#1 Edited by Hawkerace (285 posts) -

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122300-Rumor-Electronic-Arts-Closes-Visceral-Montreal

Is EA being EA again?

#2 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (3780 posts) -

I read that on Kotaku. Don't we hate EA? I'm glad Battlefield is Activision, though.

#3 Posted by LikeaSsur (1592 posts) -

Not Army of Two! I legitimately like that game!

#4 Posted by Grimluck343 (1160 posts) -

That's so crazy. Pour out your 40s.

#5 Posted by believer258 (12189 posts) -

The publisher refused to specify which studios were being closed down but the rumor, cited by multiple sources, is that the Montreal office ofDead Space studio Visceral Games has been closed entirely.

That is so fucked up. Weren't they expecting Dead Space 3 to sell astronomically high numbers or something?

#6 Posted by Marino (4763 posts) -

@believer258: The "real" Visceral is in California. This only refers to the Montreal branch, which was doing Army of Two (I think?)

Staff
#7 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4494 posts) -

Looks like I have no reason to care about future EA games.

#8 Edited by believer258 (12189 posts) -

@marino said:

@believer258: The "real" Visceral is in California. This only refers to the Montreal branch, which was doing Army of Two (I think?)

Oh. Well, the article's wording is kind of confusing then, it sounded to me like they closed the Dead Space Visceral.

EDIT: Which doesn't make this any better, but... I was thinking they had closed the Dead Space studio after it didn't reach insane sales expectations or something.

#9 Edited by Darson (452 posts) -

I read that on Kotaku. Don't we hate EA? I'm glad Battlefield is Activision, though.

wot

#10 Posted by Hawkerace (285 posts) -

@darson said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

wot

I think he meant as in it's pretty much a yearly release and wont ever die. (?)

#11 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

@marino said:

Correct. They were making the new Army of Two which I assume they finished as it supposed to be released late March.

#12 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

@marino said:

Oh. Well, the article's wording is kind of confusing then, it sounded to me like they closed the Dead Space Visceral.

EDIT: Which doesn't make this any better, but... I was thinking they had closed the Dead Space studio after it didn't reach insane sales expectations or something.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but Visceral probably is next to be shut down considering the ridiculous sales EA said Dead Space 3 needed to have.

#13 Posted by BisonHero (7039 posts) -

@immortalsaiyan said:

@marino said:

Correct. They were making the new Army of Two which I assume they finished as it supposed to be released late March.

I can't wait to see that game tank hard because that series has always been awful.

Except it'll inexplicably sell decently, and I will lose a little more faith in the gaming masses.

#14 Edited by Brodehouse (10129 posts) -

People are correct that this is EA Montreal, the Army of Two people. It looks like EA is pretty unhappy with their work and is going a different direction next gen.

I think you're going to see a lot of this over the next few months. I think the industry might have outgrown itself a bit and is set for a bit of a contraction. There was some pretty explosive growth around 2005-08 and it just didn't keep pace to 2013.

#15 Posted by Darson (452 posts) -

@hawkerace said:

@darson said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

wot

I think he meant as in it's pretty much a yearly release and wont ever die. (?)

Ah, yes. I hadn't thought of that. At least Battlefield is still a quality product though such an early announcement of BF4 discerns me.

#16 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

Dante's Inferno 2 would have been cooler. Sad to hear dudes lost their jobs hope they land somewhere else quickly.

#17 Edited by Capum15 (4996 posts) -

Aww, I enjoyed the second Army of Two, and the first one was alright. Though it seems as if the third one is still going to come out, but still. Hope those guys find something soon; it always sucks when something like this happens.

#18 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

Isn't this standard industry practice?