• 400 results
TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@tycobb said:

@truthtellah: lol. I really despise the chat spam it creates. Pretty sure it's just an age thing, but I really do find it annoying. They basically turned emotes into punctuation as every sentence seems to end in some face.

I think it depends on the stream. Many discourage the abuse of emoticons. I think they can be fun, but preferences vary stream to stream. For example, Giant Bomb allows them but sets a limit at one of a single emote in a comment. I'd prefer something more like 3, but it's not a big deal.

For streams like Cosmo where he basically allows and even encourages overuse of emoticons, it can certainly get out of hand, but it's his chat. If he thinks it's fun, then more power to him. Many chats have different standards, and for me personally, I like a healthy balance. Someone like Banansaurus_Rex knows how to encourage a balance, as people know when it's time to unload with emotes and when it's just time to tell him to stop being trash at videogames. heh. Puncayshun loves for emotes and repeat messages to flood his chat, and at times, you don't actually see any real chat at all. LethalFrag is known to discourage emotes outside of instances where someone subscribes or something funny happens. I like that streamers have generally had the freedom to set their own preferred standards when it comes to emotes.

I completely understand and agree that it all depends on the channel itself. I don't necessarily have an issue there. It's mainly event streams that twists the knife. So many people and so much bullshit. Wouldn't mind being able to ask a question without it being lost or never being able to see a reply. I shouldn't have to connect with IRC just so I can actually scroll up to see if it got noticed.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@tycobb said:

@truthtellah said:

@tycobb said:

@truthtellah: lol. I really despise the chat spam it creates. Pretty sure it's just an age thing, but I really do find it annoying. They basically turned emotes into punctuation as every sentence seems to end in some face.

I think it depends on the stream. Many discourage the abuse of emoticons. I think they can be fun, but preferences vary stream to stream. For example, Giant Bomb allows them but sets a limit at one of a single emote in a comment. I'd prefer something more like 3, but it's not a big deal.

For streams like Cosmo where he basically allows and even encourages overuse of emoticons, it can certainly get out of hand, but it's his chat. If he thinks it's fun, then more power to him. Many chats have different standards, and for me personally, I like a healthy balance. Someone like Banansaurus_Rex knows how to encourage a balance, as people know when it's time to unload with emotes and when it's just time to tell him to stop being trash at videogames. heh. Puncayshun loves for emotes and repeat messages to flood his chat, and at times, you don't actually see any real chat at all. LethalFrag is known to discourage emotes outside of instances where someone subscribes or something funny happens. I like that streamers have generally had the freedom to set their own preferred standards when it comes to emotes.

I completely understand and agree that it all depends on the channel itself. I don't necessarily have an issue there. It's mainly event streams that twists the knife. So many people and so much bullshit. Wouldn't mind being able to ask a question without it being lost or never being able to see a reply. I shouldn't have to connect with IRC just so I can actually scroll up to see if it got noticed.

Sure. That's why I like when Giant Bomb allows their chatroom for streams. On Twitch, it really depends on the event. When you've got thousands and thousands of people, it can get crazy emote or text-wise. Emotes wouldn't change how crazy such event chats can get.

I do know there's a new feature where you can write someone's name, hit Tab, select their name from Chat, and it will show up in a black box for only that person to see. So, while everyone still sees your comment, it will stick out more prominently for the person you're talking to. The same applies to directly addressing the streamer. Put in their name, select it, and then they'll see it more prominently versus random comments.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@kingdanglerbk: the issue is that it also flags in game music. We already have vods of the International 4 used because it has Dota 2's music.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Ah. I wondered what that black box with my name was last night. Thanks for informing me on that.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@slag said:

Goodbye Twitch, it was fun while it lasted.

