try this again greatists hits

Avatar image for deactivated-62acf8675bf9a
deactivated-62acf8675bf9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think 29.99 is too high for a ps3 greatest hits title.
seeing as the 360's are 19.99 do you think it would be wise for sony to drop down to 19.99?
i think so seeing as i only own a ps3 currently 10 bucks is alot of money these days

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

pounds dollars euros what are you on about?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dollars $

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

i wouldnt know, I only know about prices in asia and australia but hasn't sony's games always been priced slightly higher? Has been like this since the ps2 days from what I've been paying. I'm sure some business man back in Sony HQ drew a graph determining optimal price and quantity sales to maximise profit. Its beyond our hands as an individual consumer.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scooper

yo who cares about 10 do-lars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no greatest hits on all consoles have always been 20$ here in the us

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

Its about 3 days worth of food. Really when I work with my blood and sweat, I get to light my cigars with dollar bills right?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_A_Drain
@ROBdaMOB said:
"no greatest hits on all consoles have always been 20$ here in the us "

In that case you've been incredibly fucking lucky.

Anyway, no. Greatest hits or not, it still cost a developer around $28 to bring you a disc nowadays, possibly less if they work out a deal with the console manufacturer for having sold enough copies, or if the manufacturer waives the license cost for its greatest hits selling games (or first party titles, they obviously dont pay a license fee to themselves). It stands to reason they sell it to you at a profit, not a loss.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i guess thats the price i pay for buying a ps3 instead of 360?

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_A_Drain said:
"
@ROBdaMOB said:
"no greatest hits on all consoles have always been 20$ here in the us "
In that case you've been incredibly fucking lucky.Anyway, no. Greatest hits or not, it still cost a developer around $28 to bring you a disc nowadays, possibly less if they work out a deal with the console manufacturer for having sold enough copies, or if the manufacturer waives the license cost for its greatest hits selling games (or first party titles, they obviously dont pay a license fee to themselves). It stands to reason they sell it to you at a profit, not a loss. "
Hes right about profits. Imagine a normal distributed bell curve if you will. Greatest hits titles would most probably be right at the tapered end of its lifespan and thus all the manufacturer/developer..(interested parties)..etc care is to maximise whatever amount of sales they are able to make before the market is saturated or simple noone cares anymore. Can anyone answer if greatest hits titles are reprints or repackages or a bit of both?

or even to minimise losses to clear shelf space for the next wave of plastic controller add-ons. You must realise that store shelves(the space itself) are actually quantifiable in their profit margins.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain
@kitsune_conundrum:

Well, I posted the numbers before a bunch of times, but basicly of a full $60, the store usually (I say usually, obvsiously not every product is the same) sees 10% of that, the rest of the cost goes into printing, packaging, paying license fees to Sony/etc and royalties to actors etc, which while some may not believe it, including the stores 10% cut, comes to about $28 ish, and so the profit margin for publishers is around the same as DVDs percentage wise.

Anyhow, greatest hits games are usually the same code, just a repackaging (usually blander to save a few pennies on production cost) now, i'm not sure how it works here though, I don't know if the developer/publisher still pays the console manufacturer its 8 buck fee per disc, or if that is waived because the manufacturer has chosen it for the greatest hits selection.

Either way, it still costs about $14 to ge the disc to you, the store then takes $3 (10% of the newly lowered retail price) and that makes $17, so the publisher is raking in a far smaller percentage than it would be on the original retail game, so you're hardly being ripped off. Especially if they do pay the console manufacturers fee of 8 bucks a disc, in which case they make almost nothing per disc, and when you consider some games have music or actor royalties to pay per disc as well. They are essentially doing the consumer a favor and skimming a couple bucks at the same time (seeing as by this point the games production is paid for, that couple bucks is essentially free money), noones getting ripped off.

Edit: It may even just be that 8 dollar fee alone. Maybe Sony makes the publishers pay it for greatest hits releases, and MS doesnt, accounting for the 10 dollar difference.
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_A_Drain said:
" @kitsune_conundrum: Well, I posted the numbers before a bunch of times, but basicly of a full $60, the store usually (I say usually, obvsiously not every product is the same) sees 10% of that, the rest of the cost goes into printing, packaging, paying license fees to Sony/etc and royalties to actors etc, which while some may not believe it, including the stores 10% cut, comes to about $28 ish, and so the profit margin for publishers is around the............
those are actually decent percentages (if they're right). I worked in international distribution in electronics once and the margins they have are usually 100% at every change of hands. Smaller cheap items can have higher margin markups 50-200% while as ticket prices increase they usually go down (which makes sense if you think about it). A 60 dollar mouse you buy may only be worth $10 when it leaves the factory in china. I do know that a 22inch samsung monitor only had a 'pure' profit to the retailer of around 10-20$ (end of 2008, from where i live).
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain
@kitsune_conundrum:

They vary from game to game, and obviously first party titles make an extra 8 dollars, as Sony/MS/Nintendo all take a fee for the privelage of putting a game out on their consoles. Smaller publishers have to pay more as they dont deal in as much bulk, and have to rent factorites instead of owning them like the huge publishers etc etc. But the average is apparently that the publisher takes back around 50% of that 60 bucks, which if the info I have is correct is roughly the same percentage made on DVD movies.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By subject2change

Not all greatest hits titles are 30 bucks. They go 20-30. Burnout Paradise is 20 bucks.

kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats interesting, does DLC prices ever go down? In a non-promotional affair of course, because studios still are able to make decent money from there.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By trophyhunter

go to kmart all of those games have been $20 months before they were greatest hits
I went to kmart several months ago looking for cheap games and got mgs4, army of two and DMC4 all for $20 bucks each

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_A_Drain
@kitsune_conundrum said:
"Thats interesting, does DLC prices ever go down? In a non-promotional affair of course, because studios still are able to make decent money from there."

It's very rare.

I don't have a PS3 so im rarely on PSN but my housemate tells me things hardly ever go down in price on there.

And on the 360 MS have the arcade hits range (not necessarily greatest hits, but stuff they want to squeeze more sales out of for being cheap) which are reduced in price permanently. Most from 800 to 400 points but not always.

Then there are sometimes promotional offers, and very occasionally gold members get something like 10% cheaper.

But most things are the same price now as they were on release, they dont need to reduce the price really from a business standpoint because they dont have to worry about storing physical stock, nor the cost of printing that stock, just the hosting costs and obviously the console manufacturers take a cut too (can be as much as 30% so i'm told)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol poor kmart
how is kmart still around ?
is their a place somewhere where people go to kmart?
last time i was in kmart an employee got mad because i said they were going out of business soon.
he was genuinely pissed like he owned the store.
but i guess there still around right .
thanks for the heads up though i may need to make a stop for some 20$ games

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By penguindust
@Scooper: Well, when a game is priced $10 less for each greatest hits, that means you could get 3 titles for the price of a new release versus only 2 when the larger $30 price tag is applied.  More bang for your buck.

@ROBdaMOB:  I agree, I go to Wal-Mart or Target and it's always full of people.  I go to Kmart and it's near empty.  All 3 stores are inside a few streets of each other inside my town.