Ustrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Ustrup

Hi all you amazing Giant Bomb members.

I have for long time been wanting to get into some PC gaming again after a long hiatus where i have been playing on my PS3 or Xbox.

The thing that i am looking for is more specific games that me and my friends can enjoy when we are together with our laptops hanging out. My first thought was turn-by-turn based games but as to I have been away from PC gaming some time now, i have no idea what good ones are out there - do any of you have any recommendations as to which turn-by-turn based games are worth the look?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Frozen Synapse, I guess?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Yeah, Frozen Synapse is pretty sweet.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By inkerman

I honestly think Worms 2 is still an awesome turn based game. Also obligatory Civ V mention. That's turn by turn right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@PeasantAbuse said:

Yeah, Frozen Synapse is pretty sweet.

Frozen Synapse is a fantastic strategy game. If you don't know what it is, it's a turn based strategy game where you issue commands to soldiers of differing variety's. The commands made by all the players will both issue out at the same time and you see the result of your decisions. This goes on until either your run out of dudes, the enemy runs out of dudes or certain game conditions are met. GB did a quick look of it a while back.

Ustrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Ustrup

Awesome, Frozen Synapse is on the list thanks :-)

What about old board games such as Risk, i know that Risk have been portet to the PC of course, but are there any other ports worth checking out ?

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By MistaSparkle

There was this one fantasy game that GB did a quicklook of a while back that I've been trying to find. It was a lot like Advanced Wars or Fire Emblem turn based gameplay, and there were a bunch of different characters to control on the board. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me though. I'm pretty sure it was for PC.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8  Edited By PeezMachine

I'm going to second the vote for Worms. Worms Reloaded is cheap on Steam, and you can either play networked or hotseat (where you both play on the same computer). It's kind of the ultimate party game for PC. Greed Corp is a nice little gem, too.

Those are for smaller (~30 minute) games. For epic fare: Civ 5 or Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By PeezMachine

@MistaSparkle said:

There was this one fantasy game that GB did a quicklook of a while back that I've been trying to find. It was a lot like Advanced Wars or Fire Emblem turn based gameplay, and there were a bunch of different characters to control on the board. Can't remember the name of it for the life of me though. I'm pretty sure it was for PC.

Are you thinking of:

Guardians of Graxia, Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, Elemental, King's Bounty (The Legend or Armored Princess), Heroes of Might and Magic.

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By MistaSparkle

@PeezMachine: Wow I thought for sure one of the ones you listed would have been it...I remember in the QL two of the GB guys were playing local multiplayer, and it might have been with Brad and Vinny. Ryan might have been there instead, though. I really don't remember too well, but the game seemed pretty awesome. It was kind of like a chess game with monsters and heroes, and it was all polygonal fully animated stuff. Oh well. Thanks for trying to help!

Cerogravian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Cerogravian

When I saw the topic I immediately thought of older hotseat games. Particularly Emperor of the Fading Suns.

But I guess newer and faster would be more appropriate... If you think it looks interesting I would definitely recommend checking out Frozen Synapse, and also throw in another vote for HoMM - almost regardless of number, they are great for a couple of friends going at it.