Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

10. Killer 7

Nintendo Gamecube, 2005

No Caption Provided
This game is insane. Killer 7 is criticized often for just about everything, but that's what makes it all the more compelling. The story is a smorgasbord or eastern and western influences, with seedy biblical and political undertones that make it one hell of a ride. Of course I'm probably reading too far into this. You take on the split personalities of a man named Garcia (spoilers?), all of which are different assassins. There's a dude in a gimp suit, tons of blood, and some of the weirdest game play you've ever seen. I really am trying to explain this, but it's not working out. Maybe that's why I love it.

09. Vagrant Story

Sony Playstation, 2000

One the eve of the PS1's destruction came a bizarre RPG with a chaining-combo system the blew my mind. I never thought it would be so awesome to play a dude names Ashley, but it was just that. The story is presented in a very mature fashion ala Final Fantasy Tactics, and even features the same musical composer to boot. What ultimately sets this game apart from every other title of its time is the way that it approaches game design. There is no interaction with people or shops, and instead heavily focuses on the dungeon crawl, complete with weapon customization and strategic puzzle-solving.

08. Silent Hill

Sony Playstation, 1999

No Caption Provided
This is an interesting game in an interesting position on this list, because as a whole I can say that I don't enjoy Silent Hill very much. This may sound weird, but what I love about Silent Hill and the sequels to follow is that it creates unease and restlessness. It was probably the scariest game of its time, and ranks up high in the sheer amount of "holy shit" moments. Everything about this game makes me glad I'm not playing it right now, but at the same time I kind of want to go play it. Sure, you found a giant can of light bulbs and a pyramid head raping a mannequin in Silent Hill 2, but nothing beats butcher-knife wielding babies.

07. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

PC, 2000

No Caption Provided
This was a case of right place right time for me, as I had never played anything like Baldur's Gate before -- any American RPGs for that matter. Everything about this game just blew me away, the zany characters introduced right at the offset, including a man that carries a rat in his pocket, The micro-management of party members, that sheer openness and mass customization available, and the massive amount of time investment. It's a D&D game, not that I'd ever notice because I was never into that sort of thing, and I never was again after BGII. Maybe because we've moved on from those conventions, or maybe just because I have yet to seen it done better than Shadows of Amn. I rest my case.

06. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Sony Playstation 2, 2001

No Caption Provided
I'll be the first to admit my blind allegiance to anything Metal Gear, yet lately I've actually gotten a mind of my own, and can detest over the final entry in the series all I wish. This doesn't change the fact that MGS2 completely blew me away on every sensory level possible. I was WAY into MGS1, but not to this level. By the end of the game I felt that my outlook on humanity had changed, and that most people aren't so bad, even if they have mechanical octo-arms and are hell-bent on killing their own son. The triple-double crossing of just about everyone, naked cartwheels, and all that fuss about A.I. and Solid Snake Simulations, and oh man Revolver Ocelot, his last awesome rendition before he was turned into Liquid Snake for whatever horrible reason Kojima decided.

Stay tuned for my top 5!

Previous Entries:
#30-26
#25-21
#20-16
#15-11
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

10. Killer 7

Nintendo Gamecube, 2005

No Caption Provided
This game is insane. Killer 7 is criticized often for just about everything, but that's what makes it all the more compelling. The story is a smorgasbord or eastern and western influences, with seedy biblical and political undertones that make it one hell of a ride. Of course I'm probably reading too far into this. You take on the split personalities of a man named Garcia (spoilers?), all of which are different assassins. There's a dude in a gimp suit, tons of blood, and some of the weirdest game play you've ever seen. I really am trying to explain this, but it's not working out. Maybe that's why I love it.

