Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Okay, really... REALLY short blog post this time, but essentially I'm torn.
I've really gotten back into the fighting games in a big way, so much that I'm going to be moving onto a SECOND game (like many of you are) in conjunction with the stalwart Street Fighter IV-ing I've been doing.  Up until this last week or so, I was pretty dead-set in getting King of Fighters XII when it comes out later this month and ONLY that game.  I had turned a blind eye and dismissed the current elephant in the room and everybody's favorite seizure inducing fighter, Blazblue.
Now, I've never played a Guilty Gear game and actually... other than a very little amount of Garou: Mark of the Wolves, I've never really played an SNK fighter before, either.  Still, cannot stop the fight train, and as of today, with limited funds, I have a very difficult decision to make, as both Blazblue AND King of Fighters have caught my eye.
So what should it be?  Should I get Blazblue and abandon KOF?  Should I stay the course, pick up KOF, and forget about Blazblue?  Should I suck it up and just get both when I have sufficient funds?
I'm asking friend and stranger alike to help me make this decision of decisions.  Any questions and input will also be greatly appreciated.

#1 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Okay, really... REALLY short blog post this time, but essentially I'm torn.
I've really gotten back into the fighting games in a big way, so much that I'm going to be moving onto a SECOND game (like many of you are) in conjunction with the stalwart Street Fighter IV-ing I've been doing.  Up until this last week or so, I was pretty dead-set in getting King of Fighters XII when it comes out later this month and ONLY that game.  I had turned a blind eye and dismissed the current elephant in the room and everybody's favorite seizure inducing fighter, Blazblue.
Now, I've never played a Guilty Gear game and actually... other than a very little amount of Garou: Mark of the Wolves, I've never really played an SNK fighter before, either.  Still, cannot stop the fight train, and as of today, with limited funds, I have a very difficult decision to make, as both Blazblue AND King of Fighters have caught my eye.
So what should it be?  Should I get Blazblue and abandon KOF?  Should I stay the course, pick up KOF, and forget about Blazblue?  Should I suck it up and just get both when I have sufficient funds?
I'm asking friend and stranger alike to help me make this decision of decisions.  Any questions and input will also be greatly appreciated.

#2 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -

I hope they have demos, same boat as you.

#3 Posted by solidsnake360 (99 posts) -

It's a hard choice, but Blazblue seems to be the "freshest" choice. I would probably get that first, mainly because the limited edition is, well, limited. You can always get KOF later.

#4 Posted by Akeldama (4247 posts) -

KOF 

#5 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@OwnlyUzinWonHan said:
"I hope they have demos, same boat as you."

Sadly, Blazblue doesn't have a demo and it's already out so I'm guessing there won't be one.
We can only hope KOF offers a demo, but I'm erring on the side that they probably won't.  If they would've done such, I'm sure this decision would be FAR easier.  Jerks.
#6 Posted by Ouroboros (344 posts) -

I always enjoyed Guilty Gear and I even kinda enjoyed Battle Fantasia as well - they make good games, good fighting games.  My vote is for Blazblue, get it and you wont be dissapointed - especially if you're looking for a collectors item in the near future as the game is pretty niche.

#7 Posted by ThomasP (1656 posts) -

BlazBlue if you have big enough balls to handle it.

#8 Posted by MrGetBonus (782 posts) -

I've never really played a KOF game mostly because the look of the game never appealed to me but I don't think you could go wrong with BlazBlue. I've really enjoyed it so far and plan to play much more of it. You get used to the madness that goes on.

#9 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@MrGetBonus said:
"I've never really played a KOF game mostly because the look of the game never appealed to me but I don't think you could go wrong with BlazBlue. I've really enjoyed it so far and plan to play much more of it. You get used to the madness that goes on."

See, although the character design in Blazblue isn't my favorite, the insanity and enthusiasm the game has for its own craziness is really attracting me to it.
On the other hand, I'm also down with the totally Street Fighter-esque feel of KOF.  Plus, that game has Terry Bogard.
#10 Posted by Atlas (2445 posts) -

Want an easy solution? Live in Europe, that way you only get KOFXII (goddamn Arc System Works).

Seriously though, wait until more reviews start coming in for KOFXII, watch both GB quick looks and do some thinking about the matter. Just remember that BlazBlue would be a very good counter to the seriousness of Street Fighter IV, but if you like the seriousness KOFXII is the way to go, even with pigs and pandas and fat French ladies freaking out in the background.

#11 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -
@Atlas said:
"Want an easy solution? Live in Europe, that way you only get KOFXII (goddamn Arc System Works)."
I recommend doing this. It works wonderfully for me.
#12 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

Me too ^ ^

II would opt for Blaz given your circumstance, it looks more exciting due to it's fighting mechanics.

