Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

15. Wild Arms

Sony Playstation, 1997

As one of the first RPG's I've ever played, Wild Arms holds a special place in my heart. Its simple approach to characterization and storytelling is still one of the best. You get banished from hometown for doing the "right" thing, you stumble upon two other wanderers who are on their own journey, you unite for a common goal. It's been done before, and it's been done after, but none have done it as good as Wild Arms in my opinion. I personally love the psuedo-wild west meets japan feel to the game, and the soundtrack is second to none.

14. Mortal Kombat II

Arcade, 1993

No Caption Provided
Owning fools at my local dollar movie-theater as an eight year-old was quite the experience, but none of this would have been possible if it weren't for this gem. MKII is one of the best fighting games of all time, whether the veterans of the genre will admit it or not. It hit the sweet spot with its expansion on MKI, before it went completely ape-shit with MKIII and beyond. The perfect fighting system? Just the right amount of approachability? And there's tons of gore, although that goes without mentioning.

13. Deus Ex

PC, 2000

No Caption Provided
Bridging the gap between FPS and PRG was the original Deus Ex, a game that stands the test of time despite looking horribly out-dated today (a feat I can't say about half of the games on this list). I really loved the all-angle approach you could take to virtually every sequence in the game, and how you distribute abilities and stats and all that awesome junk always gets me giddy. I'm thinking about installing this again just for the lulz. The sequel was great as well, don't let the nay-sayers deter you!

12. Shadowgate

Nintendo Entertainment System, 1989

No game has scarred my memory quite like Shadowgate, the second in a line of three clicking adventure games released for the NES, the others being Deja Vu and Uninvited respectively. I don't know what it is that makes this game in particular so horrifying, but even today I still have chills running down my spine when I see my torch is fading away and I hear that awful music (by awful I mean amazing). What keeps me coming back? The various methods in which you can use things on yourself, of course! "Use hammer on self -- YOU PLUNGE THE HAMMER DEEP INTO YOUR CHEST!!" Is that even possible? Who cares, it's awesome.

11. Shadow of Destiny

Sony Playstation 2, 2001

No Caption Provided
You probably don't know this game exists, but that's ok. I'm here to tell you that it's awesome. As one of my early PS2 experiences, I was grabbed immediately by the storytelling, engaging plot-twists, and multiple wildly different endings. It's mostly a hands-off adventure game, but it makes you FEEL like you're in a fair amount of control, as you never really feel the need to do anything beyond the games limitations. I cannot stress it enough, pick this one up on the cheap for either the PS2 OR PC, chances are you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's super short, I managed to get all five of the endings in one day.

Stay tuned in the near future for #10-6!

Previous Entries:
#30-26
#25-21
#20-16
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

15. Wild Arms

Sony Playstation, 1997

As one of the first RPG's I've ever played, Wild Arms holds a special place in my heart. Its simple approach to characterization and storytelling is still one of the best. You get banished from hometown for doing the "right" thing, you stumble upon two other wanderers who are on their own journey, you unite for a common goal. It's been done before, and it's been done after, but none have done it as good as Wild Arms in my opinion. I personally love the psuedo-wild west meets japan feel to the game, and the soundtrack is second to none.

14. Mortal Kombat II

Arcade, 1993

No Caption Provided
Owning fools at my local dollar movie-theater as an eight year-old was quite the experience, but none of this would have been possible if it weren't for this gem. MKII is one of the best fighting games of all time, whether the veterans of the genre will admit it or not. It hit the sweet spot with its expansion on MKI, before it went completely ape-shit with MKIII and beyond. The perfect fighting system? Just the right amount of approachability? And there's tons of gore, although that goes without mentioning.

13. Deus Ex

PC, 2000

No Caption Provided
Bridging the gap between FPS and PRG was the original Deus Ex, a game that stands the test of time despite looking horribly out-dated today (a feat I can't say about half of the games on this list). I really loved the all-angle approach you could take to virtually every sequence in the game, and how you distribute abilities and stats and all that awesome junk always gets me giddy. I'm thinking about installing this again just for the lulz. The sequel was great as well, don't let the nay-sayers deter you!