09. Vagrant Story

Sony Playstation, 2000

One the eve of the PS1's destruction came a bizarre RPG with a chaining-combo system the blew my mind. I never thought it would be so awesome to play a dude names Ashley, but it was just that. The story is presented in a very mature fashion ala Final Fantasy Tactics, and even features the same musical composer to boot. What ultimately sets this game apart from every other title of its time is the way that it approaches game design. There is no interaction with people or shops, and instead heavily focuses on the dungeon crawl, complete with weapon customization and strategic puzzle-solving.

08. Silent Hill

Sony Playstation, 1999

No Caption Provided
This is an interesting game in an interesting position on this list, because as a whole I can say that I don't enjoy Silent Hill very much. This may sound weird, but what I love about Silent Hill and the sequels to follow is that it creates unease and restlessness. It was probably the scariest game of its time, and ranks up high in the sheer amount of "holy shit" moments. Everything about this game makes me glad I'm not playing it right now, but at the same time I kind of want to go play it. Sure, you found a giant can of light bulbs and a pyramid head raping a mannequin in Silent Hill 2, but nothing beats butcher-knife wielding babies.

07. Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn

PC, 2000

No Caption Provided
This was a case of right place right time for me, as I had never played anything like Baldur's Gate before -- any American RPGs for that matter. Everything about this game just blew me away, the zany characters introduced right at the offset, including a man that carries a rat in his pocket, The micro-management of party members, that sheer openness and mass customization available, and the massive amount of time investment. It's a D&D game, not that I'd ever notice because I was never into that sort of thing, and I never was again after BGII. Maybe because we've moved on from those conventions, or maybe just because I have yet to seen it done better than Shadows of Amn. I rest my case.

06. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Sony Playstation 2, 2001

No Caption Provided
I'll be the first to admit my blind allegiance to anything Metal Gear, yet lately I've actually gotten a mind of my own, and can detest over the final entry in the series all I wish. This doesn't change the fact that MGS2 completely blew me away on every sensory level possible. I was WAY into MGS1, but not to this level. By the end of the game I felt that my outlook on humanity had changed, and that most people aren't so bad, even if they have mechanical octo-arms and are hell-bent on killing their own son. The triple-double crossing of just about everyone, naked cartwheels, and all that fuss about A.I. and Solid Snake Simulations, and oh man Revolver Ocelot, his last awesome rendition before he was turned into Liquid Snake for whatever horrible reason Kojima decided.

Stay tuned for my top 5!

Previous Entries:
#30-26
#25-21
#20-16
#15-11
Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Why_So_Serious

Wow..nice choices. I own MGS2 and have never played it. i really need to get to that man don't I?

Avatar image for luckywanderdude
LuckyWanderDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By LuckyWanderDude

KILLER 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By BoG

Vagrant Story has surprisingly been on a lot of lists lately. I didn't put it in my top 30 because I haven't finished it (can I really claim to love a game if I don't love it enough to finish it?), though I did give it nod in my honorable mentions. Killer 7 is a cool choice, I loved the style of the game. MGS2 was on my list, one of my favorites. I also will join you in your detestation of MGS4.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

Not bad, not bad... Ive been seeing that theres a lot more love for MGS 2 than popular opinion would have you believe, though i still say MGSTS was better

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By danielkempster

Kudos for picking Vagrant Story. That's gotta be one of my all-time favourites. Everything about it just sits right with me - characters, story, gameplay, visuals, everything. I've got a real urge to go play it now, but I've left it at University so I can't. Can't wait to see what makes your Top 5, Loltima. Keep it up.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By RHCPfan24

Killer 7, SWEET! I have never played Vagrant Story, though. It seems like a lot of people like that game.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

I need to play Vagrant Story, but the high eBay price means I'll just have to wait until they put it as a PSone classic.

LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By LackLuster

I'm killer 7 hater that game was just straight up not fun.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lordofultima

Killer7 was the epiphany of fun buddy, you're out of your mind! But even games that aren't "fun" I still find enjoyable, i.e. Silent Hill.

Usagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Usagi

Another five games that aren't typically seen in top lists.  That's good enough for me!  :D