Posted by FLStyle (6238 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament X Preview

http://ufgtus.wordpress.com/

No Caption Provided

Welcome to the UFGTX preview blog! The final UFGT preview blog, because after this it's done, no more. The man behind UFGT and creator of Divekick Adam 'Keits' Heart is making 10 the final Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament. Sad times, but a lot of fun has been had and will be had this weekend!

Streams and schedule

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

http://www.twitch.tv/bgcallisto

http://www.twitch.tv/nobodyexe

Check http://ufgtus.wordpress.com/schedule/ for a game by game schedule listing (Friday & Saturday) and stream by stream listing for finals day on Sunday.

In addition to the departing Super Street Fighter IV, a near complete version of Ultra Street Fighter IV will be at UFGT, tournaments and all. Joining them will be the 7 other official EVO games (Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Killer Instinct, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, King of Fighters XIII & BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma) and many more!

Yeah that's right, Tekken is back! It was left out at first, but the finals at Final Round 17 back in March were so hype that the EVO gents added it to the list, making the UFGTX TTT2 that much more important.

----------------------

All the UFGT favourites are returning such as the mystery game tournament which last year during the finals introduced a lot of people (myself included) to Lethal League, the browser baseball fighting game which as a result featured on Giant Bomb's own Unprofessional Fridays the following week.

Lethal League recently announced a buffed up version of the game for release on Steam, not unlike Divekick's story. The official blog at http://lethalleague.reptile-games.com/ states that it will feature

• Highly competitive gameplay.
  • High performance online GGPO multi-player.
  • Up to 4 players.
  • Mad art.
  • Banging beats by various artists.
  • No weak shit.

One of my favourite aspects of UFGT since I started watching during UFGT8 Infinity are the amazing trophies that are always up for grabs, I was a particular fan on the Infinity Gauntlets, which incidentally would give me a lot of Marvel Comics back-story (they were so cool I had to know what the gauntlet was) just in time for the Marvel Cinematic Universe to really kick off and start giving hints towards events in a future Avengers film, when that eventually gets made.

UFGTX's trophies look suitably amazing. Solar powered crazy light up glass cylinders. I approve!

Other previous happenings scheduled to return are the panels (featuring the always interesting Seth Killian, a rare appearance by FGC's main YouTuber Maximilian and my fellow Englishman and Sagat player, Ryan Hart) and the Pre-Game Show Friday night in which 12 contestants will compete in an amusing trivia challenge!

Make sure to tune in this weekend for all your favourite games and players, the final UFGT should be something special!

News

Johnny Gat joins Divekick!

Divekick: Addition Edition+ is the PS4 & XBox One version of the two button fighting game, which will also be a free update for PS3, Vita and Steam. One of the new characters has been confirmed as Johnny Gat of Saints Row. What this means for Divekick is that Pandora's Box is officially open. Expect all sorts of character announcement shenanigans between now and release!

Mike Ross gets a job at Twitch

Rather than a player sponsorship change our first story is a player job change. Mike Ross, who just before the news hit of IGN's IPL getting shut down got a job with IPL, has now got a job with Twitch just before the news broke of Google/YouTube buying or not buying Twitch hit the net last night. Coincidence? I think not. (Congratulations to Mike Ross, he's a great representative of the fighting game community, hope he does good things.)

Ed Boon teases MK 10 and confirms MK9's continuing online functionality after GameSpy shuts down

Before the past week or two I would've already recommended Ed Boon's Twitter account, he's a clever and witty man. Recently however he's been doing cryptic tweets pointing towards the announcement of MKX/10 just before E3 2014 (which is June 10th-12th for the record). Initially some thought that with the success of Injustice: Gods Among Us that it might have been MK vs. DC 2, but it's definitely started leaning in the direction of the 10th traditional MK.

An announcement that has been and gone was that of GameSpy closing at the end of this month and that somehow, unknown to everyone outside of NetherRealm and those within their circle of confidants (maybe Jeff, though I doubt he cares), MK9 will continue to function online.

Hyper Dragon Ball Z is the shit

Regardless of your preference between the Budokai games and the Budokai Tenkaichi games, both of them fall short of what a DBZ-style traditional fighting game should be. Hyper Dragon Ball Z on the other hand has no such problems. I hope it's completed one day, even if it won't see a traditional release.

Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist has a May 23rd release date

Whenever I get the chance to talk about SF of MK live action web series I will always take the opportunity! As I've mentioned in previous blogs, the concept short Mortal Kombat: Rebirth was awesome and lead to Mortal Kombat: Legacy, which has spawned 2 web series. And following the Street Fighter: Legacy short comes Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist. I've had nothing but good things to say about these faithful live-action releases which surpass any million dollar Hollywood film. Possibly with the exception of the first MK movie.

Assassin's fist will tell the tale of two time periods, the one in which Gouken and Gouki (Akuma) train under Goutetsu and the one in which Ryu and Ken train under Gouken. Back-stories will be explored, things only mentioned of in passing during the video games will be given spotlight and from what I've seen, we'll get some quality action scenes.

Thanks for reading!

I'll be back next month for the CEO 2014 blog in which USFIV will have officially been released to the masses. The build up to EVO 2014 will be getting serious!

Follow me on Twitter!

#1 Edited by GaspoweR (4827 posts) -

@flstyle: Ey if you were watching the Iron Galaxy stream the other day you might have been able to catch a preview of the Mugen mod that they'd be using for the Character Auction in UFGT.

