Transcending the interactive experience

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By coreymw

Anytime someone asks me what my favorite or most memorable experience is, I share this story. I wrote and posted it to Bitmob (Now VentureBeat), who then featured it on their front page. The number of people that came out of the woodwork to share similar stories helped to solidify my belief that we are all amazing people who care deeply about video games.

When a game delivers an experience above and beyond what the developers intended, the player enjoys a rare occurrence. I'm not referring to how a game plays, its story, or even its multiplayer offerings. What I'm talking about goes above and beyond those things. Sometimes a game can bring people together in special, interesting, and sometimes unexpected ways. It can offer those who are present an experience they will never forget.

Allow me to take you back to early 2002. I’m 16 and visiting an uncle. I didn't know it, but he had an Xbox and a copy of Halo: Combat Evolved. I had heard little about the Xbox and even less about Halo. Before I could shut the front door, he barked at me to “Sit down right here, hold tight, and enjoy”. These kinds of orders never came from him, so I was curious. There was also a box of left-over pizza, how could I not obey?

I followed his order and took my seat on the couch in front of the brand-new plasma television. He fired up the console, stuck the disc in the tray, patted me on the back, and said “Have a good night”. As I turned my head to follow him into the kitchen monks began to blast from the surround sound. The room was suddenly bathed in light emanating from the screen. My interest piqued 30 seconds into the first cut scene. I didn’t know much, but I knew it involved space, an ominous ring, and what appeared to be a tense situation. I was hooked.

I played from 9 that night until 8 the next morning. I managed to complete the campaign on Heroic difficulty. The next morning my Uncle walked in while I was thinking about the events that took place during my play through. I thought a moment and responded “I played the entire night, I want to play again, and I’m in love”. He laughed, and we spent the rest of the weekend playing through the co-op campaign on legendary. It was one of the best weekends of my life.

Now, you might be wondering why I decided to share that story. The first night I played Halo sticks with me to this day. I remember every detail as if it took place last night. Moreover, for the rest of 2002 until September when my uncle passed away, we spent every single weekend playing Halo. The game brought us together in a way I could never have imagined.

Somehow, every single time we played was better than the last. The game allowed us to bond in a way that I never thought possible. Until that point, I never thought of a game as a means to interact with people in ways other than multiplayer. It ended up being the perfect combination of playing a great game for the first time and in the right context. Everything about that weekend was perfect.

In late 2002, I decided to seek out others who shared my new found passion for Halo. After finding a couple of fan sites, I stumbled upon Bungie.net, home of the developers. Little did I know that within a few short months, the forums on that site would become my new home. A place to share, discuss, and geek out over anything Halo.

The community was small at the time. Everyone knew each other by name and we all got along swimmingly. In fact, a lot of people on the forums set up LAN parties that other forum members attended. This was a new concept to me. I never really considered taking my console and television to someone’s house and playing a game with people I’d never met. But somehow, it felt right. We all loved this game, and that’s all that mattered.

The community on Bungie.net came to fill the void left by my uncle's passing. All of these people shared my passion about the game, the story it told, future iterations, and Bungie itself. It was awe inspiring to be part of a group of people that felt the same way about Halo that I did. Even as I think about it now, I am welling up. It meant, and continues to mean that much to me.

When I think about what Halo has brought to my life, I get this immense feeling of joy, and even pride. It allowed me the opportunity to meet amazing new people, take part in a passionate community, and to connect with a family member I would never have bonded with otherwise. I can honestly say it has enriched my life far beyond any other game.

If and when you ever encounter a game that offers you what I’ve talked about, covet it and try to share with a friend, family member, or a complete stranger. Get people involved and share in the experience. It’s a rare occurrence and a great feeling that should be had by as many people as possible.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Sinusoidal

Your interest "piqued", it's "piqued". Not that interest can't "peak", but that's not what you mean. Your interest is "piqued" when it is caught or engaged. Your interest is "peaked" when it is at its highest possible level.

Drives me nuts...

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: I will make the correction. Sorry about that.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Yeah, not long ago I realized that although I may enjoy playing games in general now, the thing that I always loved about video games the most was the way it brought people around me together. My favorite memories are playing with other people, whether that be in real life or online. Sure I have a lot of memories of great times playing single player but the truly special thing about video games is their ability to become an arbitrary reason for people to sit down together and stream dopamine right into their system.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow: I miss being able to jab someone in the ribs or hear someone down the hall scream as I destroy them in the final seconds of a CTF match. I enjoyed everyone huddling around the pizza and drinks between matches to discuss the previous match and who would be on which team during the next match.

There are a few game stores near me that still have lan parties. They also have consoles set up so that you can go in and play with strangers. That's how I get my nostalgia fix these days.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@coreymw: I'll take the original Fusion Frenzy with a group of friends over any single player game this year, any day of the week. I think most of my addiction to video games was formed by connecting the hobby to the feeling of joy, when really the joy was most of the time coming from being around friends at the same time. Now when I play games by myself it feels like I'm chasing that enjoyment that I feel when I'm with friends playing games. The ceiling of single player enjoyment is below the floor of enjoyment of local multiplayer for sure.

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

What an awesome and touching story. I'll also never forget the shenanigans my brother and I pulled to even get an Xbox in the first place. I used crutches to get sympathy in line so I got moved to the front and got the last Xbox at the store. I still feel kinda bad... but not too bad. :P Sitting down and playing through the campaign with my brother, and the years that followed, were easily the best of my life. I'll never forget when my brother accidentally skipped the helmet-cam cutscene that happened before the Flood were revealed. It made everything that much scarier because we had absolutely no idea what was happening! XD

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow: We played thousands of hours of Fuzion Frenzy. If Microsoft were to re-release that game for Xbox One, I would drop the $400 immediately.

I feel the exact same way. My love for video games stemmed from having a good time with friends and family. Developers and publishers talk about being "connected" more now than ever before. That always makes me giggle. But in a sad way.

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrsmiley: He skipped the greatest reveal in my video game history? That entire level in the swamp was incredible. I cannot imagine getting to that point and not seeing the cam footage first. The sudden realization after the cut scene, even after seeing the footage, that you're in a room in a basement in the middle of a swamp with...something other than the covenant. It was terrifying.