Underrated Games From This Gen

• 144 results
supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

What are some games that not many people played or liked, but you think are good games? For me, I would have to say Kane and Lynch 2, Duke Nukem Forever, and the 2008 Turok game.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By ThunderSlash

God Hand!

Edit: Oh this gen? God Hand!

Avatar image for superwristbands
SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

34f3ecwdc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By nightriff

Deadly Premonition........hahahahahahaha kidding, kidding

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Pac-Man Championship Edition: DX
  • Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By jiggajoe14

But not really kidding :)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Alpha Protocol and Nier

and Resonance of Fate

and E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff said:

Agreed, its a special special game. It deserves both the good and the bad.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I think it's Max Payne 3 for me.

And Witcher 2 is probably right up there... not sure if its regarded highly enough, I know some really love it.

Crackdown is another candidate. It still plays so well. When SR IV came out and people were saying "this is Crackdown" I had just replayed Crackdown and all I could think was "no, this doesn't play remotely as well". It's mixture of the capabilities of your powers and the lock on shooting, jumping and grabbing controls... it all worked so well together.

Dreamcast this gen, huh?

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nier. It's got an amazing new game plus that ties into the world and story.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Max Payne, Condemned 1 and 2, Rockstars Table Tennis, Prototype, Heavenly Sword(was just to short), Enslaved

that's all i can think of at the moment

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon fit this description? I really loved Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon was also pretty fun.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@animasta said:

Alpha Protocol and Nier

Alpha Protocol fits, but Nier probably doesn't. The majority of people who played the game loved it; it's just that said majority isn't a lot of people.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: witcher 2 has an 88% on metacritic yo and sold very well. Nothing underrated about it.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Darkness. That game had a really good story.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@animasta said:

@artisanbreads: witcher 2 has an 88% on metacritic yo and sold very well. Nothing underrated about it.

I don't think its level of quality is acknowledged enough. Obviously depends on your definition of underrated here, but I don't think its regarded highly enough in general, from how I see it, for how great of an RPG it is, comparing it to how popular Bioware's or Bethesda's RPGs are for example.

And in the media it has its big fans but a lot of them seem to have never played it. If we're talking Giantbomb in particular for example no one besides Vinny will even play it. It was probably the best game this gen in terms of plot and choice so that's a shame to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jiggajoe14 said:
@nightriff said:

Agreed, its a special special game. It deserves both the good and the bad.

I hated the gameplay in that game so much, but holy crap is that story something else. It's so bad that it becomes good again, and then goes into a realm that no other video game has ever entered. I can't think of any other game I've played where I literally cheered when it was over. What an amazing experience that game was, and it's easily on my top five favorite video games of all time, settled nicely with Shadow of the Colossus and Metro 2033.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderslash said:

God Hand!

Edit: Oh this gen? God Hand!

Available on PS3, so it totally counts as current gen.

By the way, GOD HAND!

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animasta said:

I don't think its level of quality is acknowledged enough. Obviously depends on your definition of underrated here, but I don't think its regarded highly enough in general, from how I see it, for how great of an RPG it is, comparing it to how popular Bioware's or Bethesda's RPGs are for example.

And in the media it has its big fans but a lot of them seem to have never played it. If we're talking Giantbomb in particular for example no one besides Vinny will even play it. It was probably the best game this gen in terms of plot and choice so that's a shame to me.

Patrick played it.

Also no one will ever play Nier so...

Really, though, if we're comparing sales numbers to how they SHOULD'VE sold, every good shooter in the world is underrated because it didn't get call of duty numbers, no matter how much it actually sold or not

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@animasta said:

@artisanbreads said:

@animasta said:

Patrick played it.

Also no one will ever play Nier so...

Really, though, if we're comparing sales numbers to how they SHOULD'VE sold, every good shooter in the world is underrated because it didn't get call of duty numbers, no matter how much it actually sold or not

I'm not really talking sales numbers per se. The reported numbers for the Witcher series are a nice 5 million which I'm happy about. I feel like a lot of that has to be Eastern Europe though, just going from how I see the popularity of the game represented around.

So maybe you're right and I just don't see the fans but I think it deserves a bit more prestige for what 2 pulled off. I don't think it's the most underrated game or anything though, don't get me wrong. That's why it wasn't my real choice here.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can add both Darkness games to my list.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hunkulese

Call of Duty 4

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#28 chaser324  Moderator

@supermonkey122: I'm willing to give you K&L2 and Turok, but I think you're going to have to defend your choice of DNF. I thought that game was pretty damn bad, in line with most of the reviews that it received.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nier.

The answer is Nier.

Fuck, that game is great.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 chaser324  Moderator

I'm going to say Valkyria Chronicles. It actually did review pretty well, but I'm still bitter about it not selling well enough for Sega to ship VC3 to western markets.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crackdown 2: This game gets a lot of flak but I personally loved it. So much fun, especially with friends.

Wolfenstein 09: Loved everything about this game except multiplayer. The shooting combat is sooo goood.