Yep. This is how Twitch dies. Nothing can ever be good on the Internet forever.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#207  Edited By TPoppaPuff

http://m.memegenerator.net/instance/53367349

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#208  Edited By eccentrix

The archiving stuff has never worked right for me, anyway. I clicked "Save Forever" on every video, even though I probably shouldn't've had to, since I checked the "don't delete stuff" option. I just cancelled my Turbo subscription, so at least the changes will have some impact.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

If something exists and is cool, chances are corporations will find a way to ruin it.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By GaspoweR

@mb said:

I wonder if Twitch and/or Google have been threatened with some kind of lawsuit from one or more of the major record labels or RIAA regarding usage of artists' music, or if this is more of a preemptive strike just in case they may get sued someday.

It might be preemptive since they also realized they (Twitch) are becoming a lot more prominent to the mainstream and their audience is rapidly outgrowing its niche so companies that are very protective of their copyright are starting to take notice.

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

"Hey you know what we should do next? Fuck free ascertainment of various artist through Twitch. Sounds good? Ok, good!"

That's basically what they're doing. I hate when rules and templates from past technology is implemented on new technology, where it doesn't fit at all.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#213  Edited By dr_mantas

Copyright is stagnant and weird. Unless they expect someone to license music at outrageous prices for their little gaming stream, which would be crazy. The purpose of copyright used to be ensuring a revenue stream, so that other people can't exploit your work until you at least recuperate the resources you put in, and possibly profited.

Nowadays it seems that copyright is just a way to aggressively protect something you hold some kind of ownership of, even if you didn't create it - like some stories of music being pulled from artists own youtube channels by their music label.

I suppose these Twitchers are earning some money from ads, but its probably peanuts. And if it's NOT peanuts, then hey - maybe license some music.

D3adend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By D3adend

I guess it's time to make a non-shitty knockoff?

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@crow13 said:

@patrickklepek: Would be nice to know how/if they plan on doing anything for games that have copyrighted music as their soundtrack. i.e. GTA, Rock Band, Audiosurf.

I can confirm they've muted everything in my recent archive that had licensed tracks. Namely, Burnout Paradise. Whole buncha bullshit, if you ask me.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

The problem comes in with how this is working and it being worked by robots and not humans. Did these companies really fire that many people that they need robots to do their work? Is it really that expansive to hire people to analysis videos to really see if they were really using music that they shouldn't use?

Copyright has become a form of desperateness from these companies to make sure they are making money and to keep a new form of entertainment down.

swat200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And so begins the mass exodus to ustream.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@virtualpolecat: He didn't say hes switching sites, he said hes considering it. His reason also seems entirely based around the two hour highlight limitation which doesn't seem to be the same thing everyone else is freaking out about.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, I wonder. Can game companies/musicians who's stuff gets flagged when they don't WANT it to be flagged (and have the rights, ref the Danny B stuff earlier) Sue for damage to reputation (either twitch or this third party company they are using to scan VODs) since it makes them look bad when they WANT to let people stream including their music?

ShadzKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even Twitch's own streams have been muted, what a joke

DocWattson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not saying I am for or against this, but God do most Twitch streamers listen to some horrible music. I'm all for that stoping. Putting an end to that inst worth losing games with in game music blocked though.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The entirety of copyright laws needs to be overhauled.

courage_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do I get the feeling this is all part of an elaborate scheme to get Luke to fall to the dark side?

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Christoffer

I'm kind of surprised that they haven't done anything about the use of copyrighted music on Twitch before. People who make a living as streamers can just blatantly run entire playlists of music that production companies would have to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to license.

Don't get me wrong, I will miss the music in the streams I follow if they ever get rid of it. But it have always been a "wait, what, you can legally do that?" -detail on Twitch, for me. And the answer is, you can't, I guess.

The archiving stuff wont affect me in any way but I hope the Speedsters will find a way around it. Couldn't they just pull the VODs and put it up somewhere else?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#229  Edited By crithon

I can't help but wonder how high of a volume must it be to classified as muted? Like the game is playing sound effects, I'm commentating and maybe my sister is playing Lion King Soundtrack for her daughter to dance to. I feel that might be enough to warrant a "copyright infringement."

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#230  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

And I was just coming to terms with Twitch's miserably poor performance in my region as well as the myriad of little annoyances. Some of the streamers there are just too good to ignore what has been a very flawed service already. This'll likely put the nail in the coffin though.

