that's above the age of sexual consent in Japan. So I don't understand why they would call it that over there. Or is that the Western name?
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

Dragon Quest X is still a thing?

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By spazmaster666
@Underachiever007 said:

From what I've seen of that game it just looks like a regular hentai high school dating sim. All of the characters seem to be 16-18, and that's above the age of sexual consent in Japan. Weird name. "

It's a dating sim, but it's not eroge (it's rated Cero C, which means 15+). It's also just a port of the 2009 Amagami PS2 game (which was very popular, hence the anime series and now the PSP port). Not sure how they managed to translate it they way they did. Here's a link to the actual game: Amagami PSP Limited Edition 

Also, despite some niche titles, there are instead some great games on that list. Tales of Xillia in particular is a game that I'm definitely looking forward to (I became a big "Tales" fan after Vesperia), though I'd be happy if Namco Bandai would just release Graces in NA already.
Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Cwaff

Only in Japan could you release number 20.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sameeeeam
@spazmaster666 said:

" @Underachiever007 said:

From what I've seen of that game it just looks like a regular hentai high school dating sim. All of the characters seem to be 16-18, and that's above the age of sexual consent in Japan. Weird name. "

It's a dating sim, but it's not eroge (it's rated Cero C, which means 15+). It's also just a port of the 2009 Amagami PS2 game (which was very popular, hence the anime series and now the PSP port). Not sure how they managed to translate it they way they did. Here's a link to the actual game: Amagami PSP Limited Edition 
 "
Thanks for clarifying that. I was under the impression it was an adult game.  

That just makes the title weirder.
Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Contro

@Video_Game_King: said:
" Dragon Quest X is still a thing? "

Very much so, the game is deep into development and expected to arrive sometime late next year. Rumours circulating Japan suggest that a 3DS version is under way also. If true, we could see Nintendo incorporating some Wii-3DS connectivity. 

Hey, on another note I think this may interest you: 

The Taito classic RPG from the Super Nintendo, Lufia & the Fortress of Doom, published by Natsume back in 1993, is arriving on the Virtual Console for Wii, according to the latest ESRB update

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#22  Edited By LordAndrew
@Contro said:

"   @MooseyMcMan said:

" That list does not surprise me at all. Actually, not seeing Yakuza of the End there is a little surprising (that game isn't out yet there, right?).  "

Ryu ga Gotoku: Of the End has been delayed indefinitely, in fact it may not even be released. The game prominently depicts what appears to be a Japanese city ruined by an earthquake. If that's integral to the games story, it's unlikely the same game will be released in future."
Its absence from the list is still surprising though. Disaster Report 4 is on the list, and that game was outright cancelled. Is the Yakuza series not popular in Japan?
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By MysteriousBob

The Japanese continue to have a horrible taste in games. No surprise there. 

And before you try and argue with that point, let me just point out that Monster Hunter is a best seller over there.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Kjellm87

Ocarina 3D over Zelda Skyword sword, eh.
I wonder if Nintendo has been a little too quiet about it.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By BombKareshi

The title of number 20 is just the author trying to be funny and/or trying to draw attention.

He wrote number 29 as "Ass Seeker" for the same reason.

What an idiot.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By captain_clayman

almost completely handhelds.  lol.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Tesla

Hey Japan, we make better games than you now.  You should try some of them.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xyzygy

I cannot believe that they're still hoping for a PS3 version of a game that's going on 3 years old now (Last Remnant). Give it up. 

Also, Tales of Xillia looks very good but I'm hoping that Graces F comes out as well. I really wish they'd just multiplatform it but if it's only gonna be PS3 then I can deal with that.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Yeah, that seems about right for Japa- Wait! What the hell is up with number 20!?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#30  Edited By Hailinel

19. Last Remnant (PS3) 

What?  Wasn't the PS3 version cancelled years ago?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#31  Edited By LordAndrew
@Hailinel said:
"  19. Last Remnant (PS3)   What?  Wasn't the PS3 version cancelled years ago? "
Square Enix's website still lists it.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Hailinel
@LordAndrew said:
" @Contro said:

"   @MooseyMcMan said:

Ryu ga Gotoku: Of the End has been delayed indefinitely, in fact it may not even be released. The game prominently depicts what appears to be a Japanese city ruined by an earthquake. If that's integral to the games story, it's unlikely the same game will be released in future."
Its absence from the list is still surprising though. Disaster Report 4 is on the list, and that game was outright cancelled. Is the Yakuza series not popular in Japan? "
I don't think it's that.  The Yakuza titles sell well in Japan.  Any individual title in the series may not just be wanted as much by the crowd that's still willing to put The Last Remnant's PS3 version on the list.  Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 4's preorders shot up after the earthquake, but for all the wrong reasons.