Avatar image for steamrickroller
#2 Posted by SteamRickroller (318 posts) -

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE. I'm a bit sad that this is the last UGFT, but if that lineup is anything to go by, it's going to go out with a bang.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (17311 posts) -

Oh man this weekend will be fun. Thanks as always for the killer FGC blogs. Also LETHAL LEAGUE HYPE SON!

#4 Posted by DevourerOfTime (689 posts) -

Flying out to Chicago on Thursday. This tournament is going to be so hype! So many games! So many players!

I'm going to go 0-2 in everything I entered, but WHATEVER.

#5 Posted by rmanthorp (4518 posts) -

HYPE. God I hope they have the new Lethal League there - NO WEAK SHIT!

#6 Edited by Demoskinos (17311 posts) -

@rmanthorp: That may be the best bulletin point on a game description ever.

#7 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6409 posts) -

It would have been cool to go to Chicago for UFGT but I already saved money for EVO. I hope to see some of you guys there!

#8 Edited by PerfidiousSinn (906 posts) -

I'm headed out to UFGT again this year, considering it's the last one and all. Just like last time, I plan to get eliminated early from all the games I entered and spend the rest of the weekend trying to win raffles.

I'm getting one of those X-Tanks, darn it.

#9 Posted by ESREVER (2887 posts) -

I'm so sad this is the last UFGT. I wanted to go to one because to me its the most hype/exciting tournament with all sorts of craziness going on.

Definitely watching it this weekend, but so sad I can't attend.

#10 Posted by Hassun (7660 posts) -

Solar powered trophies inbound!

#11 Edited by mrpibb (480 posts) -

I'll try to setup a chat Saturday and Sunday for those who don't want to deal w/ twitch chat

#12 Posted by FLStyle (6238 posts) -

@mrpibb: Many thanks!

@gaspower said:

@flstyle: Ey if you were watching the Iron Galaxy stream the other day you might have been able to catch a preview of the Mugen mod that they'd be using for the Character Auction in UFGT.

I missed it! Was it their charity stream?

#13 Posted by GaspoweR (4827 posts) -

@flstyle: YES! Dig up the twitch archive! Keits also brought the updated version of Lethal League as well and showed it off on the stream. :)

@mrpibb said:

I'll try to setup a chat Saturday and Sunday for those who don't want to deal w/ twitch chat

Thank you, Based Pibb-san.

#14 Posted by Dan_CiTi (4537 posts) -

That DBZ trailer is easily the best Dragon Ball related thing in a long ass time, hopefully it gets "finished".

#15 Posted by FLStyle (6238 posts) -

@dan_citi: Last I heard they were just finishing up on Ultimate Gohan, had made progress with Frieza and planned on starting Piccolo next.

@gaspower: Cool, I'll check it out!

#16 Posted by mccarron (89 posts) -

Can't wait, I'm SOOO going to lose in every game but I plan on having fun doing so.

I may enter Divekick with my Donkey Konga Bongos as well, actually 90% sure I will be doing that now.

#17 Posted by IamTerics (700 posts) -

UFGTX looks like a pretty great line-up. Looks like a pretty fun weekend to watch streams. Currently watching this CvS2 bidding tournament thing and I can't wait for there special Marvel tournament.

#18 Posted by FLStyle (6238 posts) -

I am here! Let's watch some fighting games!

#19 Posted by FLStyle (6238 posts) -
#20 Edited by ThunderSlash (2586 posts) -

I AM HYPED!

Wait what? Fukua is a tournament worthy character?!

Edit: Kinda off-topic, but the upgrade to Ultra Street Fighter 4 DLC for Super and Arcade doesn't come with all the extra costumes right?

#21 Posted by IamTerics (700 posts) -

Skullgirls top 16 was pretty amazing! Mike Z on mic is always fun.

#22 Edited by GorillaMoPena (3333 posts) -

This MUGEN Roulette is the most hype e-sports ever

No Caption Provided

EDIT: Dave Lang just got bodied hard

#23 Edited by Anwar (985 posts) -

Thanks for one of these threads once again FLStyle. I'm watching some Injustice atm.

#24 Posted by Optix12 (680 posts) -
#25 Posted by ThunderSlash (2586 posts) -

I'm not too familiar with Injustice, but is this game supposed to be fast-paced? Cus PerfectLegend's Scorpion made it look like an anime fighter.

#26 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6409 posts) -

Damn it I missed MUGEN tourney!

#27 Posted by FLStyle (6238 posts) -
Avatar image for siroptimusprime
#28 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2043 posts) -

NerdJosh looking hot. #TShype

#29 Posted by JJOR64 (19681 posts) -

Watched some of the Mugen tourney last night and that was easily the highlight of the day.

#30 Posted by FLStyle (6238 posts) -

@jjor64 said:

Watched some of the Mugen tourney last night and that was easily the highlight of the day.

I must remember to check that out!

#31 Posted by ThunderSlash (2586 posts) -

Last day whoooooooo (awww)! KOF13 on the nobodyexe stream. Hoping for some HYPE matches.

#32 Posted by GorillaMoPena (3333 posts) -

Never forget the guy from last night who took out a screwdriver to open his stick up on stage.

#33 Posted by StarvingGamer (11309 posts) -

Never forget the guy from last night who took out a screwdriver to open his stick up on stage.

Then got immediately bodied, it was such delicious justice

#34 Posted by FLStyle (6238 posts) -

Chris G putting in work on KOF!

#35 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1715 posts) -

Spinjustice keeping igau relevant.

#36 Posted by Hassun (7660 posts) -

Spinjustice is a hard ass game.

#38 Edited by ThunderSlash (2586 posts) -

Pops the God! BlazBlue Grand Finals was great!