Truly the WORST ad on a game site I've ever seen.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills

Go to 1up.com(without an adblocker) and watch the Dead Space ad. Not only is it the skin on the site, not only are there like 3 banners all over the place but the ad literally EATS THE HOME PAGE and jumps into a video. Wow, how on earth did that get allowed? And people thought GB's ODST were bad? Shit!
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Red

Yeah, I hate those ads that just straight-up don't let you click on the site.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By VWGTI

I really don't see what the big deal is. It doesn't obscure my view of the news stories.

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Inf225

Oh 1up... how the mighty have fallen...
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By gingertastic_10

Hey they're making money, even if it's insane.

DeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DeadMan

That was annoying, the whole page disappeared before I could click on the Demon's Souls review.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Kazona

I loled

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

They should rename 1up to whore-up.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By gingertastic_10
@Inf225 said:
" Oh 1up... how the mighty have fallen... "
How right you are.
Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Oriental_Jams

IGN had a wonderful one where a hand snatched away literally every part of the site.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12  Edited By Suicrat

Apparently 24 isn't old enough to view the video content. That's pretty bizarre.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Out_On_Bail
@VWGTI said:
" I really don't see what the big deal is. It doesn't obscure my view of the news stories. "
I'm not sure you're seeing the actual ad that's eating the page. It literally grabs the page and asks for your age. This is indeed a terrible advertisement.
VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VWGTI
@Out_On_Bail: 

I guess I don't let small stuff like this get to me. I can still browse the page just fine.
Kane_233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kane_233

Adblocker wins again.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

its not that the GB halo adds are bad, im just so sick of them everytime i watch a video i gotta watch that same stupid commercial thats absolutely nothing like the actual game

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rio

Putting aside how 1up has changed I am still generally baffled at how big of a deal people make about ads on websites.  Sure this is one of the worst ones out there, but I went to the site and instantly saw the close button and it was gone in less than a second.  Maybe I just have patience or simply dont get annoyed easily but this just seems like a dumb thing to complain about. 

People got along  for how long watching a series of  tv ads that they couldnt skip until the recent days of DVRs, how did they get through those terrible times? 

You could argue the times have changed, the better for consumers and the worst for marketing teams.  I will still fail to understand why people care enough to complain.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#18  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This reminds me of what Jeff was saying about ads on video game sites at the Giant Bomb PAX panel.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Damien

That was awesome.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By Shadow

wow...if I actually wanted to use that website for anything ever, I might be pissed.  As for now, I find it creative and pretty cool.
Shifty_Mcfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shifty_Mcfly

We're gonna blast your motherfuckin' eyes out, then you'll buy our shit! Whoo!

Vade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vade

NoScript > ads, apparently. Clean and pretty site.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AgentofChaos
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" They should rename 1up to whore-up. "
ZZZZZIIING! That was dumb. 

I hate the 1up ads that dont send you to the home page first, instead they send to an AD thats on the FUCKING HOME PAGE.
Feser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Feser

You mean to tell me that none of you were convinced to buy this game because of the ad? I don't know about everyone else, but when I see a name on a sidebar I immediately decide to go spend 60 dollars on that game; especially when the ad is really, really annoying.
unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By unclejohnny79

i dont see any add on there site

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By asurastrike
@Metal_Mills said:
" Go to 1up.com(without an adblocker) and watch the Dead Space ad. Not only is it the skin on the site, not only are there like 3 banners all over the place but the ad literally EATS THE HOME PAGE and jumps into a video. Wow, how on earth did that get allowed? And people thought GB's ODST were bad? Shit! "
Everyone who made 1up what it was, was either fired or quit. I've lost all hope for that site.
conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By conker

Hmm no ads here:S
SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SoothsayerGB
@Rio said:
" Putting aside how 1up has changed I am still generally baffled at how big of a deal people make about ads on websites.  Sure this is one of the worst ones out there, but I went to the site and instantly saw the close button and it was gone in less than a second.  Maybe I just have patience or simply dont get annoyed easily but this just seems like a dumb thing to complain about.  People got along  for how long watching a series of  tv ads that they couldnt skip until the recent days of DVRs, how did they get through those terrible times?  You could argue the times have changed, the better for consumers and the worst for marketing teams.  I will still fail to understand why people care enough to complain. "
For me(IMO), it's because I used to look somewhere else when watching TV.  It's shoved in our faces now.  The internet can be, much more direct the television.  So back in the day, people just twitched and looked at the cat outside.  Got up for a drink, told the kids to shut up.  But now people tune in to their monitors, fingers hovering over the home keys.  Immersing in a much more impulsive environment.  With Giant communities a click away.

Its easy to complain when its easy to complain.  Instead of talking to yourself, on the couch inside your den... Which can also be a lot fun.  If only I would stop encouraging myself to argue with I.
Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Branthog

People browse without adblockers?!

Also, I couldn't get the ad to show up. I reloaded a bunch of times and all I got was the XBOX flash banner at the top and the Halo and AT&T flash ads on the side.

Wasn't 1up bought and nearly shut down recently? It sounds like they'd do anything to stay afloat right no, so not surprising.

As to why people have a big deal with advertising? Because this is the internet. The internet did not start off as a giant commercial fuckland of shit. I know it's astonishing to imagine, but there was a time when people did stuff online just because they were passionate about it. Sometimes it actually cost them money to do it, but they did it anyway. They didn't try to turn every single fucking thing they did into a revenue-making endeavor and they didn't charge people and they didn't have advertising.

I don't have a huge problem with certain sites that provide truly unique content that requires a lot of time investment to the point that they need to make a living. Some things you can do part time as an enthusiast and there's no need to monetize it. But if you're making it your career -- generating content that people want -- you still have to eat. So ads on giant bomb -- go for it.

But in general, on the web, I'm tired of fucking giant advertisements and flash ads and animations and sounds and... ads of every fucking kind, frankly, taking up my screen real-estate for no reason. There is no reason for some fucking soccer-mom's "blog" where she blathers on about nothing to be "monetized".

My site has 80,000 members and is well over a decade old and I have never charged for it and I don't plaster it with ads. Would it be nice to become rich off the intarwebs? Sure. But it's also nice to have integrity and I'd rather keep that and not make any money. In fact, the project has taken about $30,000 out of my own pocket since about 1998 and I'm more than happy to have spent all that (not ot mention the thousands of hours writing code and doing various development and testing and customer service and community work on it).

It's just so fucking aggravating that EVERY FUCKING THING ON THE INTERNET HAS TO BE MONETIZED. Fuck that shit. You'd be fucking pissed if every page in a novel that you were reading had a giant block carved out of it to display a loud, animated, annoying advertisement, too. And you'd probably start to think "the author clearly is writing to sell ads and isn't juts writing to write anymore". Kind of how I feel about huge vast swaths of the internet, these days.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@AgentofChaos said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" They should rename 1up to whore-up. "
ZZZZZIIING! That was dumb.   I hate the 1up ads that dont send you to the home page first, instead they send to an AD thats on the FUCKING HOME PAGE. "
Dumb?  No it isn't.  I think it's a great idea for a rename. It's time to revamp & transform.  CHANGE! !!!!
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Linkyshinks

I really hate advertising of this kind..//. As far as 1up use, well they are on their last legs now, and most likely really need the advertising money.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By unsolvedparadox

That's too bad, I frequented the 1UP site until a tweak in their site design partially broke my account functionality (ProTip: if you allow users to choose a name with a space, you have to support them during site changes). 

It's a tough economy, I'm not defending super intrusive interstitial ads with skyscraper and banner components, but it's a sign of the times...