• 91 results
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So I'm getting ready tonight to go see Spiderman its a 9:45 so we have some time to kill so me and my buddy go to FYE (yeah I know FYE sucks.) anyways this kid is asking his dad if he can get this poster and he seems pretty accepting of the idea until he learns that it's a "Halo" poster.

Cue ignorance. What follows next is the dad going off on his son about "When you gonna move on from this phase?" Kid was flummoxed he had no clue what the guy was talking about. Then he asks the kid why he didn't pick out the CD he wanted and kid told him because it was $26 and he thought it would be to expensive. Guy finally caves after much pleading from the kid. Mind you the kid wasn't whiny or yelling he was being completely civil the whole time. Yet the guy would have rather spent 3 times what the poster cost on a CD just because it was a videogame poster. Kinda wanted to go off on the guy. Wasn't like the kid was being a little jerk either. Anyone else get irritated by what still seems to be a large group of people are still completely ignorant and afraid of everything videogames?

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jrad

Well, I wouldn't let my kid have a Halo poster -- not because I'm ignorant when it comes to videogames, but because I'd rather he keep his room classy and Halo is not that. My rooms have always been bare, and I've never understood why some people seem to think decking their walls out with a hundred posters makes it look better.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Clonedzero

yeah, its annoying, but hey, what can you do?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MikeGosot

Ugh. Ignorance in general.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Amazing Spider-man I thought was pretty good and separated itself smartly from the first three films.

I get annoyed when people talk about games as being for kids only and you're immature if you play them. It shows ignorance and from the father a lack of interest in his child's hobbies.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By NoobSauceG7

That pisses me off...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By toowalrus

@Jrad said:

Well, I wouldn't let my kid have a Halo poster -- not because I'm ignorant when it comes to videogames, but because I'd rather he keep his room classy and Halo is not that. My rooms have always been bare, and I've never understood why some people seem to think decking their walls out with a hundred posters makes it look better.

I used to have a Halo poster...

No Caption Provided
mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mandude

It's kinda funny. I know a lot of people who consider video games and graphic novels to be low brow, yet they'll still watch the movie adaptations.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By hwy_61

Great parenting.

Yes, I get irritated when people shit all over other people's tastes, just because they hold an opinion of it, therefore they're right. My stepson REALLY loves Star Wars, I on the other hand, have grown to fucking hate it with the passion of a thousand Suns. Does that mean I'm gonna shit all over Star Wars? Hell no. What kind of heartless bastard do you take me for? We went to go see Episode One: 3D, and you best believe I enjoyed the shit out of it, albeit groaning in my head throughout. Why? Because that's what being a good parent is all about. Just because you don't understand/don't like the kid's enjoyments, doesn't mean you have to make him/her feel like shit for it.

Put on a happy face, or be an asshole and risk the child distancing themselves from you.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By musubi
@TooWalrus Jesus Christ. BSOD and a RROD? =(
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Jrad said:

Some people believe it gives personality to the room and is a reflection upon themselves. I've had people come in my room, mostly girls (y'know, friends, family, girl friends) who have seen my room and wondered why all my walls are bare. I have been given stuff to hang as gifts from those people. I feel like you should have to give the kid the freedom of expression within reason to hang a poster or two but whatever, it would be your house and kid. As long as you aren't holding back the kids expression in almost every way possible which I doubt you're doing.

MegaMetaTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MegaMetaTurtle

My friend asked me if I thought I'd ever grow out of games.

I asked her if she thought she'd ever grow out of movies and books.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

@Demoskinos: Yeah, something went horribly wrong when I was re-installing a new OS, and my brother had a busted xbox at the time, so I grabbed it, because I thought it would be a funny picture. That was a few years ago, haven't had a problem with an xbox or a PC since.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By AngelN7

I don't know why people think they should have a say in what your hobbies should be or even judge them when the person knows nothing about it , like in what sense does that affects you? , also posters are ok I have a DMC poster in my room I don't think it makes the room look better but I like the poster should I leave it folded and unrolled once in a while just to say " what a cool poster"? no!.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By EarlessShrimp

What can you do? Un-hip parents using ancient parenting techniques. He probably secretly wishes his kid grows up to be a serious dude-bro banging all the cheerleaders in high-school while he makes the [insert relevant sports team here] team; and goes out to drink copious amounts of beer whilst uttering homophobic and xenophobic phrases with an asinine grin plastered over his face. Just a theory.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By handlas

@MegaMetaTurtle said:

My friend asked me if I thought I'd ever grow out of games. I asked her if she thought she'd ever grow out of movies and books.

