Two devs have ported GC to Wii U - Nintendo is slacking.

doomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

No links etc. will be given in this thread, but at any rate, the homebrew developers have not released anything publicly. So even if you wanted to use this yourself, you couldn't. It is true though. Two homebew people each made their own GameCube-on-Wii U program. Funnily enough, they hate each other. Obviously, they worked on their own program completely independently from the other. If one person working in their spare time with no access to internal Nintendo documents can make it happen, what is Nintendo's holdup?

Where is the Wii U port of Super Smash Bros. Melee or The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess? Sure, we have The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker coming to Wii U, but that's one game. A strong Virtual Console library would do a lot of good for Nintendo, considering that they have such a rich back catalog. So what's the holdup? Do you think GameCube on the Virtual Console will be announced around E3?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Does this mean we're one step closer to an HD collection of the Tellius Fire Emblem games?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By AndrewB

The same reason I can't buy some of the better Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, NES, SNES, N64, or hell, for that matter, DS and possibly even Gamecube games for my 3DS.

Nintendo has this fetish for leaking out only the handful of games they deem worthy, and even then sometimes they hold those back behind stupid incentive programs (see- the 3DS ambassador's program).

In other words, I really don't have an answer besides maybe they like to save their mindshare for rehash sequels rather than give you the games you want? Oh, and no, I don't think GCN will make it to console. I think efforts to re-release those games would only continue along the lines of the Wii-Gamecube disc releases, and even then, I think Nintendo is done with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think GC VC could happen eventually but not anytime soon. Seems like Nintendo is still trying to sort the VC out.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They don't care.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Please understand.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Because Nintendo lacks an acrimonious personal rivalry to spur them on.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

Does this mean we're one step closer to an HD collection of the Tellius Fire Emblem games?

Yes, one step closer to never. Ugh... Nintendo needs new management. Preferably it gets bought buy a company that does have employees that use the internet.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Have blind-faith.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@nictel said:
@video_game_king said:

Yes, one step closer to never. Ugh... Nintendo needs new management. Preferably it gets bought buy a company that does have employees that use the internet.

That joke doesn't really work anymore.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@nictel said:
@video_game_king said:

That joke doesn't really work anymore.

I seriously doubt that they use the internet in any way remotely close to how say someone in the western world does.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King
Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nictel

@video_game_king: Why racial? Why an issue? Why not just a cultural difference? The games I like are being made in a country where there is a different internet culture than where I live. It annoys me as I really would like it to be different.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

Why an issue? Why not just a cultural difference?

Because you've explicitly stated (or at least so heavily implied) that this is a negative thing?

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

Hey it doesn't have to be. We're talking about Nintendo here, not Japanese people, most of whom use the internet just fine. Nintendo, from friend codes to the WiiU, have never been as good as Sony or Microsoft at utilizing the internet. The WiiU is better than what the Wii was, but it's still lackluster in some respects. I think nictel was saying that Nintendo employees don't read the forums or listen to their fans when they say what they want. And that's fine, if that's what Nintendo wants to do, but they are missing out on a great way to know what their customers want from them.

As for the topic on hand, Nintendo are a curious company - they hold onto their IP very tightly, even when its not being used. Even when they could make ports and make money, they seemingly do not want to. I am not sure why. Maybe they think ports of old games won't sell? Maybe they have a philosophical argument against it, like the original man behind Final Fantasy, who never wanted to do a remake so long as it was possible to play the original games. He's gone from the company now, left after Final Fantasy IX, so Square-Enix is busy making remakes and ports.

Who knows? Nintendo seems to be, like a lot of old companies, controlled by people who were very used to doing things a certain way, and are starting to lose themselves in this fancy 21st century gizmo filled electronic hell-world we call home. I think they may need new management. Every company, no matter how prestige-laden, needs the occasional shaking up.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Alexander

It would already exist via the Dolphin emulator.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Those games aren't pretty enough to benefit from any sort of HD upscaling. Then again, considering how much PoR and RD go for on Amazon/Ebay nowadays, a re-release wouldn't be a bad thing by any means.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater:

Radiant Dawn is. And wouldn't that be the point? To update the graphics so they look much better, maybe standardize the HUD between the two games?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Bocam
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

But it's a fact. Most Japanese don't understand how the internet works. Just look at how Japanese indie developers view Steam

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. One part Internet, one part not knowing the issues.

