• 80 results
#1 Posted by KingBroly (1699 posts) -
#2 Posted by nanikore (2755 posts) -

Fuck that.

#3 Posted by luce (4056 posts) -

F that S

#4 Posted by Cwaff (1316 posts) -

Not that I read them much, but a manual makes the game feel complete.

#5 Posted by hinderk (702 posts) -
@nanikore said:
" Fuck that. "
#6 Posted by InTheEnd (274 posts) -

Honestly, though, when was the last time you actually looked at the instruction manual for information about the game?

#7 Posted by ArrrCee (114 posts) -
@KingBroly said:
"http://kotaku.com/5520261/ubisoft-does-away-with-tree+killing-instruction-manuals   I'm not very happy about this.  I love instruction manuals.  They claim it's for environmental purposes, I say they're doing it because of costs. "

Every company always makes decisions based on costs. 
I can't really be mad and feel entitled to instruction manuals (especially from Ubisoft and EA) because I never look at them anyway. I'll always look at bigger scoped games manuals (Fallout 3, DragonAge, and so on) and Nintendo manuals but otherwise I'm not too worried about it.
#8 Posted by KingBroly (1699 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII

#9 Posted by Pazy (2682 posts) -

Im sort of conflicted about it, realistically I know I havent read a manual in years (even when I got stuck I prefare to think), but when there isnt a manual there it feels slightly lacking. Its more to do with the fact I like complete sets of things but If it goes away I wont really care after a little while.

#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

They've been decreasing in quality for a LONG time. I just wish they put more personality and work into it. That way, we could do away with forced tutorials.

#11 Posted by Jeust (11377 posts) -

If they bring a pdf with the manual for the game i have no quarrels with it. Otherwise it's a shitty move.

#12 Edited by fleethefactory (180 posts) -
@Jeust said:

" If they bring a pdf with the manual for the game i have no quarrels with it. Otherwise it's a shitty move. "

That's how 2K Sports does it, and they've been doing it that way for a few years now.  I love manuals too, but I almost think that folks who are pro-manual are in the minority.
#13 Posted by KingBroly (1699 posts) -

Apparently it's going to include a digital manual like what you had for the Ultimate Genesis Collection.  But it's not the same as the real deal.

#14 Posted by RandomInternetPerson (823 posts) -
@Jeust: Same here,but this isn't all that new a bunch of older Ubisoft games did that (but had it in PDF)
#15 Posted by Venatio (4654 posts) -

That fucking sucks, I love manuals, cheap ass Ubisoft

#16 Posted by Callumrides (381 posts) -

i do not not like this one bit but in theory there should be a slighly lower price as % of the rrp is to over the cost of printing etc

#17 Posted by tranquilchaos (578 posts) -

As far as I'm concerned they should do away with disks as well. Digital downloads.... That's the ticket.

#18 Posted by KingBroly (1699 posts) -
@Callumrides said:
" i do not not like this one bit but in theory there should be a slighly lower price as % of the rrp is to over the cost of printing etc "
Yes, there SHOULD be lower prices.  But you know they won't.
#19 Posted by Demyx (3240 posts) -
@InTheEnd said:
" Honestly, though, when was the last time you actually looked at the instruction manual for information about the game? "
The last game I bought a couple of weeks ago. I really like instruction manuals. And we don't need more "robust" in-game instructions. This is a bad trend. Ubisoft games should now all be $5 cheaper.
#20 Posted by Yummylee (23197 posts) -

BOO!  

But ah well, long as Rockstar keep the manuals alive as apart of their retail releases though, It's aaall gooood.
#21 Posted by Jeust (11377 posts) -

This is the way of the industry. Cutting expenses and increasing profits.

#22 Posted by Crixaliz (806 posts) -
@Demyx said:
" @InTheEnd said:
" Honestly, though, when was the last time you actually looked at the instruction manual for information about the game? "
The last game I bought a couple of weeks ago. I really like instruction manuals. And we don't need more "robust" in-game instructions. This is a bad trend. Ubisoft games should now all be $5 cheaper. "
I totally agree, companies like Ubisoft are cutting costs with moves like this and those flimsy cheapass boxes and they still cost the same!
#23 Posted by calum_s_gunn (80 posts) -

Tutorials are so commonplace in games these days that manuals feel a little obsolete to me.

#24 Posted by Rapid (1449 posts) -
@KingBroly: I hear you man
#25 Posted by TwoOneFive (9787 posts) -

how will i know what to do with the disc? 

#26 Edited by Jeust (11377 posts) -

But i don't think this measure can be applied all over the place, as some contries have restrictions about game manuals, and require them in the language of the country. It can be a page only, but still required.

