#1 Posted by RoarkIndustries (26 posts) -

With the arrival of Dead Nation my interest in top-down shooters is piqued. Can anyone point me in the direction of a list of top games in this genre? Preferably this console generation.

#2 Edited by Gilsham (292 posts) -
#3 Edited by Informant (84 posts) -

GTA 1 & 2 are great top down shooters, Alien Swarm also comes to mind, Star Control 2 is a spacey humourous game in which the battles occur in top down spacecraft duels.

#4 Posted by Suicidal_SNiper (949 posts) -

Definitely give Alien Swarm a go if you haven't already. Best of all it's free on Steam!

#5 Posted by Gamer_152 (13977 posts) -

As Suicidal said Alien Swarm is going for free on Steam. Personally I still can't get enough of Geometry Wars 2 either.

#6 Posted by RoarkIndustries (26 posts) -

Thanks for the great advice. Looking forward to playing more of this genre

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9370 posts) -

I feel like there should be a distinction between top down dual joystick shooters (which is to say, dual joystick shooters), and vertical scrolling top down shooters (which is to say, top down shooters).

I was hoping to read about some similar games to Finalizer.

Oh dude, Finalizer.

#8 Posted by EVO (3785 posts) -

Super Stardust HD was made by the same guys that did Dead Nation, so you should give that a try. Everyday Shooter is also worth a look.

#9 Edited by cjmabry (485 posts) -

There was this one top-down online shooter that was installed with the original Everquest and it was sooooo fun, but I can't remember the name. Maybe someone can help me out, or I'll head over to the Can't remember the name of that game thread... To the internets! 

Not sure if it would still hold up but I remembered loving it. 

EDIT: Found it. It's called Infantry Online and apparently it's free now. Check it out!

#10 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9793 posts) -

Blops has a good one in it. Plus, you get a full-ass FPS to go along with it. 

#11 Posted by GilbertMordinAndSullivan (442 posts) -
#12 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

Geometry Wars 1 and 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Super Stardust HD

#14 Edited by TheHT (10318 posts) -

I used to play a ton of Raptor.

Got it on a shareware disc with Blake Stone, Duke Nukem 1 and 2, motherfucking Sango Fighter, and more.

#15 Posted by yo3man (1 posts) -

Outbreak (Zombie modes: Survival, Co-op, Versus) for SubVein, now called Mutant Factions just got released: http://subvein.net/?ref=yo3man

check it out!

#16 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4464 posts) -