And it's not just these games, either.  Motorstorm: Apocalypse has been delayed indefinitely across all territories because of the devastation that's so intrinsic to the game.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikkaQ
@MooseyMcMan said:
" @Contro: I knew it was delayed, but I didn't think it'd be a "We're never going to release this" kinda thing.   And not to be insensitive, but if they don't release that game just because it shows a Japanese city getting messed up, then that's super lame on their part. I mean, how many Japanese monster movies have there been over the years with cities getting leveled? Heck, some of those were "inspired" by the atomic bombs used against Japan during WWII (Godzilla was anyway).   It'll come out. They may wait a year or something, but they're not going to not use this fully finished game that they made.  "
Well to be fair, Godzilla was made about 8 years or so after the attack. Having the game come out this year would be "too soon" to be certain. It's possible they'll release it in a year or two, or remake the game as an actual Yakuza game this time. It was such a spin-off of an idea, plus with those samurai, and PSP spin-offs I figured this would have been another one. 

Though I was kinda looking forward to that crazy eye-patch dude becoming a zombie or something. It had to happen at one point.  

Also.. Let's Have Sex With Kids Edition? That's completely depraved. I knew they made some fucked up shit but wow.
Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Contro
@BombKareshi:  

Yep, it's just dumb. Thanks.
Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hailinel
@XII_Sniper said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
" @Contro: I knew it was delayed, but I didn't think it'd be a "We're never going to release this" kinda thing.   And not to be insensitive, but if they don't release that game just because it shows a Japanese city getting messed up, then that's super lame on their part. I mean, how many Japanese monster movies have there been over the years with cities getting leveled? Heck, some of those were "inspired" by the atomic bombs used against Japan during WWII (Godzilla was anyway).   It'll come out. They may wait a year or something, but they're not going to not use this fully finished game that they made.  "
Well to be fair, Godzilla was made about 8 years or so after the attack. Having the game come out this year would be "too soon" to be certain. It's possible they'll release it in a year or two, or remake the game as an actual Yakuza game this time. It was such a spin-off of an idea, plus with those samurai, and PSP spin-offs I figured this would have been another one.   Though I was kinda looking forward to that crazy eye-patch dude becoming a zombie or something. It had to happen at one point.   Also.. Let's Have Sex With Kids Edition? That's completely depraved. I knew they made some fucked up shit but wow. "
@BombKareshi said:
" The title of number 20 is just the author trying to be funny and/or trying to draw attention.  He wrote number 29 as "Ass Seeker" for the same reason.  What an idiot. "
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MikkaQ
@Hailinel: Ah okay, I didn't see the second page there.  

Though I really shouldn't have been able to believe a title like that. But I've seen one too many RapeLays I guess. 
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mnzy

Not one western game? Kinda weird to me.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" Dragon Quest X is still a thing? "
Why on Earth wouldn't it be?  This is Dragon Quest we're talking about here.
lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By lead_farmer

Gimme 5, 8, 9, and 13.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By Tordah

Seems like Final Fantasy is still as strong as ever in Japan.

oysteinBrenne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By oysteinBrenne

Amagami: LET'S HAVE SEX WITH KIDS Edition     sounds pretty sweet !! 

jokes aside  

i am not really playing any ds or psp so most of these games dosnt appeal to me  

but god dammit    27. Vs. Layton. Phoenix Wright (3DS) looks so fucking epic 

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Contro
@oysteinBrenne said:

"  Amagami: LET'S HAVE SEX WITH KIDS Edition     sounds pretty sweet !! 

jokes aside  

i am not really playing any ds or psp so most of these games dosnt appeal to me  

but god dammit    27. Vs. Layton. Phoenix Wright (3DS) looks so fucking epic 

"

Whether that game gets a Western release is all in Level-5's hands, sadly Capcom have little control over it, according to Christian Svennson of Capcom.  I'm not expecting Akihiro Hino to say anything regarding a Western release at Level-5 Vision, but I am expecting to hear something at E3 this year. I'm confident there's a Level-5 team translating the game at their new California office, along with a certain Studio Ghibli game, that will now use Hollywood voice actors.  

The draw of the game in the West is substantial enough to warrant localization - they're both solid performing franchises, so combining the two has significant advantages in any region.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel: 

True, but it kinda dropped off the face of the Earth after its announcement, like any hopes that the DS remake of Fire Emblem 3 will ever come stateside.
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAHAHAHA at number 20.  Great translation :P

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hailinel
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel:   True, but it kinda dropped off the face of the Earth after its announcement, like any hopes that the DS remake of Fire Emblem 3 will ever come stateside. "
They announced it when DQIX was still in development.  They had little if anything to show at that point.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Hailinel: 

Even then, though, I haven't heard anything about it since that announcement. No "here's what it'll be like" or screenshots or interviews or anything.
Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47  Edited By Juno500
@Video_Game_King said:
" @Hailinel:   True, but it kinda dropped off the face of the Earth after its announcement, like any hopes that the DS remake of Fire Emblem 3 will ever come stateside. "
Dude, the series is really fucking popular over there. Not having been talked about for a while isn't going to do anything to stop the anticipation.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Juno500: 

It's still possible that they could scrap this in favor of something for the next generation. If I remember correctly, Final Fantasy IV was originally going to be for the Famicom Disk System (that may be overlap with Seiken Densetsu, though), and Final Fantasy VII started life as an SNES game.
Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49  Edited By Juno500
@Video_Game_King: 

But why would a system change stop them from anticipating it? People are excited for Dragon Quest X, they aren't excited about it because it's on the Wii.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Vinny_Says

so...what is TROY and why does everyone keep mentioning it?