I'm a little biased as dealing with companies who hold the mindset "digital distribution is equal to piracy" (out of sheer ignorance) gets really tiresome

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hailinel

@nictel: And like that, you turn itinto "Us vs Them" while declaring unilateral superiority. Congrats. Now why should I take you seriously?

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

We start with the utter hypocrisy of people getting angry at Nintendo for making the same game over and over again bitching out Nintendo for not spending the time or resources to do HD ports of a bunch of ten year old games. Now we're making the same "Japan doesn't understand the Internet" arguments that stopped making much sense three or four years ago. This thread is bizarre.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: You're reading things that are not there. I spoke about me personaly and at no point did I declare any superiority..

@video_game_king: I see complicated friends systems and having the gigantic library of old Nintendo games not being digitaly available as a negative yes. I also believe the company would fair better if they did. But I feel that I should explicetly say that its my opinion. I also understand that Japanese internet culture is different. Not better or worse just different. I believe the same background influences Sony. However you see they (now) realize that different markets have different wishes.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

@hailinel: You're reading things that are not there. I spoke about me personaly and at no point did I declare any superiority..

It's actually kinda easy to see. Hold on:

You were using this to describe a trend that you find to be negative in Japanese use of the Internet. It also implies that the Western world does not have the same Internet problems (since the West is doing things differently). Because they do not have this negative thing attached to them, Western culture is superior to Eastern culture in this regard, at least if I followed the reasoning from this series of statements properly.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

It's actually kinda easy to see. Hold on:

You were using this to describe a trend that you find to be negative in Japanese use of the Internet. It also implies that the Western world does not have the same Internet problems (since the West is doing things differently). Because they do not have this negative thing attached to them, Western culture is superior to Eastern culture in this regard, at least if I followed the reasoning from this series of statements properly.

Pretty much this. A gross generalization of an entire population being labeled as inferior based on your own personal biases.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Corwag

Let me rebuy Cubivore already, please. My copy got lost in a house-move years ago and I don't want to rebuy a copy for the $$$$$ online. :(

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#31  Edited By LordAndrew

@nictel said:
@video_game_king said:

Zynga will save Nintendo.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By DarthOrange

They like to pretend they are Disney. (GIVE ME HERCULES ON BLU-RAY DAMN-IT!)

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nictel

@hailinel: Ok if you believe I think a whole culture is superior over how they use their internet then we see things quite differently. Also can we not say we dislike something any more?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

@hailinel: Ok if you believe I think a whole culture is superior over how they use their internet then we see things quite differently. Also can we not say we dislike something any more?

It's what you implied. I'm also not the only one that saw it that way.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nictel

@hailinel said:

@nictel said:

I don't see how I did that, it wasn't my intention anyway. Maybe I should have also mentioned all the problems I have with the western use of the internet.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TruthTellah

Come on guys, you don't need to gang up on @nictel. He's trying to explain his point, and you're just browbeating him.

What he seems to be trying to say is simply that he doesn't like how Nintendo may be behind the times in some ways regarding the Internet and gaming. That isn't an uncommon perception, and it's something we can discuss. Now, I would say that this has far less to do with Japanese culture or how the general population uses the Internet and more to do with Nintendo's consistently rigid and old-fashioned nature which has shown both its advantages and disadvantages over time. In this case, it may be considered a bit of a disadvantage. Though, people are free to disagree on the specific merits of how they do business. I would just submit that no company is perfect and we should be free to disagree with some of the ways they conduct themselves.

Let's give him a chance. I truly doubt his point is simply that "Western culture is inherently better", and since he appears to be trying to explain himself, can we not give him the benefit of the doubt for a second to allow for him to convey what he really means? We're on the Internet after all. It isn't hard to imagine these cold words losing some nuance and perpetuating misunderstandings.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By damodar
Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Willza92

Hey guys my best friend is a Nintendo so you know, I'm not racist or stuff.

Also, if Nintendo did release there best games on Wii U VC, then they would be giving people a good reason to own a Wii U and undo all the hard work they've done over the past two years.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nictel said:

@hailinel said:

@nictel said:

I don't see how I did that, it wasn't my intention anyway. Maybe I should have also mentioned all the problems I have with the western use of the internet.

You gave them an extremely convenient outlet for them to assault your credibility, and while I disagree with their assessment of your statements you could have worded them more thoughtfully.