• 91 results
YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By YI_Orange

@mlarrabee: That link hardly says anything. Also, according to dictionary.com, "recreation" has more than one definition, as some words have a habit of doing.

noun

1.refreshmentbymeansofsomepastime,agreeableexercise,orthelike.

2.apastime,diversion,exercise,orotherresourceaffordingrelaxationandenjoyment.

Sounds like entertainment fits that criteria. Also, Saying entertainment is a waste of time is stupid. Isn't the entire purpose of life to be happy and enjoy yourself?

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By spartanlolz92

@TooWalrus said:

@Jrad said:

Well, I wouldn't let my kid have a Halo poster -- not because I'm ignorant when it comes to videogames, but because I'd rather he keep his room classy and Halo is not that. My rooms have always been bare, and I've never understood why some people seem to think decking their walls out with a hundred posters makes it look better.

I used to have a Halo poster...

No Caption Provided

0__o bad day i take it

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By audiosnow

@YI_Orange said:

Isn't the entire purpose of life to be happy and enjoy yourself?

I don't believe this at all, so I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By _Zombie_

@McBEEF said:

Well, you never know-the kid might be playing Halo 24/7 and be obsessed with it, dad might just be trying to get him to go outside once in a while

That's the thing, if that's the problem.. the dad should take away the game every now and then. If it's legitimately keeping the kid from going outside and getting some physical exercise or some shit like that, the dad (or the mom, if there is one), needs to do something. This shit ain't it.

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

@mandude said:

I know a lot of people who consider video games and graphic novels to be low brow, yet they'll still watch the movie adaptations.

You read picture books? They are for babies.

This stupid-ass school of thought still exists? Cute.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

@Jrad said:

Well, I wouldn't let my kid have a Halo poster -- not because I'm ignorant when it comes to videogames, but because I'd rather he keep his room classy and Halo is not that. My rooms have always been bare, and I've never understood why some people seem to think decking their walls out with a hundred posters makes it look better.

Ugh, Halo ignorance...

renegadegd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By renegadegd

I have a poster of Homer Simpson, the film Sucker Punch, and an American flag on my wall. I have no idea why since I'm not a huge fan of The Simpsons, Sucker Punch was a pretty average movie and I live in the uk. Think I need to take a long hard look at my life!

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

@zombiebigfoot said:

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

@mandude said:

I know a lot of people who consider video games and graphic novels to be low brow, yet they'll still watch the movie adaptations.

You read picture books? They are for babies.

This stupid-ass school of thought still exists? Cute.

I'm disappointed in you. It was my hope that you would be able to perceive my sarcasm.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mandude

@Emperor_Jimmu: Maybe he's just referring to the people that actually do have those sentiments. I guess it doesn't help that they're also called comics.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#59  Edited By mrfizzy

@Jrad said:

SO because your rooms have always been bare then that means that is the "right" way? Maybe there are people out there who disagree with that.

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

@mandude said:

@Emperor_Jimmu: Maybe he's just referring to the people that actually do have those sentiments. I guess it doesn't help that they're also called comics.

What do you propose we call them? I'm lobbying for manics.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By _Zombie_

@Emperor_Jimmu: Mine was more bitter humor (that's a term now, BOOM). I was really only half-serious, I don't actually give two shits about what people think about it.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By landon

@Akyho said:

I was waiting in line to be served at a game store. A mother with her 5 year old son was in front. The kid ran off and came back with Spider man 2 for the ps2, he asked if he could get it. The mother said "No because Spidermans bad. He hurts people!"

Granted not game exactly but...still.

Another ignorant fool buying into the Bugles propaganda. The exact reason I don't read that newspaper anymore.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By _Zombie_

@Landon said:

@Akyho said:

I was waiting in line to be served at a game store. A mother with her 5 year old son was in front. The kid ran off and came back with Spider man 2 for the ps2, he asked if he could get it. The mother said "No because Spidermans bad. He hurts people!"

Granted not game exactly but...still.

Another ignorant fool buying into the Bugles propaganda. The exact reason I don't read that newspaper anymore.

The funnies section was shit, anyways.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#64  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

So much poster hate on this thread. I have posters, but I pick ones that I feel are worth having, like my Limited Edition Uncharted 3 poster.

No actual topic I think that dad is being dumb. Why would you want your kid to spend more money on a CD then a poster?

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#65  Edited By jacksukeru

What were we talkning about again? Oh yeah, posters!

My room looks pretty classy if you disregard the whole cupboard filled with figurines, games and manga. Oh and I have a Duke Nukem Forever poster hung up, I forgot why but it pretty much ruins the place.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#66  Edited By Nekroskop

Halo is a pretty terrible game. His dad was just looking out for him.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By SSully

That is disgusting parenting. Who gives a shit what your kid does. As long as he/she is happy because of it and it doesn't hurt them in someway then leave them to it.

Also, holy shit I forgot about FYE and how grossly expensive they are.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#69  Edited By galiant
@mlarrabee

@Galiant said:

@mlarrabee I don't know what you're on about. Entertainment, i.e. having fun, is not a waste of time. You sound like the most boring person ever.

People often mistake entertainment for recreation. It's a component of recreation, but for a lot of people, it's the only component they know and indulge. 1

EDIT: Just FYI, I've no idea to what "prophets" the link refers, but the basic truth still holds.

Regardless of your definition of the word: If I have fun when I play games, it's not a waste of my time. To me it sounds like you disagree with that statement.
BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By BurBan_Snake

Did anyone consider that the kids phase may have been Poster Hoarding? Maybe he always asks for posters everywhere they go, and then shits on them, and tosses them at his dog.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By valiantgrizzly
@kadash299

Did anyone consider that the kids phase may have been Poster Hoarding? Maybe he always asks for posters everywhere they go, and then shits on them, and tosses them at his dog.

