Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

30. Zelda II: Adventure of Link

Nintendo Entertainment System, 1988

No Caption Provided
The Legend of Zelda captured the hearts and minds of a lot of kids back in the day, and I was no different. Well, I suppose falling in love with the game that everyone loved to hate (or hated to love) made it kind of an anomaly. It was nothing like its predecessor -- opting for side-scrolling, mind-numbing difficulty and a pretty strange narrative (compared to every other Zelda game anyway) -- but it was that in particular that grabbed me. As a child I watched my Mom obsess over the games many obstacles, and I avenged her in the end when I beat it just a couple years ago. Hooray happy endings.

29. Jet Moto 2

Sony Playstation, 1997

No Caption Provided
I had a hard time picking a competitive racing game at all for this list, but when it came down to it, the only one I could probably go back to today would be Jet Moto, the second release in particular. Weird future jet skis that go over all terrain (including lava) and a slightly sim feel to the handling pretty much sums this one up. It's like riding a roller coaster across tons of beautiful and varied scenery (at the time anyway).

28. Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos

Nintendo Entertainment System, 1990

No Caption Provided
Yeah, if you know of the Ninja Gaiden of today, you'll probably agree that it's hard, but you really have NO IDEA how hard it used to be (or maybe you do, I'm unsure). I used to pronounce it GAY-DIN, much like the rest of the American population (thanks mars), and quite frankly I wish the internet hadn't tainted me into believing it was not so, because that totally sounds cooler. But yeah, all I can remember is the ridiculous kitchen sink mentality this whole game took on, from level to level you'd find yourself in horrible challenge after another. Trying to battle off flying enemies while successfully avoiding bottomless pits on a windy mountain-top comes to mind.

27. Alundra

Sony Playstation, 1997

No Caption Provided
I never really owned a Super Nintendo, so you can excuse me for my ignorance when I throw around "Link to the Past" with absolutely no interest. I suppose you can say this was my Alundra to the Past, being that it plays and looks completely the same. You could jump however, so that made it cooler. The whole atmosphere of this game is a bit creepy, and it is pretty damn hard. It involves the completely realistic profession of  "dream/sleep/whatever-walking" and a church that is more like a cult. Definitely going to do a video or two on this game to shed some light on it, as most people probably looked over this gem.

26. Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart's Super Off Road

Nintendo Entertainment System, 1989

No Caption Provided
Here's a game in similar vain to RC Pro AM, where you take an overhead racing perspective and battle around a small circuit. The NES version springs to mind, but you can get it on pretty much any platform that was around in 1989 (I know, I uploaded like 7000 images for it). You'd pick your nationality and race race race, with breaks between each so you could purchase upgrades for your truck, such as better tires, handling, turbo, or whatever. The circuits get really tough really fast, and it feels like a never-ending game, and it might just be -- as it's very similar to an arcade game that's in my Sister's garage (I forgot the name). It would probably be more fun with one of those loose steering wheels that spin a thousand times, but I managed to have quite a good time with just the d-pad.

Look for 25-21 tomorrow, special thanks to Darro and EightBitWarrior for inspiring me to actually do this, or more appropriately to just rip off the idea.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

30. Zelda II: Adventure of Link

Nintendo Entertainment System, 1988

No Caption Provided
The Legend of Zelda captured the hearts and minds of a lot of kids back in the day, and I was no different. Well, I suppose falling in love with the game that everyone loved to hate (or hated to love) made it kind of an anomaly. It was nothing like its predecessor -- opting for side-scrolling, mind-numbing difficulty and a pretty strange narrative (compared to every other Zelda game anyway) -- but it was that in particular that grabbed me. As a child I watched my Mom obsess over the games many obstacles, and I avenged her in the end when I beat it just a couple years ago. Hooray happy endings.

29. Jet Moto 2

Sony Playstation, 1997

No Caption Provided
I had a hard time picking a competitive racing game at all for this list, but when it came down to it, the only one I could probably go back to today would be Jet Moto, the second release in particular. Weird future jet skis that go over all terrain (including lava) and a slightly sim feel to the handling pretty much sums this one up. It's like riding a roller coaster across tons of beautiful and varied scenery (at the time anyway).

28. Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos

Nintendo Entertainment System, 1990

No Caption Provided
Yeah, if you know of the Ninja Gaiden of today, you'll probably agree that it's hard, but you really have NO IDEA how hard it used to be (or maybe you do, I'm unsure). I used to pronounce it GAY-DIN, much like the rest of the American population (thanks mars), and quite frankly I wish the internet hadn't tainted me into believing it was not so, because that totally sounds cooler. But yeah, all I can remember is the ridiculous kitchen sink mentality this whole game took on, from level to level you'd find yourself in horrible challenge after another. Trying to battle off flying enemies while successfully avoiding bottomless pits on a windy mountain-top comes to mind.

27. Alundra

Sony Playstation, 1997

No Caption Provided
I never really owned a Super Nintendo, so you can excuse me for my ignorance when I throw around "Link to the Past" with absolutely no interest. I suppose you can say this was my Alundra to the Past, being that it plays and looks completely the same. You could jump however, so that made it cooler. The whole atmosphere of this game is a bit creepy, and it is pretty damn hard. It involves the completely realistic profession of  "dream/sleep/whatever-walking" and a church that is more like a cult. Definitely going to do a video or two on this game to shed some light on it, as most people probably looked over this gem.

26. Ivan "Iron Man" Stewart's Super Off Road

Nintendo Entertainment System, 1989

No Caption Provided
Here's a game in similar vain to RC Pro AM, where you take an overhead racing perspective and battle around a small circuit. The NES version springs to mind, but you can get it on pretty much any platform that was around in 1989 (I know, I uploaded like 7000 images for it). You'd pick your nationality and race race race, with breaks between each so you could purchase upgrades for your truck, such as better tires, handling, turbo, or whatever. The circuits get really tough really fast, and it feels like a never-ending game, and it might just be -- as it's very similar to an arcade game that's in my Sister's garage (I forgot the name). It would probably be more fun with one of those loose steering wheels that spin a thousand times, but I managed to have quite a good time with just the d-pad.

Look for 25-21 tomorrow, special thanks to Darro and EightBitWarrior for inspiring me to actually do this, or more appropriately to just rip off the idea.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#2  Edited By AgentJ

Its an interesting list, and i definately agree with Super Off road. Did you have a reason for choosing Gaiden 2 instead of 1 or 3?

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lordofultima

By the time Gaiden 3 game out I was sort of past the NES and the series in general, and Gaiden 1 didn't have the sweet climbing mechanic that really made the game for me.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By jakob187

Is there a reason for all the Top 30 Games of All Time lists popping up?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentJ

Fair enough. I bought Gaiden 1 for the VC and have enjoyed it when i've had the time to play it. You are right about the GODDAMNED diffuculty. It'd be cool to see another 2D gaiden right?

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lordofultima

@jakob187 Yeah, it's that crazy internet kleptomaniac mentality that makes you want to steal other peoples ideas.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lordofultima

@AgentJ yeah, I definitely wouldn't mind a "retro revival" in the same vain as Mega Man 9.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentJ
Usagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Usagi

I find correct pronunciation cool because it's, you know, correct!  :D

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Tordah

Ahh, I remember Super Off Road. Great game!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks
Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Discorsi

^^ the ds one is waaaay different though.....