#13 Posted by Lord_Fortengard (7 posts) -

BlazBlue, man. King Of Fighters just isn`t that good.

#14 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

BlazBlue would be my choice too.

#15 Edited by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -
@Lord_Fortengard said:
" BlazBlue, man. King Of Fighters just isn`t that good. "
Care to explain how it isn't good?

As for my choice, KOF XII, the fighting will be better in that game. BlazeBlue seems to be a good game but not my first choice.

(Edit) Another thing you need to know, OP,  is that many people on this site don't have any experiences with past KOF games. But for BlazeBlue, I'm pretty sure a lot of people played Guilty Gear. It'd be easy for most people to say BlazeBlue over KOFXII.
#16 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1915 posts) -

Hard to say considering KoFXII isn't out yet. Most people will say BlazBlue because its the current hot title though I can pretty much guarantee some people will sway to KoF when that releases.

Just take a step back and really consider what you want out of a fighting game and which one you'll play the longest. A lot of people are getting BlazBlue primarily on its flash factor and the fact that the initial shipment is only the limited edition; it's a great impulse buy technique. Did BlazBlue (pardon the unintentional pun) come out of the blue or were you aware of it and it just never held your interest until now? You would probably have more fun with the game you were dead set on getting. Personally, I'll be buying both but I know I'll most likely appreciate more BlazBlue because of all the hype I built for myself.

For you, I'd recommend BlazBlue at some point down the line and can't really say much about KoFXII.

#17 Posted by Pukit (33 posts) -
@ImperiousRix said:
 " Plus, that game has Terry Bogard. "
Dood! How else are you going to yell Terry Bogard things with me?!
#18 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Thanks for all the feedback so far.  Sadly, I'm a California lad so I don't have the decision made for me like a lot of you living in Europe.
I guess I should say I was aware of Blazblue long before it was released, but always kind of dismissed it simply because... well I did the same with the Guilty Gear franchise.  Granted, while Guilty Gear was hot, I wasn't much into the fighting genre, so that could explain my utter dismissal for Blazblue when I first saw it.
On the other hand, I have been following KOF XII for a while now, and was pretty dead-set on getting that and only that for a while.  However, actually watching footage from both (even the disparaging Quick Look of Blazblue here at GB) Blazblue is definitely in contention for spoiling those long-held plans.

#19 Posted by jakob187 (21670 posts) -

King of Fighters XII.  Don't listen to those BlazBlue fools.  In case you haven't noticed...that game seems to make them all a little cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs...

...minus the Cocoa Puffs.
#20 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@Pukit said:
"@ImperiousRix said:
 " Plus, that game has Terry Bogard. "
Dood! How else are you going to yell Terry Bogard things with me?!"

We'll always have Terry Yum Goong.
#21 Posted by Hairydutchman (1039 posts) -

I will decide for you;

King of Fighters

#22 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -
@Hairydutchman said:
"I will decide for you;King of Fighters"

Well, that was easy.
#23 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -
@Hairydutchman said:
" I will decide for you;King of Fighters "

#24 Posted by SlayerNoMercy (67 posts) -

marco rodriguez!!1

#25 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -

If you have a 360, get Garou Mark of the Wolves off XBLA, one of the best fighters still.

#26 Posted by Veldin (18 posts) -

I've played several KOF games and they are great, but I just picked up Blazblue and I'm loving it. The different mechanics it has are really fun.

#27 Posted by Captainlunchbox (445 posts) -

BlazBlue is certifiably excellent and it is entirely its own beast.

But you could get one and save up for the other one and buy it later. Just sayin'

#28 Posted by Luke (1609 posts) -
@ImperiousRix: Dude, if you're in California, you could try-out BlazBlue without too much effort.  Just go to one of the multiple arcades in SoCal or to the SFSU one in San Francisco.  I think they also have a cabinet in San Jose.  Hawaiian Brain's also has it if you wanna fly over to Honolulu really quick, which is only like a 5 hour flight :p 

Anyway, personally for me, BlazBlue is the shit!!  I also have pretty strong faith that KoF XII will not beat it's Metacritic score. 
#29 Posted by Kou_Leifoh (1891 posts) -

From what I heard,  KoF XII will be easier to get into than previous installments.

Most people who are into BlazeBule are either hella into anime or not that serious about fighting games. As for some of the fighting game fans playing the game, they're playing it to tied them over until KoF XII comes out.

#30 Posted by Althalus (13 posts) -

Got BlazBlue, will get KOF12.  I love fighting games, just wish I was good at them.