Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By Grissefar

@grissefar said:

@kevin_cogneto said:

@grissefar said:

@kevin_cogneto said:
  • Mega Man 10 -- Mega Man 9 got a lot of attention, this one was barely noticed. Which is a shame, because it's just as good.

Yeah? Well then why do they force me to shoot with the face buttons?

Because the shoulder buttons in 10 were used to switch weapons on the fly, which you had to do from the menu in 9. Also, what kind of monster shoots with the shoulder buttons in a Mega Man game?

Have you even any idea how awkward it is to jump and shoot using one finger on two face buttons? Trying to mash one button while ensuring the split second timing of the jump is a terrible mess that is so easily fixed.

Speaking with the full weight and authority of someone who completed the first four Mega Man games on the very shoulder-less NES controller when I was approximately nine years old, please allow me to invite you to stop being a baby.

Oh yeah? Speaking with the full weight and authority of someone who has completed the demos of both Mega Man 9 and 10 on the very shoulder-full Dualshock 3 controller when I was approximately twenty five years old, please allow me to invite you to stop sucking such a dick. Well bam.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@grissefar said:

@baillie said:
  • 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
  • Battlefield 1943
  • The Bourne Conspiracy
  • Cabela's Big Game Hunter
  • Crackdown
  • The Darkness
  • Hitman: Blood Money
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
  • Lost Via Domus
  • Mafia II
  • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
  • Prison Break
  • Saw / Saw 2: Flesh & Blood
  • Splinter Cell Conviction
  • Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
  • Street Fighter X Tekken
  • Terminator Salvation
  • TNA iMPACT
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
  • Viking
  • Wanted: Weapons of Fate
  • Wheelman

Wrong thread man. This one is for the most underrated games this generation, not the worst.

Come back when you've attempted to play any of them. All are much better than you would initially think.

• 50 Cent is really fun, with a great co-op.
  • Battlefield 1943 is FANTASTIC.
  • The Bourne Conspiracy is pretty fun.
  • Big Game Hunter is surprisingly enjoyable. Isn't great by any means, but it is dumb and fun. I've played the rest, they aren't.
  • Crackdown is awesome.
  • The Darkness has one of the best stories in video games.
  • Hitman: Blood Money is the epitome of stealth games.
  • Kane & Lynch 2, while lacking on the story of the first the style is great, especially the multiplayer.
  • Lost is really good, but only if you're a Lost fan to begin with.
  • Mafia II is easily one the most underrated games, so damn good.
  • Prince of Persia: TFS is really good, a nice throwback to the PS2 games.
  • Prison Break is pretty cool, follows the story of the series pretty well. Play only if you're a fan of the show.
  • The saw games are kind of broken, but they are still pretty fun. Not terrible like you'd imagine.
  • Splinter Cell Conviction is one of my favourite games of all time.
  • Star Wars: TFU has extremely fun gameplay with the best Star Wars story produced in a long, long time.
  • Street Fighter x Tekken is an extremely fun fighting game.
  • Terminator is a short, fun ride. Ain't awesome by any means, but I sure did enjoy my co-op time with it.
  • TNA iMPACT did things that surpassed anything in the WWE games have for years upon years. Building on the framework they had with the first game would have turned into something special.
  • GRAW 2 is awesome.
  • Viking is fun and I usually don't like those games.
  • Wanted is so, so fun. The curving bullets mechanic is so cool, I'm surprised I've not seen it implemented elsewhere.
  • Wheelman is awesome. The way the game plays is so unlike most driving games and I enjoyed it more than most.
ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By ervonymous

Not surprising but too bad the sequel never made it over or even to the PS3, damned region locks.

@bulby33 said:

Does someone want to give me a quick primer on Nier? I've heard good things about it and I have seen it for $5 all over the place.

Mediocre hack and slash action with light RPG elements, phenomenal soundtrack, neat boss fights & compelling story, world and characters. 5$ is criminal.

• Killer is Dead's combat is miles above anything Grasshopper's pulled off before so I don't get the hate on that department. I am biased towards parries and dodging n' weaving though.
  • Analogue: A Hate Story was mentioned before, ditto.
tonyp2121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Binary Domain, goddamn that game was way more fun then it had any right to be.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By HerbieBug

Just Cause 2. Of course a lot of the things that sour people away from it are absolutely justified and absolutely valid reasons to dismiss it entire*. Aside from that, I am of the opinion that it has the best open world control scheme and movement mechanics of any game in that genre made to date. And arguably the prettiest, if not the most interactive, environment design.