Oh well, companies grow up fast. Time to find the next thing that's not afraid to let run things a little wild for a while.

reckreckreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't imagine censoring in-game audio beyond music will stick. It's like shooting yourself in the foot. Is this a result of the Google thing or has Twitch had significant legal issues in the past from the music industry?

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#234  Edited By MudMan

Sooo... where does this put Ustream against Twitch? Since that's the other streaming site that plugs in easily to consoles, does that now give them a competitive advantage by allowing safer archives and less copyright hassle? Or are these already Ustream caveats?

EDIT: I also get the feeling that Twitch will be more vulnerable to user migration than Youtube is. I mean, I've never actively navigated to Twitch to browse channels, I generally get there through streams set up elsewhere (because Twitch will use any excuse to warp you to their site and out of wherever it's embedded). I get the feeling that if GB's Twitch streams suddenly started being hosted elsewhere I wouldn't even notice.

OverlyBombed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By OverlyBombed

Complaining about Google/YouTube/Twitch haivng to abide by these new methods to enforce and detect Copyright Infringement are people who don't seem to understand how the system works in the first place.

Sure Hitbox is an alternative but how long until they abide by the same rules or shutdown due to being able to not caring their own weight for much longer (as Twitch previous mentioned). It's an act of keeping the business stable and like it or not it comes with a price.

I believe that this system will come with improvements and won't be nearly as sensitive for members who are allowed to use the bells and whistles of broadcasting music. For now, it's a work in progress for all parties.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#236  Edited By coolarman

Twitch is now officially a part of google.

Well there is hitbox.tv in terms of video game only streaming sites. I wonder how many streamers might migrate over there

EDIT: The part of the statement that makes it the most insulting is where they state that they want to "help consumers" by implementing this feature. Oh yes help us by taking away the music in our streams. I wonder what Trent Reznor would think about this

Fuwano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no sympathy for streamers who play music outside of games (e.g., Pandora, Spotify, etc.) but in-game music and the archive issue seems pretty ridiculous.

dsi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sessh said:

30 minute auto-mute even if there's only a few seconds of copyright infringing music? That's just dumb.

I think this is my favorite part, because if you can actually ID what is being infringed you can easily get the length of the content in question.

@gaff said:

Devil's Advocate here: Good for the session musicians. They get far too little recognition for their work and hopefully can get their share of the performing rights so they can eke a living.

Instead their music will never be heard outside of people who already know them because everyone will be too terrified to actually show it to other people.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#239  Edited By MachoFantastico

Whilst I've never streamed anything before, these new policies seem bizarre to me and will only go to hurt Twitch's image at the exact same time they're about to be bought by Google, really odd business practice. It certainly sounds like Google have forced these policies on Twitch because they've been poorly implemented.

It sucks for those who dedicate there time and effort to stream quality content. Hopefully folks find a new home.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I understand there need to do stuff like this legally, but I dont understand the timing. Why not wait until EMI or sony or whoever comes at you saying knock that shit off.

Better archive those unarchived Giantbomb twitch streams before they get dumped from the backlog.

Captiosus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This story makes me glad I never got into Twitch and also serves as a great example that our copyright laws are a joke. Slow to adapt, most copyright law is still based on 19th and 20th century methodologies. Even DMCA, the "newest" addition to the 17 USC, is positively archaic when its origination is compared to today's modern technologies. The government continually demands new jobs and new tech innovations while supporting this idiotic copyright law status quo that continually hinders tech companies' abilities to innovate. It's mind boggling.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By fattony12000
Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Rasrimra

Is there an alternative to Twitch that let's Streamers monetize their streams?! I hope you know of one?!

Is it Hitbox? If we want people to switch sites we would have to act fast to have any form of impact.
Surely there has to be an alternative... wtf.

Avatar image for theinvinciblemark
theinvinciblemark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My new goal is to sing into the microphone and see if I can trigger a mute by doing my best to imitate the singer.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#245  Edited By mike

@dizzyhippos said:

I understand there need to do stuff like this legally, but I dont understand the timing. Why not wait until EMI or sony or whoever comes at you saying knock that shit off.