#27 Posted by Rapid (1449 posts) -

Just like for Music when you buy a physical CD / DVD you want to have nice track-list or lyrics printed 
I feel the same way about Game Manuals. It's about presentation. Next they will just sell a CD without a case....

#28 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2225 posts) -
@Cwaff said:
" Not that I read them much, but a manual makes the game feel complete. "
/agree. Especially if the effort is put in to have some real nice artwork inside.
#29 Posted by CL60 (17120 posts) -
@InTheEnd said:
I do with every game I buy before I start playing it.
#30 Posted by MHumphreys89 (759 posts) -

Nothing will be missed, I don't recall Ubisoft doing anything creative with their manuals.

#31 Posted by General_D23 (1210 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @InTheEnd said:
I do with every game I buy before I start playing it. "

I do as well. I just like looking through them. Not that there's much to look through, these days...
#32 Posted by Burns098356GX (1366 posts) -

Seems like a legitimate reason, why continue to print books that cost money (and trees) when most games have in-game tutorials. I think its a good move.

#33 Edited by ProfessorEss (7674 posts) -

I usually read the manuals, but I wouldn't miss them if they disappeared.

I'd actually love the concept if I thought the consumer would ever see any benefit from these types of cost-cutting measures.

(...I didn't even address "the environment" as I assume we all realize that's a cost-cutting cover excuse)

#34 Posted by Andheez (615 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @InTheEnd said:
Me too, I always read through before I start playing.  Maybe not in complete detail, but pretty closely.  I used to appreciate them more when they had more story to them.  Now all they are is basic controls for the most part.  I am still opposed to this though.
#35 Posted by fwylo (3571 posts) -

Not a big deal, if you really want to know, just look it up on the internet.  I'm sure they will start posting somethings up there instead.

#36 Posted by NoXious (1365 posts) -

People still look at manuals? I know I pull em out every now and then for CD-keys as I'm a PC fanboy... But I never actually READ manuals.

#37 Posted by ProfessorEss (7674 posts) -
@NoXious said:
" People still look at manuals?
Toilet + Dead DS battery = Manual reading ;)
#38 Posted by Jimbo (10179 posts) -
@InTheEnd said:
The last time they made an original game.

Oh.
#39 Edited by KingBroly (1699 posts) -
@Burns098356GX said:

" Seems like a legitimate reason, why continue to print books that cost money (and trees) when most games have in-game tutorials. I think its a good move. "

The environmental reasons are just a cover for stock brokers.  It makes them seem responsible, which investors like.
#40 Posted by Onigenko (333 posts) -

I don't usually even look at manuals, so I really have no problem with this. And hopefully some trees will be saved too!

#41 Edited by Binman88 (3707 posts) -

At least we can't expect the honorable Ubisoft company to pass the savings on to us, right?

#42 Edited by Bionicicide (1230 posts) -

I support no manuals. Less wasted paper so my resold games save me an ounce on shipping and this can easily be offset by thoughtfully crafted in-game tutorials or just plain accessible controls and common sense game design.

Last time I opened a manual was for MGS4:GotP to learn CQC maneuvers (hostage, butt hump choke, etc) and even after gleaming over the comic book presentation I just watched a CQC tutorial [at YouTube] that was miles more intuitive than the manual.

#43 Edited by 234r2we232 (3175 posts) -

You don't need any instruction manual to teach you how to be a pr0 n0 sc0p3r bro.

#44 Posted by Skald (4387 posts) -

I can't say I like this, but it does make sense. As digital distribution gets more and more popular, we are going to have to find alternatives to paper manuals.

#45 Posted by Vinchenzo (6466 posts) -

I read the manual over the span of one or two bathroom sittings. I am sad. Regardless, companies like Ubisoft as well as EA might as well just stop, because they've been 8-10 pages for a while now. Other companies invest the time and money into making a real manual, so I hope they keep it up.

#46 Posted by btman (1112 posts) -
@InTheEnd said:
this.

its just wasted paper....GO ENVIRONMENT!!
#47 Posted by Geno (6768 posts) -

I wish they still had those color, 50-pagers from the SNES era. 

#48 Posted by Creamypies (4162 posts) -

Instruction manuals aren't needed anymore. All the information that usually turns up in one is pretty much always conveyed in the opening sections of almost every game.

#49 Posted by kashif1 (1543 posts) -
@InTheEnd said:
during a mandatory instal
#50 Posted by Korne (640 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @InTheEnd said:

Me too... it makes for a great bathroom read while you are waiting for the game to install.