Sounds sexy. Continue the story plz.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By MooseyMcMan

As an owner of a Halo themed poster, I can say that...I dunno where I was going with that. It's not currently hanging on a wall though.

Amazing Spider-Man though, that's a helluva movie. I loved it. Didn't care for the other ones, but this one: Great.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By williamhenry

@Demoskinos said:

So I'm getting ready tonight to go see Spiderman its a 9:45 so we have some time to kill so me and my buddy go to FYE (yeah I know FYE sucks.) anyways this kid is asking his dad if he can get this poster and he seems pretty accepting of the idea until he learns that it's a "Halo" poster. Cue ignorance. What follows next is the dad going off on his son about "When you gonna move on from this phase?" Kid was flummoxed he had no clue what the guy was talking about. Then he asks the kid why he didn't pick out the CD he wanted and kid told him because it was $26 and he thought it would be to expensive. Guy finally caves after much pleading from the kid. Mind you the kid wasn't whiny or yelling he was being completely civil the whole time. Yet the guy would have rather spent 3 times what the poster cost on a CD just because it was a videogame poster. Kinda wanted to go off on the guy. Wasn't like the kid was being a little jerk either. Anyone else get irritated by what still seems to be a large group of people are still completely ignorant and afraid of everything videogames?

Anyone else find it ironic that the father considers video games a phase, yet is perfectly fine with buying a cd that the kid will absolutely loathe in a year or two? I'd say that kids go through way more phases with music than just about anything else.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Tarsier

@Jrad said:

would you rather him have a spiderman one?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BraveToaster

It's just another common misconception that people have about videogames and the people who play them. It is poor parenting to make your child feel like his/her interests are dismal. There's really nothing we can do about the way people feel about videogames.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I am sick of all kinds of ignorance.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ducksworth

Went and saw Spiderman this morning, it was fantastic. Posters are stupid.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nonused

I like FYE.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Spoonman671

I have more important things to get upset about.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Akyho

I was waiting in line to be served at a game store. A mother with her 5 year old son was in front. The kid ran off and came back with Spider man 2 for the ps2, he asked if he could get it. The mother said "No because Spidermans bad. He hurts people!"

Granted not game exactly but...still.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jrad said:

Wait, is this a serious reply? 
JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Jrad said:

Damned people and their different tastes! When will they learn?

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#29  Edited By pyromagnestir

@Jrad said:

Only serial killers keep there rooms bare... Wait. Fuck... Don't come after me I swear I won't tell! My lips are sealed don't seal them for me please!

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By ddensel

Damned kids and the vidya pong. Go outside and play stickball!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Akyho

I was waiting in line to be served at a game store. A mother with her 5 year old son was in front. The kid ran off and came back with Spider man 2 for the ps2, he asked if he could get it. The mother said "No because Spidermans bad. He hurts people!"

In her defense, teaching a 5 year old the difference between abusive violence and vigilante justice sounds pretty tough. Maybe at 9-10 they can start understanding the concept of good and bad violence.

In the dad's case it's just another example of someone denying the value of something because they don't understand how someone would or could enjoy it. If he doesn't like it, then why would anyone else?
Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Akyho

@Brodehouse said:

@Akyho

In her defense, teaching a 5 year old the difference between abusive violence and vigilante justice sounds pretty tough. Maybe at 9-10 they can start understanding the concept of good and bad violence. In the dad's case it's just another example of someone denying the value of something because they don't understand how someone would or could enjoy it. If he doesn't like it, then why would anyone else?

There is a defense for both sides. Overall...I dont want kids.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Damn kids and their virtual murdering alien simulators, you should be doing something productive with your life like doing drugs and geting drunk! *shakes fist*

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jimbo

To be fair, posters do usually look tacky as fuck.

I used to cover my bedroom walls (like totally cover every inch) with cutaway posters of fighter jets. I think it was pretty classy.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

@Jrad said:

Tacking posters everywhere ain't classy, I agree. But neither is a bare room! Gotta have some tasteful art in there, preferably real paintings, or framed art posters.