We're done here. Thread over.
big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#72  Edited By big_jon

I have like 10 Halo posters.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Orbitz89

@ValiantGrizzly said:

@kadash299

We're done here. Thread over.

Oh man.. I'm laughing so damn hard right now. You win Kadash299, you win.

On topic of posters though. I don't have any problem with them. Some are really cool.. I don't have any myself but I really have no problems if someone else likes them (some look really good once professionally framed and hung on a wall)

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Feanor

Parents not understanding, and our subsequent need to bitch about it a staple of growing up.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#76  Edited By Sooperspy

That is really ignorant. I don't see why its such a big deal for the guy's son to have a Halo poster in his room.

And since this thread has also become a thread about what kind of VG poster we have on our walls, I have a corner of my room with a Bully and RDR poster. I also have this small Acclaim advert poster. It advertises "Acclaim's Dream Team" and features NBA JAM, Mortal Kombat, Maximum Carnage and six other games.

No Caption Provided

Edit: Actually found a picture of the Acclaim poster.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#77  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@Jrad said:

That seems like a fucking stupid thing to control for your kid. Kids will be kids, and non-destructive room decoration should be their choice.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Johnny5

@Jrad said:

I kind of feel like you people shouldn't push tastes onto their kids too much, especially when what kid cares about class? Posters with long hair metal bands, and halo and racing car beds. None of these things is classy but do they need to be? They're kids, if my kid wants a racing car bed I'd be quite happy to oblige lol

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#79  Edited By Humanity

Kid should grow up and start pushing back some brewskies while watching the game on his lazy-boy.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#80  Edited By Hizang

My nans the same, thinks I'm to old for video games.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#81  Edited By frankfartmouth

He should definitely let him have the damn poster

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Still_I_Cry said:

I am sick of all kinds of ignorance.

I hear ya.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Gaff

@Jrad said:

Rose: Do you remember that time I forced my way into your room? We'd known each other for almost a year... and you blew up!
It was the first time you ever raised your hand against me! I was so worried about you...
Jack: Look... I'm sorry...
Rose: It wasn't your violent nature that scared me. It was your room... your heart...
Jack: Stop it...
Rose: There wasn't anything in your room -- only a bed and a small desk. It looked like a prison cell... No television set... no family pictures...
not even a poster...
Jack: Rose, I only use that room for sleeping.
Rose: A lifeless room... almost like your empty heart.
Jack: That's why I tried to keep you out.
Rose: I thought I was beginning to understand you -- until I saw that room.
I somehow had to think of MGS2 when I read that.
BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#84  Edited By BaneFireLord

I somehow have a Halo Wars poster. It was on my bedroom door for three years and it only came down because we moved a month back. I didn't even like Halo Wars.

But yeah, the whole "games are a phase" thing is obnoxious. Is listening to music a phase, too? Is watching movies a phase? No, they fucking aren't and neither is playing games.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#85  Edited By DeF

@Demoskinos: maybe it was not about video games but posters. possibly the kid is obsessed with plastering posters all over the place and the dad wanted to stop the madness. I could get behind that.

the more likely real explanation, though, is really messed up and stupid.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Ulain

@Hizang said:

My nans the same, thinks I'm to old for video games.

Tell "nans" she's too old for life, you know what to do after that!

Kidding, but really, it's hilarious that there is a stigma still associated with playing games, when a lot of them have more effort put in than the shitty movies and TV shows going today.

No Caption Provided

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

mot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mot

I think videogame ignorance is just as bad as any other sort of ignorance.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By audiosnow

@Galiant: Basically, this is how I feel:

I enjoy driving, but driving has a purpose. It brings satisfaction, but it also improves my skill and gets me where I need to go.

I work at a soup kitchen and I enjoy it, but it's not entertaining. Again, it brings me satisfaction, and it rejuvenates me for the following work week. It re-creates me, if you will. It improves me as a person.

I also enjoy the films Funny Games and A Clockwork Orange. They are very uncomfortable movies to watch, and far from entertaining to me, but they cause me to examine my worldview, and so to improve and solidify my beliefs.

But I also really like Dirty Harry, the Rooster Teeth stuff, System Shock 2, Halo, and Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies. The difference is that this "entertainment" hasn't improved me. I really enjoy it, but it hasn't changed me for the better; it hasn't been proper recreation.

Within everything I enjoy, I draw a line between that which improves me mentally, physically, or spiritually, and that which doesn't. If it adds to my skills or personhood, I consider it recreative. If not, it's entertaining.

Again, this is how I choose to examine and label the occupations vying for my time; I don't expect other people to agree or follow suit.

Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Etnos

I'm 31 years old, I have a Halo poster, and that dad sucks.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#90  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@mlarrabee said:

@Galiant said:

@mlarrabee I don't know what you're on about. Entertainment, i.e. having fun, is not a waste of time. You sound like the most boring person ever.

People often mistake entertainment for recreation. It's a component of recreation, but for a lot of people, it's the only component they know and indulge. 1

EDIT: Just FYI, I've no idea to what "prophets" the link refers, but the basic truth still holds.

I think it only becomes a problem if you let those things control your life. The sign of maturity isn't that you abandon everything that society views as immature like entertainment. It's realizing that you have to limit yourself in order to make time for your friends, family, learning, everything. It's balance.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#91  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@DeF said:

@Demoskinos: maybe it was not about video games but posters. possibly the kid is obsessed with plastering posters all over the place and the dad wanted to stop the madness. I could get behind that.

the more likely real explanation, though, is really messed up and stupid.

The OP made it sound like the father was ready to buy the poster until he realized it was Halo related.

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Moreau_MD

@Jrad said:

I want to have your babies