Two-thousand Great!

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

Rather than going in the predictable direction, I went completely insane. I hope you understand. I cleverly disguised perfectly average awards with delicious implications. Enjoy.

Art Design Waffles

Winner: Mirror's Edge

Kick that dude!
Kick that dude!
I thought I had seen it all, that is, until I saw Mirror's Edge. The game may be undeniably frustrating, but one thing's for sure; it's pretty. The moderately designed structures filled to the brim with high-contrast colors really make this game stand out from just about everything else. That combined with the sensible awareness of the main character Faith throughout the game help seal this deal.

Atmospheric Oreo

Winner: Fallout 3

Wonderfully Depressing
Wonderfully Depressing
While I may have bickered on and on about how much better Oblivion is than Fallout 3, and while I may have dreaded trotting the many in-game miles through torn wasteland that I did, the atmosphere is unmistakably sound. Everything that you'd expect about a post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland is here, from the giant heaps of rubble to the remnants of what were a lush offering of trees -- it's all put into place to suck you into this depressing world. Well, it worked.

Sound Design Sandwich

Winner: Dead Space

Very scary. Seriously.
Very scary. Seriously.
People say this game isn't scary. People are crazy. If you're playing Dead Space with a pair of headphones, expect to be flipping out on a fairly regular basis. The way the ambiance carries itself as you're exploring this spacestation-gone-wrong is almost punishing. You never really ever feel "safe," as there's all sorts of devil-worshiping whispers and an over=abundance of pipes clanking around. This all works to the games advantage, because just when you think everything's chill, you're getting gang-raped.

Storyboard Candycane

Winner: Lost Odyssey

Emo stuff.
Emo stuff.
While the other games in this category exhibited pretty amazing stories, nothing quite grabbed me in the way Lost Odyssey did. An immortal who is cursed with living through countless generations of people, his family and friends included. It's all masked with a fairly generic 'save the world' rpg stereotype, but look deeper into Lost Odyssey and you'll find quite a bit of soul. The strange thing about the story though, is that the real tear-shedding moments of the story are actually told through short stories that you read. Go figure.

Soundtrack Supreme

Winner: Bionic Commando Rearmed

Mr. Rad
Mr. Rad
A fierce category this year, the music. It pained me to make a decision, as I love Street Fighter music, and boy I love Dream Theater-esk prog pieces, but if we're talking about a whole soundtrack here, Bionic Commando Rearmed stands just a step above the rest. The amazing remixed music of the original NES game somehow manages to be more catchy and awesome than the original pieces, all while giving me this strange urge to get up and dance. If you'll excuse me.

Failure French Fries

Loser: Metal Gear Solid 4 (Akiba)

Cooler than Akiba.
Cooler than Akiba.
This is maybe a controversial pick, being that the other two "failures" are a bit more game-breaking, but I went with Metal Gear Solid 4 anyways. Not just for Akiba, and definitely not because I hate the game -- because I LOVE it. Maybe I love the Metal Gear series a little too much, which causes me to go into rage mode whenever I think about some of the story choices Kojima made in this LAST installment of the Solid series. I will say that Johnny Sasaki is sort of the root of my problems, but there's just a lot wrong with the story in my opinion, just the little things that piss me off. I'm not going into detail now, as then I'd spoil the entire game for you.

Downloadable Milkshake

Winner: Castle Crashers

red = lightning?
red = lightning?
Sure, my weapons and animal orbs were deleted randomly on three separate occasions. Sure, I couldn't play online with anyone but EightBitWarrior without the game crashing. But this game is just so awesome and full of charm, that I can't NOT make it the Download of the year. I just can't. I'd rather deal with the game-breaking flaws then deal with the ridiculously difficult challenge rooms in Bionic Commando Rearmed. Just sayin'.

Flavor of the Year

Winner: Burnout Paradise

Caption...word.
Caption...word.

Ahh, the prized possession, the game o' the year. Many applicants for this position, but only one man (game) for the job. I've played Burnout Paradise for a large portion of the year, pretty constantly actually. I still haven't got my 100% completion yet, and yes I'm working on it. I've been such a huge proponent of this game since day one, and it's good to see that people are finally jumping on the wagon, a whole year after it's released.

How can you make Burnout better? Put it in an open world! Make multiplayer matches a cinch to jump in and out of, let me track all my stats and collect/complete everything in my path! The sense of speed, the ultra-responsive steering, it's all just amazing. There's no restart function, there's no menu to choose events from. Get over it. It's still the best game this year. And if they release another version of Paradise next year, it could very well repeat history.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

Rather than going in the predictable direction, I went completely insane. I hope you understand. I cleverly disguised perfectly average awards with delicious implications. Enjoy.

