Transfer digital games between 3DS's?

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay so with the implementation of Nintendo ID on the 3DS, does this allow you to transfer digital versions of games between 3DS's now? Are your purchases linked to your account now rather than locked to your system?

roc_553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By roc_553

No, purchases are still linked to a specific system. If you want to move digital games to a new 3DS, you have to use the system transfer tool (which transfers everything, if I'm not mistaken). On the plus side, the most recent update did abolish the limit on system transfers. It used to be a maximum of five times, now it is unlimited.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

I was under the impression that the Nintendo ID thing was going to solve this tied to hardware nonsense. So, so lame Nintendo. I love the 3DS, but Nintendo is still fucking up their online as usual.

I guess at this point I should stop being surprised when they screw up and just be glad when they finally get something right.

JNeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't buy a digital game until this happens.

Which is sad cause I really want to buy digital 3DS games.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

I was under the impression that the Nintendo ID thing was going to solve this tied to hardware nonsense. So, so lame Nintendo. I love the 3DS, but Nintendo is still fucking up their online as usual.

I guess at this point I should stop being surprised when they screw up and just be glad when they finally get something right.

Many people reporting on this update suggested that the introduction of Nintendo ID was an indication that Nintendo was thinking about abandoning the hardware lock, but AFAIK that was entirely hopeful speculation (and at any rate, nobody was saying this would become reality anytime soon, just sometime in the future).

Other than Miiverse on 3DS, the main thing that changed (at least that I noticed) was that eShop balance is now shared between 3DS and WiiU, which is nice if you get a lot of gift cards I guess.

I'm just hoping they'll harmonize the VC libraries for 3DS and Wii/WiiU; with the exception of N64 games (maybe) it doesn't make sense to not have the same stuff available on both (and if you're optimistic, buying one version should give you both).

All that said, IMO the only truly problematic case with the way it works now (i.e. the main deterrent to buying digital vs. physical) is what happens if your system is stolen or lost, since in that case "system transfer" is not available. I've heard anecdotes that Nintendo Support will help out in such cases but I have no idea if it is true; also it seems that this would be a pretty rare thing so the worry may be disproportionate. You can still re-download stuff from eshop if you delete it for space or something (and this history survives "system transfer").

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

that's been a problem with me with 3DS, some eshop games are really special and the DAY ONE DOWNLOADS ON A NINTNENDO PORTABLE. What am I living in the future? But yeah, had a close friend spill water on his 3DS and ruin in a bag had to buy a new 3DS and lost all his downloads. All of his downloads are tracked in through club nintendo account but not on his 3DS eshop.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

This whole download transfer thing is the reason I've been a little nervous to play anymore Pokemon X, because I bought a digital copy. I think I might buy a physical copy and just transfer my pokemon and start over. I really hate we have to worry about this shit. Nintendo is starting to get there, just very slowly though.