Better archive those unarchived Giantbomb twitch streams before they get dumped from the backlog.

If EMI or sony or whoever has grounds for a lawsuit, they don't need to ask anyone who is infringing on their rights to stop, they can simply file the suit. There is also no way of knowing whether these changes in Google and Twitch are a result of some back room talks between music industry attorneys and Google attorneys - part of the deal could be that this system is implemented, and it's automatic, or they're going to sue.

For sweeping changes like this to happen seemingly without notice means that Google was either compelled to do so under threat of a suit, or they were reasonably sure that they were going to be sued and decided to get proactive instead of waiting for the suit to be filed.

That brings up an entirely different issue which is Google's responsibilities to their shareholders. If Google didn't do anything about this and ended up getting sued and lost, resulting in possibly billions of hundreds of billions of dollars in fines being paid out, their shareholders would be pretty displeased and some heads would have to roll.

It does suck but I think many people saw this coming a long time ago, I'm more surprised that it didn't happen earlier.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are DEFINITELY going to have to backpedal on this or I can't possibly see anyone continuing to use Twitch as their primary streaming service. These terms are just too damn restrictive. The fact that people are already scoping out replacements should tell them something.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By Rasrimra
@mb said:

@dizzyhippos said:

If EMI or sony or whoever has grounds for a lawsuit, they don't need to ask anyone who is infringing on their rights to stop, they can simply file the suit. There is also no way of knowing whether these changes in Google and Twitch are a result of some back room talks between music industry attorneys and Google attorneys - part of the deal could be that this system is implemented, and it's automatic, or they're going to sue.

For sweeping changes like this to happen seemingly without notice means that Google was either compelled to do so under threat of a suit, or they were reasonably sure that they were going to be sued and decided to get proactive instead of waiting for the suit to be filed.

That brings up an entirely different issue which is Google's responsibilities to their shareholders. If Google didn't do anything about this and ended up getting sued and lost, resulting in possibly billions of hundreds of billions of dollars in fines being paid out, their shareholders would be pretty displeased and some heads would have to roll.

It does suck but I think many people saw this coming a long time ago, I'm more surprised that it didn't happen earlier.

There has to be some way to hold these copyright enthusiasts responsible for their actions. They are ruining all sorts of things on the internet for the sake of artists potentially losing money, even hurting the artists they claim to protect in the process!
This can't be a one way conversation!

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Giefcookie

As long as Mario party still can be played on Giant Bomb I'm okay with anything!

Stop playing Copy right material during a profitable video, you are breaking the law - IMO

So people should stop playing games on Twitch? Because its not just copyrighted music being flagged, its also game sound tracks. Stuff like Crypt of the Necromancer OST music is getting flagged, and not even by the creator of it.

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By Rasrimra

Have copyright protection groups ever done anything beneficial to society? I don't remember anything that they did having a positive impact. They have been only trouble for legitimate users, ruining some people's lives even to set examples that didn't do shit, and making everyone paranoid and paying lawyers. Even the copyright groups themselves have been found to be infringing copyright laws time and again.

Do we even need those people, or are they only there to pay themselves?
I think the UK is right. Copyright has gone too far.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#250  Edited By Bollard

@somejerk said:

A speedrun of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! was muted entirely as a result of this.

The current Vice City World Record is silent because of this:

I forgot the embed doesn't work on GB. It's the first highlight there, or this link: http://www.twitch.tv/ractrot/c/4836446

@soniking said:

Was expecting more from this article but its about the same effort that Kotaku put into their hastily researched article. I'm willing to bet there is more as this all develops but as it stand some of the bigger issues being simplified into one sentance is bugging me. Excited to see more Patrick! Maybe a dumptruck of some speedrunners.

I'm going to be looking into something bigger, but we'll see. What did you want to see expanded?

If you do decide to interview some speedrunners, I can contact AdamAK and see if he is up for it? Seeing how this is really bad for GTA speedruns, he might be a good candidate being the biggest GTA name (he even got a mention in Twitch's 2013 year report).