Art Design Waffles

Winner: Mirror's Edge

Kick that dude!
Kick that dude!
I thought I had seen it all, that is, until I saw Mirror's Edge. The game may be undeniably frustrating, but one thing's for sure; it's pretty. The moderately designed structures filled to the brim with high-contrast colors really make this game stand out from just about everything else. That combined with the sensible awareness of the main character Faith throughout the game help seal this deal.

Atmospheric Oreo

Winner: Fallout 3

Wonderfully Depressing
Wonderfully Depressing
While I may have bickered on and on about how much better Oblivion is than Fallout 3, and while I may have dreaded trotting the many in-game miles through torn wasteland that I did, the atmosphere is unmistakably sound. Everything that you'd expect about a post-apocalyptic nuclear wasteland is here, from the giant heaps of rubble to the remnants of what were a lush offering of trees -- it's all put into place to suck you into this depressing world. Well, it worked.

Sound Design Sandwich

Winner: Dead Space

Very scary. Seriously.
Very scary. Seriously.
People say this game isn't scary. People are crazy. If you're playing Dead Space with a pair of headphones, expect to be flipping out on a fairly regular basis. The way the ambiance carries itself as you're exploring this spacestation-gone-wrong is almost punishing. You never really ever feel "safe," as there's all sorts of devil-worshiping whispers and an over=abundance of pipes clanking around. This all works to the games advantage, because just when you think everything's chill, you're getting gang-raped.

Storyboard Candycane

Winner: Lost Odyssey

Emo stuff.
Emo stuff.
While the other games in this category exhibited pretty amazing stories, nothing quite grabbed me in the way Lost Odyssey did. An immortal who is cursed with living through countless generations of people, his family and friends included. It's all masked with a fairly generic 'save the world' rpg stereotype, but look deeper into Lost Odyssey and you'll find quite a bit of soul. The strange thing about the story though, is that the real tear-shedding moments of the story are actually told through short stories that you read. Go figure.

Soundtrack Supreme

Winner: Bionic Commando Rearmed

Mr. Rad
Mr. Rad
A fierce category this year, the music. It pained me to make a decision, as I love Street Fighter music, and boy I love Dream Theater-esk prog pieces, but if we're talking about a whole soundtrack here, Bionic Commando Rearmed stands just a step above the rest. The amazing remixed music of the original NES game somehow manages to be more catchy and awesome than the original pieces, all while giving me this strange urge to get up and dance. If you'll excuse me.

Failure French Fries

Loser: Metal Gear Solid 4 (Akiba)

Cooler than Akiba.
Cooler than Akiba.
This is maybe a controversial pick, being that the other two "failures" are a bit more game-breaking, but I went with Metal Gear Solid 4 anyways. Not just for Akiba, and definitely not because I hate the game -- because I LOVE it. Maybe I love the Metal Gear series a little too much, which causes me to go into rage mode whenever I think about some of the story choices Kojima made in this LAST installment of the Solid series. I will say that Johnny Sasaki is sort of the root of my problems, but there's just a lot wrong with the story in my opinion, just the little things that piss me off. I'm not going into detail now, as then I'd spoil the entire game for you.

Downloadable Milkshake

Winner: Castle Crashers

red = lightning?
red = lightning?
Sure, my weapons and animal orbs were deleted randomly on three separate occasions. Sure, I couldn't play online with anyone but EightBitWarrior without the game crashing. But this game is just so awesome and full of charm, that I can't NOT make it the Download of the year. I just can't. I'd rather deal with the game-breaking flaws then deal with the ridiculously difficult challenge rooms in Bionic Commando Rearmed. Just sayin'.

Flavor of the Year

Winner: Burnout Paradise

Caption...word.
Caption...word.

Ahh, the prized possession, the game o' the year. Many applicants for this position, but only one man (game) for the job. I've played Burnout Paradise for a large portion of the year, pretty constantly actually. I still haven't got my 100% completion yet, and yes I'm working on it. I've been such a huge proponent of this game since day one, and it's good to see that people are finally jumping on the wagon, a whole year after it's released.

How can you make Burnout better? Put it in an open world! Make multiplayer matches a cinch to jump in and out of, let me track all my stats and collect/complete everything in my path! The sense of speed, the ultra-responsive steering, it's all just amazing. There's no restart function, there's no menu to choose events from. Get over it. It's still the best game this year. And if they release another version of Paradise next year, it could very well repeat history.
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rowr

If you had released this half an hour earlier you would have been a contender in my top ten.