12. Shadowgate

Nintendo Entertainment System, 1989

No game has scarred my memory quite like Shadowgate, the second in a line of three clicking adventure games released for the NES, the others being Deja Vu and Uninvited respectively. I don't know what it is that makes this game in particular so horrifying, but even today I still have chills running down my spine when I see my torch is fading away and I hear that awful music (by awful I mean amazing). What keeps me coming back? The various methods in which you can use things on yourself, of course! "Use hammer on self -- YOU PLUNGE THE HAMMER DEEP INTO YOUR CHEST!!" Is that even possible? Who cares, it's awesome.

11. Shadow of Destiny

Sony Playstation 2, 2001

No Caption Provided
You probably don't know this game exists, but that's ok. I'm here to tell you that it's awesome. As one of my early PS2 experiences, I was grabbed immediately by the storytelling, engaging plot-twists, and multiple wildly different endings. It's mostly a hands-off adventure game, but it makes you FEEL like you're in a fair amount of control, as you never really feel the need to do anything beyond the games limitations. I cannot stress it enough, pick this one up on the cheap for either the PS2 OR PC, chances are you'll be pleasantly surprised. It's super short, I managed to get all five of the endings in one day.

Stay tuned in the near future for #10-6!

Previous Entries:
#30-26
#25-21
#20-16
Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

DUDE, I love all those games <3

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By BoG

You and I are quite different. The only one of those games I have ever played is MKII, which is a great game.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

Shadowgate is an interesting choice.  I really like that game.  Probably not my top 50 or 30, but really good.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By PureRok

God, I hate Deus Ex... I hate it so much.

ishotmrburns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By ishotmrburns

+1 for Shadow of Destiny.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

I'm playing Deus EX right now. I downloaded some mods and it looks a lot better. I haven't played it in about 5 or 6 years and the refresh looks pretty good. I also played Shadow of Destiny... and liked it, thought I would when I found it and played it.

chronicsmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By chronicsmoke

great list,MK2 is the best in the series and one of my favriotes of all time

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I just looked through your entire list so far, including the earlier entries. I have only played 2 of the games you have selected. RE2 and MK2. I'm a wuss, so playing RE2 didn't go so well. As for MK2, that's one of my all time favorites as well. I'm a real big fan of the MK series and I believe that it is the best Mortal Kombat game. I do think MK3 was a pretty serious misstep for the series. It took things to a much more ridiculously retarded level and lost a lot of the coolness the series once had. Considering the MK2 picture you chose, man... that character select screen music in MK2 is so rad.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lordofultima

The genesis MK2 select screen had great music, better than the arcade version in my opinion.

Jotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Jotun

Shadow mufuckin Gate!

Man that game was creepy as hell.

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Quadrifoglio

MKII is definitely one of my favorite games of all time as well. The joy I got from kicking my brothers ass in it was indescribable.

Usagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By Usagi

While I have much fondness for MKII and I enjoyed it immensely back in the 90s, I'd have to completely disagree with the idea of it having "the perfect fighting system."  It is definitely accessible, but so much so that it is extremely shallow.  Every character is exactly the same except their special moves.  I'm not bashing you for putting it on your list, but rather not being able to understand how you think it has a good fighting system. Personally, I have grown too much as a fighting game player to find the game fun anymore.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lordofultima

Well, the importance of normal moves is a great part of Street Fighter for instance, but I wouldn't say that MK really needs it at all. But many jump kicks and sweeps have different priority depending on who you choose, Baraka having a pretty dominating jump kick, for instance.

Some people like Super Smash Bros, which I find appalling. Different strokes.

Clubvodka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Clubvodka

Shadow of Destiny, looking back the game is total bollocks but when I first got it I loved it. The time travel puzzles were awesome.