Ubisoft's Uplay

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

"A digital distribution, digital rights management, multiplayer and communications service."

OK.

Why does Uplay continue to exist?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Dunno but I get random free stuff whenever I buy a Ubisoft game as a result. Achievement system in Heroes VI is pretty nifty. Why does Steam continue to exist? GoG is by and large superior.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aetheldod

Because vidja games companies are evil :(

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Why does Steam exist?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Ubisoft likes to get your email, playing habits and other personal info for marketing purposes.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By confusedowl

Everybody wants to get in on that sweet sweet Steam money.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dunno but I get random free stuff whenever I buy a Ubisoft game as a result. Achievement system in Heroes VI is pretty nifty. Why does Steam continue to exist? GoG is by and large superior.

hah... *rolleyes* pray tell what makes gog superior? the fact that the games do not autoupdate? or the fact that you can buy the game once and distribute it freely to whoever you want? don't get me wrong, I like GoG, but your comparison is just stupid.

Steam continues to exist because it's the best digital game distribution system there is period.

I agree with the OP, this uplay BS should have ended a long time ago, why do they insist on this crap is beyond me, having to log in 2 different systems just to play the damn game I paid for is ridiculous, and the "rewards" really do not make up for it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

@pr1mus said:

Why does Steam exist?

Why do we exist?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

UPlay's mostly fine by me. It's been pretty reliable as far as a service goes. Yeah, it's not Steam, but the more competitors there are in this space, the better, both in terms of price stress and feature development. You could make this complaint about Origin, as well, but the same answer would apply: there's no reason to mandate a game coming out on Steam, especially not when a publisher's giving up a 30%+ cut of each sale to Steam just for being on there.

I love steam, but I've got no problems with publishers setting up their own competing services so long as they're reliable and relatively bug-free and offer values on par with the Steam discounts (and to be clear, the last issue is where they really lag behind Steam). UPlay and Origin might be wonky from time to time, but then again, so was Steam in its early days.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I hate Uplay, that is all.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

uPlay does like like it was designed in the early 0s but all in all I prefer it over Origin, which has the far superior UI but far more annoying menus. The in-game rewards a good idea that other services could look at. Unlocking a costume by playing the game you're playing ain't a bad thing at all.

The most shocking failing of both Origin and Uplay: WHERE ARE ALL THE GAMES? EA, especially, is sitting on a mountain of old games. Imagine if you could only get those classics on Origin. Same goes for Ubi: get your legacy catalog online!!

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bought assassin's creed 3 on steam but i have totally forgotten the account i used on uplay now i can not finish the game.ironic