* reasons include: the missions suck, the story sucks, the voice acting is a level below suck but not quite low enough to come back around to hilariously and entertainingly bad.

I see Valkyria Chronicles mentioned a lot in this thread. I do not agree. That game is broken. As a tactical RPG I found it to be mediocre.

urban_ryoga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Zack and Wiki

Shadows of the Damned

To the Moon

Yatagarasu

Dracomaster01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lost Odyssey was great. I hope we get another game similar to it for the next console.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Doskias

@urban_ryoga:

Man, thank you for reminding me that Shadows of the Damned existed. That game was so fun! Did not get half the love it deserved.

...except for the part where you're standing still, and you have to shoot those oncoming... things. I don't remember it too clearly, but dude kept shouting "TASTE MY BIG BONER!" and it was kind of awful. Everything other than that was great.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Both Condemned games.

MelficeVKM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warhawk, Valkryia Chronicles. King of Fighters XIII if you like fighting games.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

Phantasy Star Universe. A new race? Blew my mind! Solid gameplay that doesn't try to be PSO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The Darkness for me. I miss the old Starbreeze.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asuras wrath

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#116  Edited By zaccheus

Alpha Protocol and The Saboteur.

Alpha Protocol definitely had it's problems on the gameplay side of things, but the story and how it's structured is just amazing fun. Also it's a spy RPG. Spy RPG!

The Saboteur is an amazing open world game. Hey, do you feel like strapping a ton of RDX on a car and driving it into a Nazi security checkpoint and blowing it to hell? How about fighting on a train going through the whole city? Jumping out of a burning blimp? I love the setting of Nazi occupied france, the black and white thing is amazing and the tone of the game is a fun mix of humor and real serious shit. Also the ending is fucking incredible.

magicwalnuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus said:

Alpha Protocol and The Saboteur.

Alpha Protocol definitely had it's problems on the gameplay side of things, but the story and how it's structured is just amazing fun. Also it's a spy RPG. Spy RPG!

The Saboteur is an amazing open world game. Hey, do you feel like strapping a ton of RDX on a car and driving it into a Nazi security checkpoint and blowing it to hell? How about fighting on a train going through the whole city? Jumping out of a burning blimp? I love the setting of Nazi occupied france, the black and white thing is amazing and the tone of the game is a fun mix of humor and real serious shit. Also the ending is fucking incredible.

Oh man, The Saboteur has to be the most underrated. I remember the only place to get that game on PC was direct 2 drive, and that service doesn't even exist anymore. Gameplay and story-wise it was awesome. Sure, we've had underrated goodies like Alpha Protocol, Binary Domain, Spec ops, Valkyria Chronicles, Singularity, Wolfenstein, and many more, but at least people occasionally talk about them. I haven't heard anybody mention that game in years, and it's not a very old game.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy XIII. I've played most of the series, and I still loved this game.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By squiDc00kiE

Orcs Must Die!

Really cool game, but never seemed to get a lot of respect like Dungeon Defenders landed.

Really? I loved both those games and I thought everyone was talking about Orcs and DD got shoved under the rug. Right place right time I guess.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@slag said:

Dragon's Dogma

I loved DD. Yet, acording to http://www.vgchartz.com DD sold 1.95 million units worldwide. I think that is pretty good for that game. It was good, with many very interesting ideas that mixed Western and Asian RPG ideas, but it was not really a 'great' game for common players. I think it sold what it needed to sell, and the next one (which will likely be more polished) should be the one people buy.

My pick would be Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#122  Edited By emfromthesea
Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mirror's Edge, I liked it more than most reviewers did.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Mirror's Edge, I liked it more than most reviewers did.

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#125  Edited By moonwalksa

I'd say Alpha Protocol, Saboteur, and Dishwasher: Dead Samurai.