Beautifully presented.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Dude I totally disagree MGS4 had an amazing story and Burnout doesn't even come CLOSE to game of the year.

Edit: Not Rock Band 2 for Soundtrack!?!  Dude....

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Manachild

burnout paradise is awesome, good choice

Avatar image for eightbitwarrior
EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By EightBitWarrior

Stellar job, my friend. Your videos just keep getting more impressive.

Good choices as well.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lordofultima

Rock Band 2 has 10 songs that are awesome and 60 some that no one cares about. Furthermore, I wasn't even considering licensed music for the category. What would be the point? Maybe you're missing the point of my games of the year, but they're sort of mine.

The whole fact that MGS4 is nominated for Story means that it has an amazing story. But guess what? It's also disappointing to MYSELF on multiple levels, being a Metal Gear Solid fan.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MetalGearSunny

whateves.

ZombieJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ZombieJesus

Excellent work,  really enjoyable.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Tordah

Great video! I bet that took quite some time to make.

Usagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Usagi

Nice picks, yo!

pill92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pill92

Great job man!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By jakob187

Ultima, you stop with your creative self!!!  You might blow someone's mind up with that kind of raving mad genius talk!!!

Slunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Slunks

Very awesome. Couldn't stop watchin'

XD

DeVeAn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeVeAn

Fuckin amazing video dude.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By BoG

I gotta say, I love your twist on the awards, and that twist at the end. I also totally agree about Akiba... But what can you say, we all say his wedding. No sane man marries a woman built like that. Those shoulders....

Anyways, I'm going to go eat some waffles.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lordofultima

Since this blog, I have surpassed 100% -- I am a god!

hazzard4123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By hazzard4123

MEEEEEOWWWWWWWW

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By RHCPfan24

Burnout Paradise is extremely awesome on many counts. I agree with you on this one.  And Castle Crashers? Sweet as well.

rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rerty

hey man ... whats the song playing during the Mirror's edge part?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By brukaoru
BoG said:
"I gotta say, I love your twist on the awards, and that twist at the end. I also totally agree about Akiba... But what can you say, we all say his wedding. No sane man marries a woman built like that. Those shoulders....
Anyways, I'm going to go eat some waffles."
Ugh. So tired of hearing people say she looked bad just because she had some more muscle. Though I will agree the direction they went with Akiba is something that was a little weird to me.

Excellent video, presentation was awesome! Meow meow!
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lordofultima

I'm not sure what song it is, it's the audio from the actual trailer, probably from the Mirror's Edge Soundtrack.

Meryl only looked bad because her hair was as solid as a rock.

Moeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Moeez

Wow, thanks for all the awesomely hard work on that video, you deserve an Oscar! 

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Babble

Awesome post, very cool video!

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By dsplayer1010

"Atmospheric Oreo" Lol

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By suneku
brukaoru said:
"BoG said:
"I gotta say, I love your twist on the awards, and that twist at the end. I also totally agree about Akiba... But what can you say, we all say his wedding. No sane man marries a woman built like that. Those shoulders....
Anyways, I'm going to go eat some waffles."
Ugh. So tired of hearing people say she looked bad just because she had some more muscle. Though I will agree the direction they went with Akiba is something that was a little weird to me.

Excellent video, presentation was awesome! Meow meow!"
I usually don't go for the buff chicks but I thought her muscles made her pretty hawt
mjwickstrom1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mjwickstrom1

I'm happy to see that someone other than me thinks Burnout Paradise deserves GOTY. Thank you!!!

Add me on XBL: mjwickstrom1

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahaha awesome video, nice choices also.

Good job on the editing.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JJOR64

lmfao @ the vid.

JonnyAvacado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JonnyAvacado

Video perfection my friend...Holy Shit I really enjoyed watching that...great choices bro!

Hyperglide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By Hyperglide

Shocking that most of your picks were mine as well.  Except for Best Racing game I went with Grid but you made excellent choices!  Good to see someone is recognizing LO as well.  Oh you better!

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By pweidman

Props to you op, on recognizing and giving credit to LO.  The most heartfelt story I ever experienced in a game, while conserving a real, mature feel.  The dreams were deep and novelesque imo.  Not to mention the awesome rpg elements and challenging gameplay, all the while being so polished and glitch free.  My GoTY prolly, or in the top 2-3 for sure.  Great post and video.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bigandtasty

Reading this makes me hungry. Good picks and a good twist on a top 10 best of whatever.

(Edit: Didn't realize that posting this in the GB Best of 2008 features would bump a topic in the forums. My bad about that.)