Trends in FPS games that need to die.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai
What trends do you absolutely hate in FPS games and like to see them dead?
This is my list:
1)  Re-spawning  enemies. 
2) Telescoped Eyed super soldier.  In their hands an assault rifle becomes a fully automatic sniper rifle.
3) Selective AI. When you are a part of a team/squad it would seem the only one the enemies want to kill is you. Do I have a big blinking pink neon sign that says " Fuck my team mate, Just Shoot me". As soon as I get my head out of cover I get the like a bizzilion bullets coming at me, effectively turning me into a human sieve.  
4) The Rambo syndrome. Again, if I am a part of a squad it would be nice if they actually get to kill an enemy AI one in while and not just bark at me for my inability to kill an entire army by myself. At least have them cover me while I try to set the charges or keep them under fire so I can flank them. 
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I'd like to see an end to all these "gun" thingamajigs in first-person shooters and see a return of the good ol' blunderbuss!  By God, if you can't kill 'em with one musket ball, then you don't deserve to live!

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hamst3r
@Mordukai: Those have pretty valid reasons for existing though. FPS standard: You're the ultimate badass, taking down endless waves of soldiers, all by yourself. They throw everything at you, the best they got and you still come through victorious.  That's how it typically plays out. :D

As for something I'd like to see removed from FPS gaming...: Human soldiers. I find it completely uninteresting to kill someone that's weaker than me. "Oh boy - I'm a special elite super-guy in a powered armor suit and they've sent a bunch of under-armored guys with ordinary guns to come stop me - ha ha ha! I have a fucking plasma rifle and they're shooting 9mm pistols at me!" It's boring.  A lot of people have said Far Cry and Crysis would have been better without the aliens...I disagree. What would have made those games better is getting rid of the human soldiers and putting in more aliens. Bigger aliens!
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

Regen health.  WTF is this shit?

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Tylea002
@KaosAngel said:
" Regen health.  WTF is this shit? "
Some legendary thing that allows for adaptable difficulty in situations, and gives a feeling of intensity, allowing bullets to do more damage and place a higher emphasis on cover. Its great.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By PureRok
@KaosAngel said:
All I have to say to anyone who says to get rid of that is they need to go play CoD I & II, Soldier of Fortune 2, etc. and have them come back and HONESTLY tell me that that's better. If you do tell me that, and you're honest, then you are obviously delusional. If you tell me that, and you aren't honest, well... then you'd be lying, wouldn't you?
daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By daz0608

Trigger points for enemy respawns

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
@PureRok said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
All I have to say to anyone who says to get rid of that is they need to go play CoD I & II, Soldier of Fortune 2, etc. and have them come back and HONESTLY tell me that that's better. If you do tell me that, and you're honest, then you are obviously delusional. If you tell me that, and you aren't honest, well... then you'd be lying, wouldn't you? "
UT2k4, CS 1.6, CS Source, TF2, etc...

/thread
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PureRok
@KaosAngel said:
"
@PureRok said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
All I have to say to anyone who says to get rid of that is they need to go play CoD I & II, Soldier of Fortune 2, etc. and have them come back and HONESTLY tell me that that's better. If you do tell me that, and you're honest, then you are obviously delusional. If you tell me that, and you aren't honest, well... then you'd be lying, wouldn't you? "
UT2k4, CS 1.6, CS Source, TF2, etc.../thread "
Funny how you list nothing but multiplayer games, and three bad ones to boot. The expected lifespan in a multiplayer game is really short to begin with. Regenerating health wouldn't have much of a point. Notice how I pointed out Single Player games, where you are tasked to survive the whole game, and not a matter of minutes.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KaosAngel
@PureRok said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
"
@PureRok said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
Funny how you list nothing but multiplayer games, and three bad ones to boot. "
Now you're being a Troll.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PureRok
@KaosAngel: How am I being a troll for pointing something out? Anyone who knows me knows I hate all of the Unreal games, and dislike TF2, and don't like 1.6.
nethanel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By nethanel
@KaosAngel said:
"
@PureRok said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
"
@PureRok said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
Funny how you list nothing but multiplayer games, and three bad ones to boot. "
Now you're being a Troll. "
Lets call everyone a troll and ignore all valid points!
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
@PureRok: UT2k4 reinvented arcade shooters and god knows how many community objects.  Who hates TF2?  1.6 is understandable due to the skills it takes.  Regen health ruined shooters.  Get shot at, hide...kill.  Do a lot of work taking someone down...he hides, and he's back at full power.  It's n00b fest.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By atejas
@PureRok said:
"
@KaosAngel said:
Painkiller did it right. Get health by killing enemies.
Damn, that game was fantastic.
Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Vod_Crack
@KaosAngel said:
I think I don't mind it in single-player games but I think it should be less common in MP. If you do lots of damage to someone, they should stay that way, not they get rewarded for running and hiding for ten seconds. Nothing beats the feeling of having very low health and still surviving the round in CS for example.
Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

Having throwable weapons (Grenades, Flash bangs etc.) as a separate weapon that I have to switch to to use. Just let me press a button and throw it whilst using my current weapon!

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
@Kung_Fu_Viking: CS plays just fine.  Thank you very much.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo

I don't mind that enemies re-spawn if you don't move forward (in something linear), it stops you just sitting behind one piece of cover until everybody is dead.

Regen health is alright, but I'd like to see a system in MP where your aim, run speed etc. gradually get affected (and stay affected until you die).  I rage in MP when you get the drop on somebody, open fire on them first and still end up losing.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking
@KaosAngel said:
" @Kung_Fu_Viking: CS plays just fine.  Thank you very much. "
I don't know why you took personal offence at that. Besides I have never played Counter Strike.
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Black_Raven

Re-spawning enemies isn't something that needs to die, it all depends on the design of the game, in a linear shooter like COD its used to keep you moving through the level. I'm also not completely against regenerating health, as long as its done right. I don't like the idea of getting owned then hiding behind a wall for 30 seconds to get all your health back.

I think the best health system would be to slowly regenerate your health about 1 quarter full and that's it, this way you avoid those awkward situations were your stuck behind cover with no health and enemies surrounding you leaving you with no option but to die and reload the game, and nothing kills immersion in a game more then "Game Over"...

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#21  Edited By Lazyaza

Personally I want to see more interesting environments, smarter ai and more original concepts more than anything else.  I'm sick of the old 'lone super soldier battling against a never ending army of  clones/aliens/nazis' trend.
First person shooters have always been one of my favorite genres but in recent years it seems like innovation and originality are just being completely side stepped in favor of making another 'halo' or another 'modern warfare' just because those titles sold well.

I can deal with having the basic gameplay remain the same from game to game, after all why fix what isn't broken? but still I want more games like what Borderlands seems to be doing, a competent looking shooter but the design of the game itself is much more in line with an rpg and the art style is just so freaking awesome and unique, something as simple as that can make all the difference.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By Ineedaname

I hate being the walking bulls eye in games it gets annoying after a while, not that I keep dying but just from a logical point of view.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Alexander
@PureRok: either way those titles are highly regarded and are still played today. I couldn't see regen health bringing anything more to Team Fortress 2, that health system works with that style of game.