Avatar image for izbaadin_islamabad
Izbaadin_Islamabad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Akyho said:

In her defense, he is a menace and is probably in cahoots with all those villains.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By stinky

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@Akyho said:

In her defense, he is a menace and is probably in cahoots with all those villains.

shit, i've read The Daily Bugle, the guy needs to be locked up. masked freaked.

not sure which ignorance is worse, video game, or thinking you can rate a person's parenting skills on a 3 minute long conversation.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kerse
@WilliamHenry

@Demoskinos said:

So I'm getting ready tonight to go see Spiderman its a 9:45 so we have some time to kill so me and my buddy go to FYE (yeah I know FYE sucks.) anyways this kid is asking his dad if he can get this poster and he seems pretty accepting of the idea until he learns that it's a "Halo" poster. Cue ignorance. What follows next is the dad going off on his son about "When you gonna move on from this phase?" Kid was flummoxed he had no clue what the guy was talking about. Then he asks the kid why he didn't pick out the CD he wanted and kid told him because it was $26 and he thought it would be to expensive. Guy finally caves after much pleading from the kid. Mind you the kid wasn't whiny or yelling he was being completely civil the whole time. Yet the guy would have rather spent 3 times what the poster cost on a CD just because it was a videogame poster. Kinda wanted to go off on the guy. Wasn't like the kid was being a little jerk either. Anyone else get irritated by what still seems to be a large group of people are still completely ignorant and afraid of everything videogames?

Anyone else find it ironic that the father considers video games a phase, yet is perfectly fine with buying a cd that the kid will absolutely loathe in a year or two? I'd say that kids go through way more phases with music than just about anything else.

My thoughts exactly.
mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mrpandaman

The thing other than the ignorance that got me was the CD price. So he would let the kid buy a $26 cd, but not a probably waaaay cheaper poster? Holy shit... Who buys $26 CDs??? It better be a one of a kind cd, but seeing how it's FYE that's a negative since pretty much everything is overpriced.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By theoldhouse

@Jrad said:

your kid will grow up to become this:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.walletpop.ca/media/2012/04/david-cameron-450-image-4-876907874.jpg

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Akyho

@stinky said:

@Izbaadin_Islamabad said:

@Akyho said:

shit, i've read The Daily Bugle, the guy needs to be locked up. masked freaked.

not sure which ignorance is worse, video game, or thinking you can rate a person's parenting skills on a 3 minute long conversation.

I was just commenting on that moment of face palming.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By _Zombie_

It's just a parent being a dickhead. I've seen it before, and just ignore it. Not worth the headache to say anything to them about it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By musubi

@mrpandaman: You ain't kidding. I went and browsed the anime DVDs to see if there was anything decent and the whole time I was like "Damn, I could get this for HALF of what FYE is asking on Amazon." Its stupid how high their prices are.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SexyToad

I have a black ops booster. Not really revelant but I like to share. If I had a kid I would let him have the halo poster. I know that halo isnt that bad. But not a video game poster like Gta.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By audiosnow

I play video games quite a bit, and I'm still able to recognize that the medium is just now moving past infancy. It's still something that "mature adults" leave behind them.

I've personally seen two fledgling marriages destroyed because the husband played video games in time he should have spent learning his spouse.

Come on, guys. I've 51,000 achievement points. And every single one was a waste of time. Yes, I've gotten a lot of entertainment from games, and yes, I've had emotional and occasionally life-altering experiences with some. But it's entertainment to its core. I've played every Halo game, and thoroughly enjoyed nearly every one. And none of them taught me a thing. None of them caused me to reevaluate my life. I say the same of nearly every film I've seen. Halo's taught me as much as Rambo. Entertainment, not self-improvement.

Yes, games are starting to become more than stupid entertainment. Starting. Let's not kill them before they've had a chance to mature, but let's also not get angry at those who don't recognize their unrealized potential.

And can we rid ourselves of calling anything we disagree with, "ignorance?" It's played out, yeah?

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#46  Edited By galiant
@mlarrabee I don't know what you're on about. Entertainment, i.e. having fun, is not a waste of time. You sound like the most boring person ever.
PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PokeIkzai

@Jrad said:

Because people are allowed to like different things. Also its a sign, or a gateway into their personality. I think it's a good thing.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

@mandude said:

I know a lot of people who consider video games and graphic novels to be low brow, yet they'll still watch the movie adaptations.

You read picture books? They are for babies.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By audiosnow

@Galiant said:

@mlarrabee I don't know what you're on about. Entertainment, i.e. having fun, is not a waste of time. You sound like the most boring person ever.

People often mistake entertainment for recreation. It's a component of recreation, but for a lot of people, it's the only component they know and indulge. 1

EDIT: Just FYI, I've no idea to what "prophets" the link refers, but the basic truth still holds.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By McBEEF

Well, you never know-the kid might be playing Halo 24/7 and be obsessed with it, dad might just be trying to get him to go outside once in a while