Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

25. Vandal Hearts

Sony Playstation, 1997

No Caption Provided
I really like tactical RPG's, and there was just something that Vandal Hearts brought to the table that all the other ones didn't. It wasn't really the excessive geysers of blood rushing from slain opponents, or the horrible art direction. It was decidedly more mature in tone than the other jolly-go-rpgs of the era, and I commend it for this fact. I also have the sequel, but that incorporated some weird "enemies move at the same time as you" mechanic that made it dumb. Unfortunately VH was so hard that I gave up on it. Someday..

24. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Arcade, 1999

Since I'm a relatively new Street Fighter fan, I didn't know where or even if one of them would place on this list. But eventually I caved and put my buddy 3S on it. This game has brought me a large amount of joy over the last year or so, and even though SFIV is out I can't help but think this is just a better playing game. I really like the fluidity that SFIV lacks, and the guess-parry keeps you on your toes at all times. Also, Akuma has mad mixup game and a great super (the fireball obviously). Tip one back for the old days!

23. Gaiares

Sega Genesis, 1990

No Caption Provided
I'm not really good at shooters, vertical or horizontal, but I've always felt a strange attraction towards them. Horizontal has of course always been where it's AT, and Gaiares is my personal prescription. The neat weapon-stealing system is different than other shooters and you totally fight a giant anime robot. What the hell else do you need? GO PLAY IT NOW.

22. Half-Life

PC, 1998

Half-Life 2 might be a better game, that's not the point. The original blew the doors off of my expectations. The human interaction, scary solidarity, interesting protagonist, and the mystery of the G man still blow my mind to this day. The shooting felt great, but you could opt to beat a zombie in the face with a crowbar, how excellent is that? This game in particular started the "cool-gameplay-sequence-usually-at-the-beginning-of-the-game-where-you're not-actually-in-danger" thing, that a few others including the sequel have tried to build upon.

21. Dr. Mario

Nintendo Entertainment System, 1990

No Caption Provided
The only Mario game on this list is probably the least interesting to most of you. To Tetris fans I say forget you, I have something infinitely better than that. This game has chill pills, son. It was much less frustrating than most other puzzle games, you just match up one of the three colored germs to the pills, and you're in business. Not to mention, it has some of the best video game music in the history of the universe.

Stay tuned tomorrow for #20-16!

Previous Posts:
#30-26

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

25. Vandal Hearts

Sony Playstation, 1997

No Caption Provided
I really like tactical RPG's, and there was just something that Vandal Hearts brought to the table that all the other ones didn't. It wasn't really the excessive geysers of blood rushing from slain opponents, or the horrible art direction. It was decidedly more mature in tone than the other jolly-go-rpgs of the era, and I commend it for this fact. I also have the sequel, but that incorporated some weird "enemies move at the same time as you" mechanic that made it dumb. Unfortunately VH was so hard that I gave up on it. Someday..

24. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Arcade, 1999

Since I'm a relatively new Street Fighter fan, I didn't know where or even if one of them would place on this list. But eventually I caved and put my buddy 3S on it. This game has brought me a large amount of joy over the last year or so, and even though SFIV is out I can't help but think this is just a better playing game. I really like the fluidity that SFIV lacks, and the guess-parry keeps you on your toes at all times. Also, Akuma has mad mixup game and a great super (the fireball obviously). Tip one back for the old days!

23. Gaiares

Sega Genesis, 1990

No Caption Provided
I'm not really good at shooters, vertical or horizontal, but I've always felt a strange attraction towards them. Horizontal has of course always been where it's AT, and Gaiares is my personal prescription. The neat weapon-stealing system is different than other shooters and you totally fight a giant anime robot. What the hell else do you need? GO PLAY IT NOW.

22. Half-Life

PC, 1998

Half-Life 2 might be a better game, that's not the point. The original blew the doors off of my expectations. The human interaction, scary solidarity, interesting protagonist, and the mystery of the G man still blow my mind to this day. The shooting felt great, but you could opt to beat a zombie in the face with a crowbar, how excellent is that? This game in particular started the "cool-gameplay-sequence-usually-at-the-beginning-of-the-game-where-you're not-actually-in-danger" thing, that a few others including the sequel have tried to build upon.

21. Dr. Mario

Nintendo Entertainment System, 1990

No Caption Provided
The only Mario game on this list is probably the least interesting to most of you. To Tetris fans I say forget you, I have something infinitely better than that. This game has chill pills, son. It was much less frustrating than most other puzzle games, you just match up one of the three colored germs to the pills, and you're in business. Not to mention, it has some of the best video game music in the history of the universe.

Stay tuned tomorrow for #20-16!

Previous Posts:
#30-26

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Vandal Hearts is an interesting choice. Also, awesome with Half Life and SFIII

Usagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Usagi

Regardless of its popularity, Tetris is still the best game of its kind in my mind.

SFIII's parries ruined almost any distance play.  Would have been better if only physical attacks and supers were able to be parried.

HL2 was indeed better than the first.  I really only liked the first HL for the awesome mods.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By MadBootsy

Whoa! Vandal Hearts! Awesome choice. I thought only me and Slunks loved that game. Which battle did you give up on?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There's some good choices there.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lordofultima

Well, you'll notice that there will be NO new games on this list, because while newer games are definitely good, my memories are much better. I respectfully disagree with the 3rd Strike comments, I liked fireballs playing less of a role by being able to be parried.

Listing the first HL was a choice I had to make, since it broke tons of ground unlike the second. Episode 2 was perhaps the best Half-Life to date, but it was by no means a full game that I'd consider putting on this list.

As for Vandal Hearts, I have no idea which battle I left off on, although I know that I also got stuck in the second game. Never finished either.

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Slunks

Mmmmmm, Vandal Hearts. Totally awesome TBS with a great cast and story.

I can dig it.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Alex_V

Interesting choices. I certainly endorse a bit of Half-Life (though the beginning sequence was at least in part inspired by Unreal).

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lordofultima

You're probably right, but as I had no interest in the first Unreal, this is the important piece for me.

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By KnightsofRound

I've played Half-Life 1 so many times I've actually completely lost count of how many times I've played through it from beginning to end.