Rock of Ages: This game was so odd and unique. Everything about it is awesome.

Bangai-O HD: I don't much care for these kind of games but something about this one stood out to me. Levels are crazy challenging and the level editor is simply great. If you want to try the game, download the demo on Xbox Live and play stage 3 first. You will thank me later.

Raskulls: This game is really only special with friends.

Snoopy Flying Ace: Played this game so much when it came out. It's really unbalanced and no one plays it anymore but yo, I still love it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Dragon's Dogma

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#33 sgtsphynx  Moderator

@supermonkey122: I'm willing to give you K&L2 and Turok, but I think you're going to have to defend your choice of DNF. I thought that game was pretty damn bad, in line with most of the reviews that it received.

Not defending or anything, but I can see DNF in the sense that I don't feel it is actively bad, just incredible mediocre.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jewunit

I don't know if the PSP counts as this generation, but Corpse Party was a heck of a ride.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@animasta said:

Alpha Protocol and Nier

Alpha Protocol fits, but Nier probably doesn't. The majority of people who played the game loved it; it's just that said majority isn't a lot of people.

What are some games that not many people played or liked, but you think are good games? For me, I would have to say Kane and Lynch 2, Duke Nukem Forever, and the 2008 Turok game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King

@video_game_king said:

@animasta said:

Alpha Protocol and Nier

@supermonkey122 said:

DAMN YOU, MISLEADING TITLE TERMINOLOGY!!!

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lead_farmer

I'm going to say Valkyria Chronicles. It actually did review pretty well, but I'm still bitter about it not selling well enough for Sega to ship VC3 to western markets.

Yes.

@slag said:

Dragon's Dogma

And Yes.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time a topic like this pops up Nier always gets a mention. Kinda wish there was a copy available round my area (it's not) or a decent LP of it out there.

Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon

Valkyria Chronicles is a critical darling, I don't think it's underrated. Slight sales don't constitute an underrated tag, and I read that that game had a pretty strong second wave of sales anyway, and it ended up moving over a million units globally according to VGChartz.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@royce_mccutcheon: Yeah, I agree. I don't think Valkyria Chronicles is a great fit, but I'm still bummed about not being able to play VC3.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#41  Edited By breadfan
supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324 said:

Not defending or anything, but I can see DNF in the sense that I don't feel it is actively bad, just incredible mediocre.

I don't know, I just had a lot of fun with it.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, it was Alpha Protocol, Man of Prey, Inquisitor, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Euro Truck Simulator 2, and that's all I can recall right now. I'm sure there's more, but those stood out for me. All great games.

HeymanBrada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza 3, Eat Lead, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Every time one of these threads rolls around, I continue to have very little concept about what "underrated" actually means. If we're talking about games I liked that others did not, Dragon Age II. If we're talking about games I think deserve more attention, Dragon's Dogma. If we're talking about stuff that sold poorly... eff it. DmC: Devil May Cry.

@missacre said:

For me, it was Alpha Protocol, Man of Prey, Inquisitor, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Euro Truck Simulator 2, and that's all I can recall right now. I'm sure there's more, but those stood out for me. All great games.

As the only other person on these forums who has ever mentioned that game's existence, you and I are fighting now.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sinusoidal

Sly 4:Thieves in Time deserved more recognition than it got, even if (IMHO) it didn't really live up to the greatness of past entries in the series.

I'm hoping for a huge resurgence in 3D platformers next gen.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time one of these threads rolls around, I continue to have very little concept about what "underrated" actually means. If we're talking about games I liked that others did not, Dragon Age II. If we're talking about games I think deserve more attention, Dragon's Dogma. If we're talking about stuff that sold poorly... eff it. DmC: Devil May Cry.

@missacre said:

As the only other person on these forums who has ever mentioned that game's existence, you and I are fighting now.

Yay, an enemy! It's a great game, though, isn't it?

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage and Trinity: Souls of Z'ill Oll. Haven't played Nier yet so can't say; but considering I love Lu Bu's voice actor I'll probably like it by default. I think Rogue Legacy is a bit underrated as well. Deadly Premonition has like the 3rd or 4th best story of all video game time, hard to argue that it wasn't underrated; though by now its a cult classic. Double Dragon Neon is amazing, Tokyo Jungle is uniquely impressive. There's no ridiculously good games that only received good reviews that I can think of like Valkyrie Profile 2.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Orcs Must Die!

Really cool game, but never seemed to get a lot of respect like Dungeon Defenders landed.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Wemibelle

@granderojo said:

I don't like anime, but Analogue A Hate Story is an excellently designed text adventure.

Seconded. I still think I like Don't Take It Personally, Babe more because of its subject matter, but they're both great. Looking forward to getting around to Hate Plus at some point.

I recently played through Fragile Dreams on the Wii and that is a pretty fascinating game. Not sure if I would call it underrated, as I had quite a few problems with it, but still quite a good experience. Nothing else comes to mind, at least nothing I haven't already seen mentioned in this thread.