Dishwasher in particular got fairly middling reviews (partly due to the IGN guy who reviewed it being terrible at it, partly due to being on the very early end of XBLA indie releases and reviewers not having a good sense of scale on how to score that stuff), and publicly it got kind of overshadowed by the much worse but more polished sequel. The game itself is basically a translation of Ninja Gaiden 2 gameplay onto a 2D plane, and at a high level of play it has a better pace and flow to its combat than almost any other action game I've played. Plus, the use of flicking the right stick to dodge in directions is a fantastic control scheme that I'm amazed hasn't been implemented more often. Seriously an overlooked gem.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I still look at those early Wii 3rd party games as vastly underrated and often ignored like Zack & Wiki, Rabbids Go Home and MadWorld.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cook

Serve

Delicious

confirm4crit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Two Worlds.

It was a janky, hilarious mess.. but it's no where near as bad as some people made it seem. If you could get past the bugs, bad voice acting and terrible animations, there were things to love and in many respects it was better than Oblivion.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@slag said:

Dragon's Dogma

I loved DD. Yet, acording to

http://www.vgchartz.com

DD sold 1.95 million units worldwide. I think that is pretty good for that game. It was good, with many very interesting ideas that mixed Western and Asian RPG ideas, but it was not really a 'great' game for common players. I think it sold what it needed to sell, and the next one (which will likely be more polished) should be the one people buy.

My pick would be

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

Well that begs the question. What does "Underrated" mean?

I took it to mean critical reception not commercial reception. But yeah it you're talking sales , DD is probably not underrated..

I thought Enslaved was ok, I'd say it counts too.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Ares42

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, Resonance of Fate. Most people won't understand it, as it's so unfamiliar, but once you get into it it's fucking fantastic. It's one of the handful of console games that I've played several times from this generation, and all the other ones are very well known games.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#132  Edited By Raven10

Singularity immediately pops to mind. Also Wolfenstein 08 while we're talking about Raven. The Darkness, Condemned 1 and 2, and FEAR. Also I thought Resistance 3 was incredible but I feel like most people just ignored it because they didn't like the second one. My favorite PS3 exclusive FPS.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@l1ghtn1n said:

@jasonr86 said:

Lostwinds 1 and 2

I completely forgot about those games, which is a shame since they were some of the best games on the Wii. Most of the games in this thread are ones I've seen/expected to be mentioned pretty much anytime this topic gets brought up but I don't think I've heard anything about Lost Winds since it released.

They were really good. Some of my favorite games on the Wii.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost Odyssey and Resonance Of Fate.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Off the top of my head, Binary Domain. Possibly Vanquish?

Then again, it's less that they were underrated and more that they weren't rated at all because no one played them.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dug Velvet Assassin a lot more than others did. Idk if The Saboteur was under rated per se, but it deserves a mention, too

Whoa...another person that played Velvet Assassin. Yeah, that game was alright. Didn't do much for me mechanically, but it definitely stood out with its visual style and the focus on some of the more horrifying events of ww2.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Hitman Absolution got considerably more flack then it really deserved, even if it wasn't quite a worthy Blood Money follow up.

Games like Persona 3-4 are moreso underacknowledged then underrated, but were probably my most surprising and positive experiences this gen (if you go by time instead of by platform).

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matt Rorie's Alpha Protocol

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

dead nation its a really good game yet no one ever talks about it

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

Resident Evil 6. The demo and everything negative I heard about it put me off to the point where I didn't even get the full game until about a week ago. Now I'm a couple of hours into Leon's campaign and really enjoying it. The combat system is excellent (it takes a while to really get the hang of it though, because there's no other system quite like it and the game doesn't explain much about what you can do), the pacing is great, the set pieces are really thrilling, and the presentation is out of this world. It's no RE4 but it's a very good game.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost Odyssey is easily on this list.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By korwin

Lost Odyssey is easily on this list.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The Darkness and Enslaved are the only ones I can think of right now.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Agreed. I enjoyed the open world madness in that one more than any Saints Row yet. It was hilarious, crazy, and things like skydiving and hijacking planes were great innovations. Plus the underwater looked awesome. And when you climbed up mountains it really felt like you were high up above, with the snowfall and everything.

Criminally underrated

Just Cause 2. Of course a lot of the things that sour people away from it are absolutely justified and absolutely valid reasons to dismiss it entire*. Aside from that, I am of the opinion that it has the best open world control scheme and movement mechanics of any game in that genre made to date. And arguably the prettiest, if not the most interactive, environment design.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

A few that come to mind.

• Vanqish
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Valkyria Chronicles
  • Catherine